Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Returning gun Kyle Godwin sees bright future for Western Force

  1. #1
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    home
    Posts
    1,736
    vCash
    5090000

    Returning gun Kyle Godwin sees bright future for Western Force

    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Thursday, 18 June 2020 4:29PM

    Local product Kyle Godwin, back home at Western Force, says the club has a point to prove in the new Australian Super Rugby competition.
    And as speculation grows about possible Force involvement in future Super Rugby or trans-Tasman competitions the utility back said: If things did align it would be a great move.
    The talk that is going round of shaping and evolving Super Rugby... Im sure the Western Force would be interested in being a part of that moving forward.
    Who knows what the future holds? Maybe we could see the Force back in Super Rugby next year.
    The Force have been bankrolled in World Series Rugby and Global Rapid Rugby by mining magnate Andrew Forrest since being controversially dumped by Rugby Australia three years ago.
    Godwin made 52 appearances for the Force before moving to the Brumbies and then Irish club Connacht and played one Wallaby Test in 2016 before his international career was hit by injury.
    His Connacht contract ended this month and he was looking for a return to Australia. He is signed for the coming season but is then expected to head to the Waratahs.
    My agent was approached by the Western Force. I was dead keen to jump on board and before I knew it I was on a plane to Perth, Godwin said.
    Its great to be back and representing the Force again. Its been a bit of a journey. Im sure the boys will have a point to prove and hopefully we can take a few scalps.
    Godwin was at the Brumbies when RAs axe fell on the Force.
    It was very upsetting. Some of the guys were such close mates and I knew how much the Force meant to WA, he said.
    Since then there have been some great people who have put Global Rapid Rugby together. Its been great to see that they have created a pathway to professional rugby in WA.
    I was given my dream of playing professional rugby by the Force and its awesome that people can still aspire to those dreams.
    His northern hemisphere knowledge of wet weather rugby will be a bonus for the Force.
    Well be playing in the winter months and might get some wet weather, he said.
    Learning how to adapt to the weather was a big thing for me at Connacht and hopefully I can bring some of that experience to the Force.


    https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881582581z

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Legend Contributor Alison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,079
    vCash
    5276000
    TWF Contributor!
    I’m bemused as to why the Force would have approached him just to play a handful of games in a cobbled together comp that has absolutely nothing riding on it and serves only to prop up RA’s precarious financial situation. Why not just go in with our current squad? Something doesn’t add up. Especially if he’s heading to the Tahs anyway. Why would the Force waste the money?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

  3. #3
    Veteran Bakkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,663
    vCash
    5090000
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Im bemused as to why the Force would have approached him just to play a handful of games in a cobbled together comp that has absolutely nothing riding on it and serves only to prop up RAs precarious financial situation. Why not just go in with our current squad? Something doesnt add up. Especially if hes heading to the Tahs anyway. Why would the Force waste the money?
    To be fair players quit more stable contracts to go to the Force when the RA were farking around with approvals.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'


    https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

    Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

    https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

  4. #4
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    826
    vCash
    5366000
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Im bemused as to why the Force would have approached him just to play a handful of games in a cobbled together comp that has absolutely nothing riding on it and serves only to prop up RAs precarious financial situation. Why not just go in with our current squad? Something doesnt add up. Especially if hes heading to the Tahs anyway. Why would the Force waste the money?
    I wonder if Godwin is misquoted or misunderstood in that story.

    The thought crossed my mind today, that the it is shaping to be very likely that the Force will be playing in some kind of Super comp in 2021. I dont believe the Covid19 international travel restrictions will be gone other than Nz/Aus next year. But at the same time, I dont think Twiggy will abandon GRR and I dont want him to. So maybe the Force could grow to a 60+ player squad in 2022 and we could play in both. After all that looks like what the Crusaders were plannning to do. They were going to play Super and also in GRR (as Taiwan).

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Veteran SNOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bella Vista NSW temporary!
    Posts
    3,742
    vCash
    4000
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    I wonder if Godwin is misquoted or misunderstood in that story.

    The thought crossed my mind today, that the it is shaping to be very likely that the Force will be playing in some kind of Super comp in 2021. I dont believe the Covid19 international travel restrictions will be gone other than Nz/Aus next year. But at the same time, I dont think Twiggy will abandon GRR and I dont want him to. So maybe the Force could grow to a 60+ player squad in 2022 and we could play in both. After all that looks like what the Crusaders were plannning to do. They were going to play Super and also in GRR (as Taiwan).
    I must admit that has been my take on this for the last week or so. All these signings, especially exForce favourites, seems to be about more than just a few games.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

  6. #6
    Veteran Bakkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,663
    vCash
    5090000
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    I must admit that has been my take on this for the last week or so. All these signings, especially exForce favourites, seems to be about more than just a few games.
    As long as you dont make the same mistake as the Saffers by having too many contracted players.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'


    https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

    Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

    https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

  7. #7
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    18,755
    vCash
    820480
    The Bronze Star of Faith
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    As long as you dont make the same mistake as the Saffers by having too many contracted players.
    I don't think grr has a squad limit, so you could limit the Sr squad have a grr squad that can't play Sr but use some of the Sr players in grr games, it would be a good avenue for fringe players in the Sr squad to get some rugby, which they really don't in a conventional structure. You wouldn't need 60 players to do that, there are guys that would cross over. I'm not sure whether ra/rupa have a contracted maximum number of games a player can play in a year though

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  8. #8
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    826
    vCash
    5366000
    Well with Twiggy's vision and money, we could turn WA into the heartland of professional rugby in Australia and even the southern hemisphere.
    And then the Emerging Force would be double the size it is now, pumping out more and more quality WA developed players. The standard and numbers of of our amateur clubs, schools and juniors will also be pulled upwards in the slipstream.
    I think it is important that about 60% of the Force players are eventually from WA or regard WA as their new permanent home.
    And us Sea of Blue fan numbers will grow and grow as well.

    I put the word vision first, because Twiggy does think big and outside the box, but also has the money to make things happen. He is a smart business man, so will find sponsors and use of the media to make it all self-funding in the end. He also seems to have the knack of employing the right CEOs to drive and manage his various business interests. Mark Evans the CEO of GRR and the Force has made has made a promising start in the short period he has been onboard

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JSJ; 19-06-20 at 07:14.

  9. #9
    Legend Contributor Alison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,079
    vCash
    5276000
    TWF Contributor!
    Mark Evans is far and away the best rugby administrator we have ever had.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

  10. #10
    Player
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bassendean
    Posts
    415
    vCash
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    I wonder if Godwin is misquoted or misunderstood in that story.

    The thought crossed my mind today, that the it is shaping to be very likely that the Force will be playing in some kind of Super comp in 2021. I dont believe the Covid19 international travel restrictions will be gone other than Nz/Aus next year. But at the same time, I dont think Twiggy will abandon GRR and I dont want him to. So maybe the Force could grow to a 60+ player squad in 2022 and we could play in both. After all that looks like what the Crusaders were plannning to do. They were going to play Super and also in GRR (as Taiwan).
    What I dont get is why Rugby AU and NZ arent looking at GRR and asking why cant they hand the reins over to a professional company to run a comp and make a two tier comp. They can then focus on wallabies/all blacks and community rugby.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Champion andrewg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,316
    vCash
    5346000
    Quote Originally Posted by DazloT View Post
    What I don’t get is why Rugby AU and NZ aren’t looking at GRR and asking why can’t they hand the reins over to a professional company to run a comp and make a two tier comp. They can then focus on wallabies/all blacks and community rugby.
    "Have patience grasshopper"...........

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Kukerin, WA
    Posts
    5
    vCash
    5002000
    Quote Originally Posted by DazloT View Post
    What I dont get is why Rugby AU and NZ arent looking at GRR and asking why cant they hand the reins over to a professional company to run a comp and make a two tier comp. They can then focus on wallabies/all blacks and community rugby.
    I think you will find that most super rugby franshises in NZ are privately owned. Not too sure about the blues though. I would say they are looking seriously at GRR. Given that BOP union are behind the current mainland China team I can see the benefits of backing other Asian teams. Firstly for player development and potentially the development of a new and larger fan base.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    753
    vCash
    5032000
    Did not know where to put this.

    Stadiums will be allowed 50% capacity in stage 4. That's good news if the Eastern state teams can get permission to come play hear without having to isolate for two weeks.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Immortal Contributor shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    13,350
    vCash
    5366000
    The Bronze Star of Faith TWF Contributor!
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    Did not know where to put this.

    Stadiums will be allowed 50% capacity in stage 4. That's good news if the Eastern state teams can get permission to come play hear without having to isolate for two weeks.
    Much as I'd like to get to a game, that would be a very bad idea if the restrictions in Vic don't get things back under control. IMO.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David


  15. #15
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    18,755
    vCash
    820480
    The Bronze Star of Faith
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Much as I'd like to get to a game, that would be a very bad idea if the restrictions in Vic don't get things back under control. IMO.
    I think Uncle Mark will agree with you

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 21-03-18, 22:01
  2. Force Future Bright: Coleman
    By Kalahard in forum Western Force
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 19-09-16, 20:22
  3. Kyle Godwin ruled out for Force
    By blueandblack in forum Western Force
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-05-14, 21:15
  4. Kyle Godwin and the future of the Force
    By GAFFA in forum Kyle Godwin
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14-06-13, 13:34
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-04-13, 23:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •