By Georgina Robinson
    July 8, 2020 — 7.58pm
    Share on Facebook
    Share on Twitter
    Share on Whatsapp
    Send via Email
    Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
    Leave a comment

A surprise visit from Australian cricket coach Justin Langer has put extra fire in the bellies of Force players gearing up for their Super Rugby return clash with the Waratahs on Saturday.

A West Australian great, Langer was drafted in by Force coach Tim Sampson to talk to the playing squad about the state's long history of "dishing it up" to their east coast rivals in the sporting arena.

Justin Langer gave the Western Force squad a pre-match pep talk.
    Justin Langer gave the Western Force squad a pre-match pep talk.CREDITA

The Force break their three-year exile from Super Rugby against NSW at the SCG on Saturday night. With so many Sydney-raised players in the squad, Sampson said the side planned to make themselves at home.

"It's going to work in our advantage as our second home," he said.

Advertisement

"I gave Justin a heads-up about the fact a number of our guys are from Sydney and he touched on past experiences of Western Australia being successful in different sports, and having that desire to go over there and dish up to the east coast big time.

"He's a West Australian through and through and so proud and passionate about WA. You could hear a pin drop in the room, he told some really good stories about what it takes to win, especially when you're perceived to be the underdogs.

Greg Holmes and Ollie Aitkins are among the Force's high-calibre new recruits.
    Greg Holmes and Ollie Aitkins are among the Force's high-calibre new recruits.CREDIT:GETTY

"The blokes were still talking about it after training today and a few guys came up to me and said, 'Gee, he'd be a great guy to have a beer with.

"He talked for about 30 minutes then stayed and watched our preview meeting. He got right into it, had his fists clenched as he talked."

Advertisement

The Force will arrive in Sydney on Friday with a good mix of stalwarts and newcomers, with six high-calibre new recruits in Kyle Godwin, Jono Lance, Greg Holmes, Nick Frisby, Pek Cowan and Ollie Atkins.

Their arrivals from all over the UK and Europe have upped the experience and quality of Sampson's squad, tempered by the reality of quarantine-affected physical preparations. Lance had to serve two quarantine periods – on the east coast and in Perth – after returning from the UK.

But there is a strong sense of the occasion generating its own adrenalin. This will be the Force's return to the Super Rugby family after a long and – for supporters at least – anguished exile.

Even the match-up is heavy with symbolism. The Force trounced the Waratahs 40-11 in Perth in their final game in the 2017 Super Rugby season.

"It certainly will be special and I won't hide away from that fact," Sampson said. "I don't like going deep into the past and I wasn't here at the time but it is very special without a doubt and I am just so stoked for the players. That's when I get goose bumps, knowing what they're going to be involved in for the first week back is really special.

Advertisement

"Then for the fans and supporters, it's hard to explain – and I didn't know what it was like over here previously – but they're a very tight, very vocal membership and this will mean a lot."

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Jeez I love that kina talk. Roll on!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Onya Simbo! Just let the boys off the leash- they know what to do.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Wish I could be there FOXTEL’s going to be the best we can do!
    Go the Force!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    A few InnFORCEers getting together at for the game.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    A few InnFORCEers getting together at for the game.
    Meanwhile, in other news; The sun will rise in the morning.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David