Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Trans-Tasman speculation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Well hopefully when Twiggy/Sampson/Hodgo have built the Force into the strongest rugby club in Australia and even NZ, the WA market will be much bigger. And with the Force playing great winning and attractive rugby, then rugby fans and sponsors right across Australia will demand that CH 9 show the Force games.
    Unless WA suddenly gets an extra 4 million people that is unlikely.

TV market = potential people watching

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Unless WA suddenly gets an extra 4 million people that is unlikely.

TV market = potential people watching
    Population
    London – 9,750,500.
    Birmingham – 2,453,700.
    Manchester – 1,903,100.
    Glasgow – 1,057,600.
    Newcastle – 837,500.
    Sheffield – 818,800.
    Liverpool – 793,100.
    Leeds – 761,500.

Top 10 most popular football clubs in the world based on their social media followers.
    Manchester United – 127.5m.
    Juventus – 83.8m. ...
    Chelsea – 82.2m. ...
    Liverpool – 72.5m. ...
    Bayern Munich – 70.9m. ...
    Arsenal – 70.2 m. ...
    Paris Saint-German – 67.25m. Getty Images. ...
    Manchester City – 63.7m (fans) Getty Images. ...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    GIGS; given that you will surely pay a premium for Stan if you want Rugby, your no brainer might not be so attractive. If you pay that you will get all matches so FTA match allocation is irrelevant. That article says the offer from both operators is "per season/year. I thought the 9 offer is only 1 year. That's a major consideration for RA to walk away from Newscorp.
    Potentially Stan might put their prices up, yes, but I don't think anybody is angling for rugby to be premium content at this moment, so I'd expect 9 will keep Stan's pricing structure fairly constant and see whether Stan sells any more subscriptions as a result of having Rugby (no point pissing off those who are currently putting their hand in the pocket in such a saturated market)

I could be vastly wrong about that, but we'll see.

As for FTA allocation, well it doesn't mean jack at the moment does it? we currently see zero Super Rugby on FTA, so who cares if the game of the week is only the Tahs, except when they play the Force, on which occasion they show the Reds. It makes no difference to my life, so I'm not concerned.

I accept that, if I want to watch Force away games (potentially even Force "home" games) I will be paying some broadcaster through the nose for it (or stealing it somehow)

C'mon the

vCash
    Probably a technical point this old fart is unaware of. But I was thinking of a premium payment like with Foxtel rather than pissing off regular subscriber. Are multiple streams possible?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Are multiple streams possible?
    Bloody Mungo of course they are, haven't you seen Todd Carney in action at the urinal

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Probably a technical point this old fart is unaware of. But I was thinking of a premium payment like with Foxtel rather than pissing off regular subscriber. Are multiple streams possible?
    Good question, they certainly restrict access for budget users (number of screens etc) so they would have the data stored to be able to identify the user.

I could also see how that's a model that they would consider, as it would give them an easy metric to determine whether it was worth the money.

TBH I can't imagine 9 wanting to overprice the content though, I don't think there's enough interest for that, more likely they'll make their money on the purchase and sell it at volume if you charge more that $25 bucks a month for it, they'll fall into the same trap Kayo does, (not many people would stump up that sort of cash for the product) you also need to remember that Kayo has like a billion sports at that price.

If 9 are looking to make it into a spectacular disaster to further erode the price that might work, but I'd suggest a better business model is to buy it rock bottom, sell a bunch of cheap subscriptions and use the power that comes from having a long term contract to build it into a money making machine (Fox have played that game for ages) With a free to air component that becomes a lot easier, because your game of the week coverage can point you to the premium service, something Kayo really can't do.

At the end of the day, we're at the mercy of what Clarke can sell and what a TV executive wants to do with that product. as long as the Force are playing I'll pay about what I'm paying now, if it's less, I'll consider that a win, if it's much more, I'll make do with live home games and he limited FTA coverage

C'mon the

vCash
    Population
    London – 9,750,500.
    Birmingham – 2,453,700.
    Manchester – 1,903,100.
    Glasgow – 1,057,600.
    Newcastle – 837,500.
    Sheffield – 818,800.
    Liverpool – 793,100.
    Leeds – 761,500.

Top 10 most popular football clubs in the world based on their social media followers.
    Manchester United – 127.5m.
    Juventus – 83.8m. ...
    Chelsea – 82.2m. ...
    Liverpool – 72.5m. ...
    Bayern Munich – 70.9m. ...
    Arsenal – 70.2 m. ...
    Paris Saint-German – 67.25m. Getty Images. ...
    Manchester City – 63.7m (fans) Getty Images. ...
    And this proves what in terms of potential Rugby viewers in the Australian market?

Champion
    vCash
    And this proves what in terms of potential Rugby viewers in the Australian market?
    You said "TV market = potential people watching"
    I say it has little to do with the population of Perth or WA, but more to do with how successful the Force become and their style of play.

I bet the Crusaders would pull more viewers across NZ/Aus than the Blues (Auckland) or Tahs (Sydney

vCash
    You said "TV market = potential people watching"
    I say it has little to do with the population of Perth or WA, but more to do with how successful the Force become and their style of play.

I bet the Crusaders would pull more viewers across NZ/Aus than the Blues (Auckland) or Tahs (Sydney
    In a discussion about TV rights?

In a discussion about the rights potentially going to a streaming service that doesn't operate overseas?

Champion
    vCash
    In a discussion about TV rights?

In a discussion about the rights potentially going to a streaming service that doesn't operate overseas?
    I originally said:
    "And with the Force playing great winning and attractive rugby, then rugby fans and sponsors right across Australia will demand that CH 9 show the Force games." No mention of streaming services that dont operate overseas.

vCash
    I originally said:
    "And with the Force playing great winning and attractive rugby, then rugby fans and sponsors right across Australia will demand that CH 9 show the Force games." No mention of streaming services that dont operate overseas.
    You brought up the Crusaders drawing a decent crowd on TV hence the overseas comment.

Channel 9 won't care about the Rugby being played.

Channel 9 will care about eyes watching the telecast to justify their investment hence why NSW and Qld will likely be the favourites to get the majority of the telecast games on FTA.

In fact the exposure for sponsors of teams on FTA will ensure that teams like NSW and Qld get the FTA exposure, unless Comrade Forrest can weave some magic.

Is it a fair situation? Of course not but like Exile said, speak to a Canberra Raiders fan who has seen their team on FTA a handful of times this decade as opposed to the Brisbane Broncos who were an absolute dumpster fire this year who get the lions share of the Friday night prime time slots.

vCash
    I like how the NFL plays most their games at similar times. Then broadcast the relevant game to that area. i.e. WA gets Force games, NSW gets Tahs, ACT get Brums, QLD get Reds and Vic get AFL

vCash
    Easier to do with 32 teams and 5 different timezones (6 if you include Hawaii)

Senior Player
    vCash
    Foxtel's Kayo to make some sports free to watch in strategy backflip

By Zoe Samios and Broede Carmody
    October 22, 2020 — 1.55pm

Foxtel's sports streaming service Kayo will release some games and events from behind the paywall in a major pivot in strategy that could change the way it negotiates broadcast deals.

Kayo launched in late 2018 and has used a hard paywall in its two-year history. But on Thursday, Foxtel's chief executive Patrick Delany confirmed Kayo would now pursue a "freemium" strategy so non-subscribers can gain access to some sports, such as the Supercars. The move will also allow advertisers to reach more viewers.

"That will give rise to much more reach," Mr Delany said. "It means that if you are pausing your subscription... you'll now continue to have action and access to some live sports but also an array of our repeats, scores and stats."

Foxtel's move is a pivot from the original strategy for Kayo, which involved a hard paywall. The decision to change the model could be perceived in two ways – either it is struggling to attract the subscriber numbers it needs with its current model, or it has recognised the desire for mass audiences by some sports codes. Foxtel claims it's the latter. Kayo currently has more than 600,000 paid subscribers.

A hard paywall does not necessarily appeal to smaller sporting codes such as motorsports, surfing or volleyball that are focused on boosting audiences.

Foxtel said start it will start to broadcast some Supercars events for free and has signalled it will branch out into other sports with this approach. Foxtel announced its new Supercars deal in late September.

The other benefit to the hybrid model is that advertisers looking to reach large audiences could achieve this with a pay TV operator, not just with a commercial broadcaster. It allows Foxtel to provide sports codes with a way to reach a broader audience and compete on those grounds against commercial broadcasters.

Industry sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity said Mr Delany discussed this proposal in talks with Rugby Australia about a new broadcast deal. The sports code is in advanced talks with Foxtel and Nine Entertainment Co (owner of this masthead) but is yet to make a final decision.

RA has been vocal about needing a large amount of reach to grow and engage its fanbase. Foxtel submitted a bid several weeks ago, while Nine offered less money but more reach late last week.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...22-p567kr.html

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I've said it before, but I have never understood why Foxtel has never used FTA content as an advertising opportunity. As in show one regular game/match/race/etc, but stuff it full of ads pointing out that all the content is on PTV. Especially when they are trying to establish Kayo and get some credibility/transitioning to streaming.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast