Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New 50-22 law under review after Western Force suffer loss to Waratahs in Super Rugby

Champion
    vCash

New 50-22 law under review after Western Force suffer loss to Waratahs in Super Rugby

So Gardner knows he's wrong and apologises. Doesn't make me feel any better.

Apology issued to Force after ref blunder
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Sunday, 12 July 2020 2:40PM

The controversial referee decision that produced a huge momentum swing against Western Force in their loss to the Waratahs was wrong, officials have ruled.

Rugby Australia’s match review committee said referee Angus Gardner should not have awarded a line-out to the Waratahs under the new 50-22 law that produced the swing in the Force’s 23-14 loss at the SCG on Saturday night.

Gardner telephoned Force coach Tim Samson to apologise for the error after the review decision.

Two decisions made under the new law were reviewed by RA’s referee manager Scott Young, referee coach Mitch Chapman and Director of Rugby Scott Johnson.

Under the law, if a kick from inside a team’s own half bounces into touch in the opposition 22 metres the kicking side gets the line-out.

Crucially the passage of play before the kick must start inside their half.

When Karmichael Hunt kicked long into the Force 22 after 60 minutes the starting ruck was inside the Force half and they should have been awarded the line-out.

It wasn’t and from the set piece Waratahs second-rower Tom Staniforth crashed over to put his side ahead for the first time.

Fourteen minutes later Hunt again kicked long for touch. Initially the assistant referee marked the ball outside the 22-metre line.

The Force quickly played on into attack but were called back when Waratahs players complained and the match officials changed the decision.

The RA review committee found that decision was correct.

The TV match official cannot fully adjudicate on 50-22 rulings but he did monitor both decisions and agreed with the referee.

That is expected to change with the referee set to be able to ask the TMO to make rulings.

Force coach Tim Sampson said his side had plenty of belief and nothing to prove heading into Friday’s clash with the Reds at Suncorp Stadium.

“We didn’t go into the game worried about proving people wrong. We have to have belief after that performance,” Sampson said.

“We were comfortable with the way the club has been travelling.

“There was no sign of nerves. There was no sign of us playing on too much emotion.”

The Force had a bye in the first round and came close to producing a fairytale win, 1092 days since they humiliated the Waratahs 40-11 in their final Super Rugby match before the Rugby Australia axe fell.

“We rattled them a few times. I take my hat off to the guys for that first half,” Sampson said.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by wholetruth; 12-07-20 at 17:35.

vCash
    Whaddya know- I’m so surprised they got it wrong. Does that mean they get awarded some extra points?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Good on him for calling and apologising. With the law change mistakes are bound to happen.

Wasn’t great but who can say they get everything right all the time at work apart from Trump.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    It should never been trialled in the first place.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Champion
    vCash
    But why didn't they use the TMO when they brought the law in. Now is too late for us.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Not the first time Gardner’s screwed the Force!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    It should never been trialled in the first place.
    Hard to disagree. But not because of any mistakes. The idea has some merit as a way of opening space as the outside backs need to be on guard in anticipation. But 50-22 is just too easy. 40-22 is a better option. Just mark the 10m lines in red. If that's too Mungo then yellow wiil do

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Groundhog day

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    These new laws, 50 - 22, line drop out, etc just bring us closer to League.

Here are my 2 pennies worth.
    1. If and when a penalty is awarded, whomever has the ball must immediately get it into the hands of the team who has been awarded the penalty, otherwise a 10m march.
    2. No free kicks at lineout for crooked throws if opposition does not even compete - play on.
    3. incorrect entry at tackle - free kick , not a penalty.
    4. Reduce points for Penalty from 3 to 2.
    5. scrum to be set immediately, - if prop goes down to tie shoelaces or some other time wasting ploy the, ref marches team back 10m.
    6. Lineout mauls can only continue if ball carrier is at front of maul with ball in hand, if ball is passed back, it is shepherding.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    And,while we are at it,bring back rucking! LOL

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    These new laws, 50 - 22, line drop out, etc just bring us closer to League. Here are my 2 pennies worth. 1. If and when a penalty is awarded, whomever has the ball must immediately get it into the hands of the team who has been awarded the penalty, otherwise a 10m march. 2. No free kicks at lineout for crooked throws if opposition does not even compete - play on. 3. incorrect entry at tackle - free kick , not a penalty. 4. Reduce points for Penalty from 3 to 2. 5. scrum to be set immediately, - if prop goes down to tie shoelaces or some other time wasting ploy the, ref marches team back 10m. 6. Lineout mauls can only continue if ball carrier is at front of maul with ball in hand, if ball is passed back, it is shepherding.
    Incorrect entry at ruck isn't policed in super rugby au, look at every ruck involvement by Mr Hooper for evidence

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    And,while we are at it,bring back rucking! LOL

....and The Biff. Dead set!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    50/22 is rubbish - get rid of it.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Incorrect entry at ruck isn't policed in super rugby au, look at every ruck involvement by Mr Hooper for evidence
    Especially for that first steal he got as we were pressing for the line early.

Player
    vCash
    Of Course if you read GAGR this never happened. When I tried to bring it up in a post I was hounded. Comments such as "best State won" and "result confirms spreadsheet was right and the correct team was cut" just a couple. However they are wetting their pants at the thought of getting their hands on Twiggys money!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast