Thread: Gallen to address Waratahs on the Origins of interstate hate

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Gallen to address Waratahs on the Origins of interstate hate

Georgina Robinson 1 hour ago

He was responsible for an act of State of Origin aggression he admitted "ruined" rugby league and now Blues great Paul Gallen will address the Waratahs dressing room on interstate hate ahead of the Super Rugby opener between NSW and Queensland next weekend.

The former NSW captain was invited into the Waratahs team room at Daceyville on Thursday to talk to the young NSW group about his experiences of the cross-border rivalry before the Waratahs face the Reds at Suncorp Stadium next Friday night.

The meeting was brokered by the Waratahs' team manager, Shane Smith, who is friends with Gallen from his time as operations manager at the Sharks.

More than any other Australian side the Waratahs want to make a fresh start in the abbreviated Super Rugby AU competition, having started the aborted 2020 season with a disastrous five losses for only one win before the tournament was shut down in mid-March.

Drafting in the presence of the 25-game Origin forward is a good place to start. Aside from a career as long as any in professional football, Gallen's 2013 one-two punch dust up with Maroons rival Nate Myles is up there with the all time great stinks in State of Origin's modern history.

Sparked by a sledge and act of physical aggression from Myles, it led to the NRL's one-punch automatic sin bin rule which, Gallen joked last year, had "ruined the game".

"Unfortunately I was suspended for it - I think the only person to be suspended for a fight in State of Origin, which wasn't great. And then obviously ruined the game, because the no-punch rule is in now," he told Sporting News.

"But Nate and Queensland and myself handled it better than anyone. We left it out there because we knew what the game's about, we knew what happened and that's where it should have stayed.

"I'd do it again, yeah."

The clash routinely makes lists of the top 10 Origin niggles and has generated a myriad 'behind the punch-up' interviews and recollections, with Gallen documenting it in sledge-by-sledge-by-knee-twist detail in his 2019 autobiography 'Heart and Soul'.

The only person shifting uncomfortably in his seat on Thursday could be Waratahs captain Rob Simmons, a country-raised Queenslander with a decade's service under his belt for the Reds before NSW offered him a shot at career rejuvenation in 2017.

Meanwhile, Waratahs chief executive Paul Doorn confirmed the Waratahs would open their home season at the Sydney Cricket Ground with a round two clash with the Western Force on Saturday July 11.

"We think the vast majority of our games are hopefully going to be played at the SCG this year, but we've got some flexibility up our sleeve to be able to take our games to either ANZ or Bankwest," Doorn said.

"We just won't be going on the road this year, for all the reasons around our COVID-19 restrictions. As much as we were so looking forward to playing in Tamworth, that's something we just can't do this year."

Also on Wednesday, the Sydney Rugby Union said it had reached agreement with Seven for the network to broadcast live on 7Two a game of the round when the Shue Shield kicks off on July 18.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...cid=spartandhp

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I just read that. It's a move that will be greatly welcomed by the likes of Fulvio and GIGS. Bringing one of the most reviled Mungos (even by Bluse supporters) of the modern era into the fold for a motivational session. I have only one thing to add. QUEENSLANDER!!!! (ouch).

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Paul Gallen is a perennial loser

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I just read that. It's a move that will be greatly welcomed by the likes of Fulvio and GIGS. Bringing one of the most reviled Mungos (even by Bluse supporters) of the modern era into the fold for a motivational session. I have only one thing to add. QUEENSLANDER!!!! (ouch).
    TBH I'm OK with it, I never said the Tahs were smart rugby players, so he won't be talking too far below their intellectual level

C'mon the

vCash
    Wash your mouth out Shasta, you're starting to sound like Billy Moore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper1 View Post
    Wash your mouth out Shasta, you're starting to sound like Billy Moore.
    Apologies. That was not easy. But we are talking the Waratahs. I've even been guilty of hoping The Rabble could beat them.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Looks like the Tahs are following the Brisbane Broncos model: Trot the excuses out before a ball has been kicked..............

Injuries force Waratahs to field side full of youngsters against Reds - SMH

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...30-p557mt.html

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Looks like the Tahs are following the Brisbane Broncos model: Trot the excuses out before a ball has been kicked..............

That’s exactly what I thought reading it this am.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash

Is the Mitch Short who is in line for the starting halfback slot the same Mitch Short who turned up for the Force? if so, I think Stitch has that position covered, I also not with interest that Ned Hanigan is available, so they could be naming a set of locks that could be bested by Marshmallow and Blancmange. (in Hanigan and Simmons)

The nippy flyhalf from the NRC team would be a good inclusion though.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Is the Mitch Short who is in line for the starting halfback slot the same Mitch Short who turned up for the Force? if so, I think Stitch has that position covered, I also not with interest that Ned Hanigan is available, so they could be naming a set of locks that could be bested by Marshmallow and Blancmange. (in Hanigan and Simmons)

The nippy flyhalf from the NRC team would be a good inclusion though.
    Yes, the two options for the Tahs at scrum-half behind Jake Gordon are Michael McDonald (ex-Perth Spirit) and Mitch Short (ex-Force). Nice to see that Sydney is developing their own players.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Tbh I'd be more concerned if McDonald got the start than short.

Carlo tizzano is another example of the health of NSW pathways

C'mon the