Thread: Sports and events back on the cards for Australians as COVID-19 rules relax

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Sports and events back on the cards for Australians as COVID-19 rules relax

June 12, 2020 10:40AM

Small sports stadiums with capacities 40,000 seats or less will be allowed to reopen to crowds in July.

The venues will be allowed to sell 10,000 ticketed seats per event, with social distancing measures in place around bars and food outlets.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said larger stadiums, including all of the major AFL grounds, were an entirely separate issue.

He said bigger grounds presented unique challenges around access points and public transport crushes, which required much more significant work.

The chief medical officer will consider reopening larger stadiums on a case-by- case basis.

The rule relaxation will also apply to big arts and cultural venues along with ticketed and seated outdoor festivals.

It will not extend to music festivals where people roam from tent to tent.

International students may be able to travel to Australia as early as next month.

The Prime Minister also said authorities were working to allow students to travel to Australia on a pre-approved plan with particular institutions.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the appropriate quarantine entry requirements and biosecurity measures would have to be in place.

“I would hope to be in a position to do pilots next month,” he told reporters on Friday.

The plan is contingent on state borders, with Mr Morrison telling premiers their own borders must be open before international students can arrive.

“If you want to open up borders for international students, then you have to open up borders for Australians,” he said.

Mr Morrison said he’s not concerned that Chinese students will be deterred from coming to Australia, after Beijing warned about racist attacks.

However, he said there is still work to do before any international students can arrive.

“I’m not suggesting this is going to happen soon,” he said.

“We’ve received some very, I think, well thought-through proposals from states as to how this can be done, particularly here in the ACT.”

Australia’s borders have been closed to non-citizens and non-residents since March.

Opening borders for travellers is expected to be one of the final measures taken as coronavirus restrictions are eased.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/politics...ng-b881576015z

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    If a 40,000 stadium can have 10,000 tickets and we have HBF at 20,000 capacity and about 5,000 members at the start of Covid, I guess that would be the easy way to work out who can go to the Force home games should crowds be allowed. It would certainly be a nice reward for those who have put their money where their mouth is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    If a 40,000 stadium can have 10,000 tickets and we have HBF at 20,000 capacity and about 5,000 members at the start of Covid, I guess that would be the easy way to work out who can go to the Force home games should crowds be allowed. It would certainly be a nice reward for those who have put their money where their mouth is.
    I didn't catch all of Scomo's press release, but there appeared to be a couple of messages directed at Labour states (don't open your borders to students from Singapore before opening your borders to Australians)

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    "Small sports stadiums with capacities 40,000 seats or less will be allowed to reopen to crowds in July.

The venues will be allowed to sell 10,000 ticketed seats per event""

I am reading that as HBF stadium would be allowed 10,000

vCash
    25% of capacity will be the new rule(from other articles I have read). HBF holds 21,000, so 5,000 or so would be the 25%

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    "Small sports stadiums with capacities 40,000 seats or less will be allowed to reopen to crowds in July.

The venues will be allowed to sell 10,000 ticketed seats per event""
    There's only about 10 stadia in Australia with capacities >40,000, and I think 2 of them aren't useable at the moment:

MCG - 100,000
    Stadium Australia (Olympic Park) - 83,000 (being rebuilt for 70,000)
    Optus - 60,000
    Docklands/Marvel/Etihad - 56,000
    Adelaide Oval - 53,600
    Suncorp - 52,500
    Queensland SAC - 48,500
    SCG - 48,000
    SFS - 45,000 (being rebuilt)
    Gabba - 42,000

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon