Thread: Ex-Wallaby Pek Cowan signs on for Western Force

Champion
    vCash

Ex-Wallaby Pek Cowan signs on for Western Force

He's back! You beauty. Frisby will add a bit of depth too

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Thursday, 2 July 2020 7:00AM

Western Force have brought home foundation member and former Wallabies front-rower Pek Cowan as they continue their signing spree and strengthen the squad for the Australian Super Rugby competition.
    They have also snared another international, former Queensland Reds scrum-half Nick Frisby, who has returned to Australia after spells with French club Bordeaux and Pro 14 side Glasgow Rangers.
    Fan favourite Cowan vowed never to play for another Australian club when the Force was guillotined from Super Rugby by Rugby Australia three years ago.
    His former captain Matt Hodgson said Cowan deserved another opportunity to play for the club he joined as a teenager. Cowan has gained a release from Japanese side Shimizu Blue Sharks.
    Cowan, 34, is the Force’s second most capped player with 130 appearances, 11 behind Hodgson who is now Global Rapid Rugby’s director of rugby. Cowan made 10 Wallabies appearances.
    Cowan and Hodgson were the only two remaining foundation players when the club was axed.
    “I played with Pek for most of my career. He is a top bloke and a true Force player at heart,” Hodgson said.
    “As soon as he saw there was an opportunity to play with the team, even for a short while, we both knew he had to be included.
    “After what happened in 2017 he left Australian rugby because he couldn’t see himself playing for another Australian team. His return means a great deal to him and the club.
    “It will be massive to see Pek play rugby in Australia again.”
    Hodgson said Frisby would add another layer of experience to the team.
    “Nick is a very talented player who moved overseas for more opportunities,” he said.
    “He is an intelligent scrum half with an exceptional running game that will be vital for the upcoming games.
    “He has matured his skills playing overseas and we are excited to bring this level of player back to Australia.”
    Frisby made 66 Reds appearances after his his 2012 debut and played four times for the Wallabies.
    He signed for Glasgow two years ago and was looking at a move to New Zealand before the Force swooped.
    Cowan will quarantine in Sydney and join the team at their NSW hub while Frisby, who is in Brisbane, will join his new teammates when they arrive in Sydney for their first game against the Waratahs in nine days.
    The Force have also added Kyle Godwin, Greg Holmes, Jono Lance, Ollie Atkins, Kane Koteka and Jordan Luke to their squad.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    You have to love this bloke

Returning Western Force star Pek Cowan raring to leave quarantine ‘jail’
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Saturday, 4 July 2020 2:00AM

Even the prospect of 14 days in a hotel “jail cell” cannot dampen the spirits of returning Western Force prop Pek Cowan.
    Cowan is in quarantine in Sydney ahead of the Force campaign in the new Australian Super Rugby competition.
    The fan favourite promised never to play for another Australian club when the Force were axed by Rugby Australia three years ago.
    Social media response to news of the foundation member’s return shows what he means to fans and teammates.
    Fellow front-rower Kieran Longbottom tweeted: “If @Pekcowan coming back to the @westernforce isn’t something of the best news of the year, I don’t know what is.”
    Cowan, who was given special dispensation from Japanese club Shimizu Blue Sharks to return to the club where he started as a teenager, said: “I never thought I’d see this again. It’s awesome to be back or close to it.
    “It is something that I hoped would happen but you never really expect that fairytale opportunity to come again.
    “I’m stoked. Not even this 5m x 5m room can dampen my spirits at the moment.”
    Cowan, 34, was able to train despite being in lockdown in Japan but the mid-year competition was cancelled and with the full season not starting until January he spoke with good mate Matt Hodgson, his former Force captain and now Global Rapid Rugby director of rugby.
    “I was still training but essentially I was sitting in Japan twiddling my thumbs,” Cowan said.
    “It was a perfect storm that allowed me to come back. As bad as everything has been it’s been a little shining light for me.
    “I saw that the Force had been put back into Super Rugby, then that it had been scheduled a bit differently with just the Aussie teams, and I thought this is perfect for me.
    “I had talks with Hodgo and my club reluctantly agreed that it was the right thing for me because it is more than just playing. It means more to me.”
    His arrival in Sydney was delayed but he will be out of quarantine a couple of days before the Force’s game against the Reds.
    “When I get out of jail it’s up to me to get up to speed. I know there’s probably a lot of expectation for me to be right,” Cowan said.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Apologies posted it twice but the great man probably deserves it.

Returning Western Force star Pek Cowan raring to leave quarantine ‘jail’
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Saturday, 4 July 2020 2:00AM

Even the prospect of 14 days in a hotel “jail cell” cannot dampen the spirits of returning Western Force prop Pek Cowan.
    Cowan is in quarantine in Sydney ahead of the Force campaign in the new Australian Super Rugby competition.
    The fan favourite promised never to play for another Australian club when the Force were axed by Rugby Australia three years ago.
    Social media response to news of the foundation member’s return shows what he means to fans and teammates.
    Fellow front-rower Kieran Longbottom tweeted: “If @Pekcowan coming back to the @westernforce isn’t something of the best news of the year, I don’t know what is.”
    Cowan, who was given special dispensation from Japanese club Shimizu Blue Sharks to return to the club where he started as a teenager, said: “I never thought I’d see this again. It’s awesome to be back or close to it.
    “It is something that I hoped would happen but you never really expect that fairytale opportunity to come again.
    “I’m stoked. Not even this 5m x 5m room can dampen my spirits at the moment.”
    Cowan, 34, was able to train despite being in lockdown in Japan but the mid-year competition was cancelled and with the full season not starting until January he spoke with good mate Matt Hodgson, his former Force captain and now Global Rapid Rugby director of rugby.
    “I was still training but essentially I was sitting in Japan twiddling my thumbs,” Cowan said.
    “It was a perfect storm that allowed me to come back. As bad as everything has been it’s been a little shining light for me.
    “I saw that the Force had been put back into Super Rugby, then that it had been scheduled a bit differently with just the Aussie teams, and I thought this is perfect for me.
    “I had talks with Hodgo and my club reluctantly agreed that it was the right thing for me because it is more than just playing. It means more to me.”
    His arrival in Sydney was delayed but he will be out of quarantine a couple of days before the Force’s game against the Reds.
    “When I get out of jail it’s up to me to get up to speed. I know there’s probably a lot of expectation for me to be right,” Cowan said.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!