Thread: Western Force flanker Chris Alcock set to announce retirement today

Champion
    vCash

Western Force flanker Chris Alcock set to announce retirement today

Damm. Confirmation this morning. Sorry to see him go. A great warrior

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Friday, 26 June 2020 7:00AM

Uncompromising flanker Chris Alcock has played his last game for Western Force.
    The tough openside, who has had two spells at the Force, will announce his retirement today.
    He was the first player signed in 2013 by then coach Michael Foley who also launched his Super Rugby career at the Waratahs, plucking him from the Shute Shield where he was playing for the Gordon club.
    Alcock played in every game that season but managed just three matches the following year after needing surgery to fix a shoulder he injured against the Waratahs in the opening round.
    Injuries limited him to just 30 games in four seasons before he left for the Brumbies and a spell in Japan, but he was one of the first players to re-sign for the Force when they were saved by billionaire Andrew Forrest after the controversial axing by Rugby Australia.
    He had an excellent World Series Rugby campaign and his National Rugby Championship form had coach Tim Sampson saying he should have been a bolter for Australia’s November tour of Europe.
    In the 2019 Global Rapid Rugby showcase series he fractured an eye socket and then needed knee and ankle surgery after damage in the NRC campaign.
    He recovered, was ready for the GRR season that was mothballed after one round because of the Coronavirus crisis, and was training ahead of the new Super season.
    But it seems injuries have made the decision for him.
    Alcock scored a memorable first try for the Force in the opening game of the 2015 season, the shock 25-13 win over reigning champions Waratahs at Allianz Stadium.
    He said that once captain Matt Hodgson - who he had to play behind for a long time - had retired and pulled on a suit he wouldn’t be able to compare battle wounds.
    “I’d hate to think how many stitches we had between us," he said.
    "I had over 100 in the face before I decided I didn’t want to keep count any more.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    All the best champ, thanks for your service

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    A real warrior who put his body on the line every game. Unfortunate to play in an era when we had a number of good 7s in the country, as his play (when fully fit) should have warranted a call-up to the Wallaby squad.

All the best for whatever you decide to move onto Chris - I doubt you'll ever have to stand a round in JBs or a number of other pubs around Perth.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Champion
    vCash
    Sad to hear this and best of luck for for the future!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Very underrated player - though not by many around here. Best of luck. With the situation in Victoria the chances of home games in Perth seems unlikely now. Who knows; perhaps an extended stay away was not ideal for his situation just now.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David