Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversy Corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper1 View Post
    I know, Manly are last but they are playing the Dragons next week.
    I'm tipping the Dragons to win that.

So load up on Manly.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

NRL reveals bombshell expansion plans, potential conference system

from here

A second Brisbane team is all but locked in but the NRL isn’t going to stop there, identifying another market that will allow it to create conferences.

Jai Bednall

MARCH 24, 20218:09AM

The NRL’s ambitious plans to take over the Australian sporting landscape knows no bounds, with league CEO Andrew Abdo flagging an 18-club competition that could be divided into conferences.

As league officials move quickly toward the introduction of a second Brisbane team in 2023 — an addition the Courier Mail has revealed will be worth $50 million to rugby league — Abdo has indicated it’s just a starting point.

Like the AFL did by quickly following the 2011 debut of its 17th club, the Gold Coast Suns, with the entrance of its 18th franchise the GWS Giants a year later, Abdo is already earmarking a destination to follow Brisbane.

He believes the New Zealand market is ripe for a second NRL club and that quickly returning the number of clubs to an even number will make for a dynamic fixture and the potential introduction of a conference system.

“If we can make the numbers stack up, it (a second Brisbane team) is pretty exciting and then that leads to us having an 18th team in another key market for us over time,” Abdo told the Courier Mail.

“If we were to have an 18th team, we would have to have a good hard look at a second New Zealand team.

“Eighteen teams is a lot more dynamic in terms of how you can configure the draw. It means another rivalry in another key market for us, wherever that might be. It means new fans. It means we could have conferences and pools. These are all good options to explore.”

Abdo and ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys are expected to begin meeting with Brisbane consortia in the coming weeks with the aim of providing clarity on expansion by the middle of the year.

The leading contenders to become the NRL’s 17th team are the Redcliffe Dolphins, who have lodged a Brisbane Dolphins trademark, the Brisbane Jets — a coalition of the Brisbane Bombers and Ipswich Jets — and the Easts Tigers-backed Brisbane Firehawks.

Queensland Origin hero Cameron Munster has already been flagged as a potential signing to be the face of the franchise.

“If another Brisbane team comes in, I won’t say no to going back home,” Munster told News Corp recently.

“I do see myself moving to Queensland after football and if a second Brisbane team comes in, I could go back earlier than expected.

“I wouldn’t say no to that (joining a second Brisbane team) … for sure.”

V’landys said the NRL would not expand to Brisbane if it thought the market would be crowded and existing Queensland teams the Broncos and Gold Coast Titans would be hurt by the move. But the most powerful man in rugby league is confident a new team will only be a positive addition.

“It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023,” ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys told the Sydney Morning Herald last month. “From what I’ve seen and the presentations that have been given to me, they are well advanced.

“The one thing that I am impressed with is how advanced these bids are. They are not mucking around. They are serious. If we came to a decision in June this year, that would give them a year-and-a-half. It’s plenty of time. If it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen mid-this year.

“I’m not going to do it if it’s going to hurt the game. It’s got to benefit the game.”

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    If they go down that path, will be interesting to see whether their fans and stakeholders are more flexible and accepting than Union's. My guess would be yes, in line with a more professional perspective on their code.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    If they go down that path, will be interesting to see whether their fans and stakeholders are more flexible and accepting than Union's. My guess would be yes, in line with a more professional perspective on their code.
    With regards conferences?

Whichever way they go, WA will miss out. V'Landys seems pretty set on a second Brisbane team. With the Bronx looking a shadow of their former selves the timing would seem right. Another team in NZ seems a priority too but I'm not sure there is a great appetite for RL outside of Auckland, though. "Feature" matches sell well when strategically placed but every second week has a lot of question marks IMO.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Good to see the NRL is still as inward looking as ever regarding expansion.

vCash
    I'm actually OK with WA not getting a mention. Hopefully the future Waka Blake's and Ronas who may have been lured to SG Ball might end up in the Future Force. I doubt the WAJRL is ready
    I'm happy with a couple of NRL matches every year.
    Another Kiwi NRL side might even steal a few junior Ab's. Always a silver lining.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    If the 3rd Qld side goes ahead they will be targeting off contract Queenslanders from other states, there is talk of Cameron Munster wanting to return at some time. It would be great to see him and others leave the Storm just to show them what it's like to have your team plundered like they did to our REDS.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    It would be great to see him and others leave the Storm just to show them what it's like to have your team plundered like they did to our REDS.
    ...........and Force #1.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    How good was tonight's game. The evil Mexicans done at the death. Bellamy then has a one man nuclear haulocost and then they are denied again after the siren. How good!

vCash
    Remember back in the day when there would be two NRL games on at the same time on a Saturday and you could press the red button to watch the game you wanted?

They should have this but with the choice to watch Craig Bellamy for 80 minutes.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    And here I was thinking Brisbane's second team was the Storm

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Remember back in the day when there would be two NRL games on at the same time on a Saturday and you could press the red button to watch the game you wanted?

They should have this but with the choice to watch Craig Bellamy for 80 minutes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I'm tipping the Dragons to win that.

So load up on Manly.
    Manly are SHITE

vCash
    Manly are SHITE
    .... and getting Shite-er by the minute. Saints spine finally showing some cohesion.

vCash
    The lofty heights of 5th, what a time to be alive!

Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast