Thread: Former Wallabies prop Greg Holmes and is hoping to recreate his favourite Rugby memor

Champion
    vCash

Former Wallabies prop Greg Holmes and is hoping to recreate his favourite Rugby memor

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Saturday, 20 June 2020 11:20AM

New Western Force prop Greg Holmes has fond memories of Perth after scoring his unforgettable first international try at Subiaco Oval.
    In 2006 the then Queensland Red picked up the ball at the back of a ruck and raced 60 metres to score the try that went down in front row club history in the Wallabies 37-15 win over Ireland.
    He was lured to the Force from English Premiership heavyweight Exeter, where he has spent the past two seasons, by coach Tim Sampson and his forwards assistant Van Humphries.
    He played with Sampson at Brisbane club Sunnybank and for Queensland ‘A’ and Super Rugby with Humphries at the Reds.
    Now, one week into his 14-day quarantine Holmes, who has 27 Wallaby appearances and played 144 games for the Reds, still can’t believe he is back in top flight Australian rugby.
    Sean McMahon of the Wallabies talks to team mates James Slipper and Greg Holmes during an Australian Wallabies Captain's Run Credit: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images
    “I said for years I’d probably never get the chance to play at this level in Australia again. The only footy I thought I’d get to play would be back at Sunnybank,” Holmes said.
    “But Tim rang up and asked what I was doing. With the coronavirus we were spinning our wheels a bit at Exeter.
    “Nothing was really happening, my visa was coming to an end, I didn’t know whether I could extend it to finish the season.
    “I’ve got a lot of time for Tim and Van, the timing was perfect and I jumped. It will be interesting to see them as coaches.”
    Holmes’ experience will be crucial to the Force in the new Australian Super Rugby competition and although signing for just for one season is leaving the door to the future open.
    “This was a bit of a surprise but I’ve kept myself in reasonable nick and I’m almost ready to go,” he said.
    “If something comes on the back of it, we’ll see where we go but at the moment it’s just good to be back in Australia.
    “I’m hoping to add my little bit at the Force and to help some of the younger guys.
    “I expect this competition to be quicker than the northern hemisphere game but I’ll adapt.
    “I’m sure there will be some bits and pieces I can help with. I’ve had a chat with Tim about a few ideas from Exeter where they do things a bit differently.
    Holmes admits playing against the Reds for the first time will be a strange experience. And will Force fans get to see another 60-metre breakaway try?
    “It was 100 metres wasn’t it,” he joked.
    “That was a while ago when I was a young fellow. I don’t think I’ll be doing it again in a hurry.”

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Sounds like a great guy.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Saturday, 20 June 2020 11:20AM

And will Force fans get to see another 60-metre breakaway try?
    “It was 100 metres wasn’t it,” he joked.
    “That was a while ago when I was a young fellow. I don’t think I’ll be doing it again in a hurry.”
    Remember the try well, I think he started the run up somewhere near Subi train station...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Remember the try well, I think he started the run up somewhere near Subi train station...
    Beer Goggles will do that.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Beer Goggles will do that.
    Burgs swore he started at the OBH!