Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Rugby Season That Really Isn't.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

The Rugby Season That Really Isn't.

The 2020 season (abridged version) starts this weekend.

A handful of scratch matches were played in early March, and one or two have been played in the last two weeks by each club.

They are probably not much of an indication of the strength of the various clubs, but they are all we have to go on.

So far there has been silence. Does anyone have any results or opinions of relative strengths?

Pally played UWA in March, and to put it bluntly they were crappy games, with Uni then being slightly the crappier. They will have recruited and improved.

Pally played Perth last weekend and did reasonably well in all three grades contested. Perth though have recruited half a dozen quality Kiwis and will push many teams in the comp.

Apparently Curtin has large numbers, and Palmyra will be struggling to match their depth, if not their quality as well.

Covid reportedly cost a few clubs a motsa in recruiting costs, with the overseas players bailing out with no refunds. Some clubs were moaning because their foreign recruits, who hadn't done a day's work in Australia, weren't entitled to Jobkeeper, FFS! How do you feel, as a taxpayer, about paying for their players?

According to the Local Nedlands community papers Nedlands are on the bones of their arse. They have been forced to poach locally, with Rockingham and Kalamunda players being the recipients of their favours. Surely RugbyWA will intervene, but I'm not holding my breath. After all, what's different this time, apart from the names of the victim clubs?

So, what's been happening elsewhere?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    RugbyWA sent out a stern letter telling unnamed clubs that they are very naughty boys and not the messiahs for poaching from other unnamed clubs.

Some comments in the letter for age rep players and coaching staff aligned to certain clubs as well.

Didn’t find it amusing that one club was in the community paper complaining about funds and then poached players from other clubs. Same club I believe bemoaning no job keeper eligibility. And no wouldn’t be an impressive use of tax payer funds.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Given the resurgence of Covid, the paper the stern letter was written on will be put to good use, I'm sure.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Great to see some local rugby banter. I'm not involved with any local club but do enjoy heading to watch pally and having a few beers and a kick around with my young bloke. Bring on this season.

Champion
    vCash
    I think I saw Vermeulen, Kolisi, Du Plessis and Am training with the boys at the Foreshore in one team ... Maybe I was dreaming....

Rookie
    vCash
    Southern Lions Rugby Club ready to roar on season's eve

Ben Smith
    Cockburn Gazette
    June 30, 2020 4:00PM

AFTER staring down the prospect of a cancelled season, Southern Lions Rugby Football Club are chomping at the bit to get back on the field this Saturday.

The Success-based rugby union club are looking forward to kicking off their Premier Grade campaign against Joondalup.

The Lions were one of many sporting clubs around the country facing the prospect of losing an entire season, but with Rugby WA given the green light to commence their season, their top side is raring to go.

First team coach Brett Fell paid tribute to his squad for their hard work while they were in limbo over whether the season would be going ahead.

“We hoped all along (the season would go ahead),” he said.

“The boys have done the work and now there’s some opportunity to play rugby. That’s what they want to do.

Fell admitted it had been difficult to organise sessions at the beginning of the isolation period, given the uncertainty over the future of the season.

“We just stayed in contact with them over the phone or on Facebook and encouraged them to work and if the competition was going to happen, we needed to be ready.

“The closer it got, the better we got, the early stages they were pretty disappointed but we got through it.”

President Ronan O’Shea said the entire club had been enthusiastic about their return to the fields and it was exciting to see families and teams fill up their home ground once more.

“As soon as they eased the restrictions, we got small groups down and we got families down doing some training with some of the junior coaches,” he said.

“We just progressively got more and more people down as the numbers increased.”

With the Premier Grade season now a lock, Fell said his side was aiming for consistency as they looked to further establish themselves in the State’s top league.

“It’s only our third year up in this grade, so it’ll be a development year for us I think,” he said.

“The aim is to try and compete, get up there with the performance of each game and hopefully knock over some of the top teams and challenge ourselves to do well against the low ones.”

https://www.perthnow.com.au/communit...-eve-c-1134526

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    I think I saw Vermeulen, Kolisi, Du Plessis and Am training with the boys at the Foreshore in one team ... Maybe I was dreaming....
    that's some serious dreaming Hansie - I'd blame the mushroom fricassee

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    And I just heard that Chiliboy Ralepelle has suddenly come on the transfer market to join that illustrious quartet at Nedlands this weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    And I just heard that Chiliboy Ralepelle has suddenly come on the transfer market to join that illustrious quartet at Nedlands this weekend.
    Sucked in Neddies! Peter V'Landys has just signed Chilly and the Du Plessis brothers to a short term contract for 2020. Just in case the Kangroos lose out in the law variation negotiations with the AB's and are forced to contest scrums in the Hybrid Showcase. Or was that Headcase? PVL has even arranged with ScoMo to facilitate fast-tracking Permanent Resident status for the boys, in case there is any argy-bargy with Kiwi Border Force. Dead Set!!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I have it on good authority that Chiliboy won't be playing for anyone except Neddies for the next eight years.

vCash
    Palmyra put up a short report and a team list for Saturdays game on their instagram (I think - not too conversant with these intertubies thingammys).

Some very interesting reserves, which I would have thought were first choice selections.

I hope they get a run in reserves.

vCash
    I have it on good authority that Chiliboy won't be playing for anyone except Neddies for the next eight years.
    Yep. But the Mungo's are a very forgiving lot. They ate used to it. And both sides are desperate for filthy lucre. Ethics will come second. Dead set!

Champion
    vCash
    Palmyra put up a short report and a team list for Saturdays game on their instagram (I think - not too conversant with these intertubies thingammys).

Some very interesting reserves, which I would have thought were first choice selections.

I hope they get a run in reserves.
    Is Jake Ball on that list?

vCash
    Who blabbed, Hansie?

vCash
    Only a couple of match results on the RugbyWA website. Is it so damned hard to ring a club official or have a club official ring RugbyWA? And we (the rugby community) pay these guys to work Saturdays?

Anyway, Pally beat Curtin, Uni beat Wests, Nedlands fell over the line against Rock/Mand and Kala and Perth drew.

And that's about all I've been able to find out.

Piss poor coverage from RugbyWA.

Forrest will be wasting the money he promised.

He would be better off paying it in tax.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast