Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Western Force owner Andrew Forrest gives $5 million boost to grass roots rugby in WA

Senior Player
    vCash

Western Force owner Andrew Forrest gives $5 million boost to grass roots rugby in WA

Western Force owner Andrew Forrest gives $5 million boost to grass roots rugby in WA

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881592701z

Cant get past the paywall? Does anyone have access to the full article?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Would that mean that RugbyWA could buy Rugby Australia?

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Monday, 29 June 2020 11:21AM

WA rugby has received a massive $5 million boost from mining magnate and Western Force owner Andrew Forrest.

Forrest and wife Nicola have committed the money over five years to create a grassroots-to-elite pathways program.

The funding comes on top of $2 million they have already committed to women’s and children’s rugby in the state.

Former Force and Wallabies legend David Pocock has signed on as founding ambassador of the program.

Forrest saved the Force and created Global Rapid Rugby when Rugby Australia refused his $70 million offer to keep the club alive after the governing body controversially axed them from Super Rugby three years ago.

The $7 million is the largest contribution to grassroots rugby in the state’s history and one of the largest private contributions to grassroots sports in Australia.

It will see a major expansion of the Rugby Roos program for girls and boys aged 5 to 12, increase rugby participation within WA public high schools and create a strong and highly competitive schools competition.

“We aim to flip the priorities of rugby, to make the sport stronger,” Forrest said.

“This is about building and supporting our passionate rugby community, the young players, the mums

and dads, the schools, the clubs, the volunteers, and making Western Australia a true rugby heartland.

"We plan to make this a great rugby state, a real powerhouse, with far more locally grown players.

“Nicola and I firmly believe we need to grow this from the ground up.

"Our ambition is to provide young talent with the skills, support, competition and a clear pathway to the highest level of the game, feeding into the Western Force men’s and Rugby WA women’s professional teams.

“We have a clear vision to shape an exceptional rugby product within WA, rather than our talented youth looking to eastern states or overseas for opportunities.”

Pocock made his debut for the Force in 2006, played 69 games for the club and made 83 appearances for the Wallabies, nine as captain.

"The Western Force gave me an incredible opportunity to begin my professional career as a 17-year-old,” the former flanker said.

“I loved my seven years in Perth, getting to see the game grow and being embraced by Western Australians and the Sea of Blue.

"I'm excited to have this opportunity to give back to the WA rugby community and see the next generation of Western Australians enjoying the game.

"This generous investment in the game will help grow the sport and provide pathways to the highest levels of competition for girls and boys.”

The program is also backed by former Wallaby captains, amongst them Michael Lynagh and Simon Poidevin.

“I’m thrilled to see this exciting initiative by the Forrest's, which I enthusiastically support, as rugby is all about community," Lynagh said.

"We have so much potential sporting ability in Australia which needs to be encouraged, nurtured and developed. Such an ambitious grassroots program in Western Australia deserves to be applauded."

Poidevin: said: “This is an amazingly generous and visionary investment in the game by Andrew and Nicola, an investment in the game in WA and the young kids who will be the stars of the future.

"Strong rugby in the west is vital to Australia as it works to regain its position amongst the top rugby nations in the world."

Rugby WA chief executive Bob Hunter said: “We fully support this fantastic initiative.

"The generous support of Andrew and Nicola Forrest, and their passion for building great communities and grass roots rugby right here in WA, will benefit young people all across the State for decades to come."

The program launches State-wide next year.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Thanks Twiggy and Nicola. You will create a huge growth in rugby in WA over the next 5 years. WA will rightfully be called the new heartland of rugby in Australia.
    Now the Force need to go out win the Super comp this year.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    This is a great initiative and will make WA a Rugby Stronghold in 5-10 years. The support that Twiggy has shown rugby in WA should be applauded.

vCash
    Meanwhile, in other news.....

More than a quarter of staff let go at NSW Rugby - SMH

All 12 development officers at NSW Rugby have been made redundant and more than a quarter of the organisation's staff let go.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...29-p557cr.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

They ignored them for so long, it is what they deserve

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post

All 12 development officers at NSW Rugby have been made redundant and more than a quarter of the organisation's staff let go.

On the same page of the Sydney Morning Herald
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...29-p5578d.html

And I was thinking last night that Twiggy needs to find about a dozen junior development officers from somewhere to go out into the the non-rugby playing schools, WA regional areas, junior clubs, women teams and to expand Rugby Roos.

vCash
    Has Pocock retired from all forms of the game or just test rugby? wouldn't mind seeing him in Force colours again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post

I don't understand this quote

Quote Originally Posted by SMH View Post
    The savings out of the professional game are probably twice that of the community game because we can’t cut players or staff because we’re committed to the [Super Rugby AU] competition.
    Wouldn't the savings out of the professional game be lower due to that?

C'mon the

vCash
    Have the Pococks moved back to Perth to live?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Have the Pococks moved back to Perth to live?
    No. In The West today there are different quotes from him and he says once restrictions are lifted he'll come back and help with some coaching.
    He's still in Canberra

vCash
    Not to take anything away from Pococks involvement - but it would've been nice if he'd been a bit more vocally supportive when the Force was axed at the time. Now that everything's getting rosy & he doesn't have a job, it's all very convenient.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Now that everything's getting rosy & he doesn't have a job, it's all very convenient.
    If the press is accurate, it's an honorary position. Which should mean he's only being compensated expenses.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    How do you know Pocock doesn't have a job?

Cynicism is not a desirable trait.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast