Thread: Rugby Australia announces job cuts amid organisation restructure

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Rugby Australia announces job cuts amid organisation restructure

Yesterday at 5:00 PM
    by Beth Newman

One-third of Rugby Australia's staff will be made redundant in the coming months in the first stage of an organisational restructure announced on Monday.

In a statement on Monday afternoon, Rugby Australia announced that 47 of its 142 full-time staff would be departing over the coming months, with employees informed of their situations on Monday.

With more than three-quarters of the organisation currently stood down on JobKeeper, the redundancies will not come into immediate effect and the full number of employees will depart in the months to comes.

Senior staff who were retained on Monday have also been asked to take a 5 per cent pay cut when the changes come into effect.
    Thirty other contractors and casual staff have also had their contracts terminated with immediate effect.

Currently, 75 per cent of the Rugby Australia staff have been stood down since April 1, while the remainder have had their salaries or hours cut during that period.

Rugby AU's executive team have had their salaries cut by 30 per cent during that time but have been working full-time.

Those cuts are along with Australia's professional players taking an average 60 per cent salary cut until the end of September.

Monday's announcement will cut the organisation's wage bill by $5.5 million, an amount that will help the organisation stay afloat as it works to get rugby games back on.

Rugby AU interim CEO Rob Clarke said in a statement the changes would ensure the survival of the organisation amid the coronavirus pandemic.

"Today was an incredibly difficult day for the organisation with many people affected by changes that are necessary to ensure the viability and sustainability of the organisation as a result of the devastating impacts of the pandemic," he said.

“We have delivered the news to staff this morning and told them that Rugby Australia values the contribution of each and every one of them, some of whom have given significant service to Rugby Australia and to the game over many years.

“This is a difficult time for a lot of very passionate, hard-working rugby people and we are committed to helping those people find their next opportunity, whether it be within the game or elsewhere.”

The second phase of the rugby restructure will involve the state and territory unions in a bid to cut further costs across all levels of the sport.

"Today we have announced phase one of the restructure of the rugby landscape, and the next phase will focus on the role of Rugby Australia and the member unions to find further opportunities for savings and efficiencies in the way we deliver our rugby programs and administrative operations across each of our businesses,” Clarke said.

“This second phase involves a significant piece of work that will be managed carefully over the coming months working closely with the leaders of each of the organisations looking at both the delivery of the professional game, and the community game across each state and territory."

Rugby Australia also announced on Monday that the Sunwolves' hopes of being part of the Super Rugby AU competition had been dashed, confirming a five-team only competition that is slated for a July 3 kick-off.

Finalising a broadcast deal for that competition is the next stage in getting a green light.

Once that is negotiated, Clarke will turn his attention to a deal for 2021 and beyond, an agreement that will be vital for the organisation's long-term survival.

Rugby Australia will release its annual report later this week after submitting audited financial records on Sunday.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/0...ia-restructure

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Typical of them to get a worker who has just lost her job to write that.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    I can't stop chuckling at the idea of them working with member unions to cut costs.

I know damn well that means rugby WA will be getting zero next year, but cutting that out wouldn't pay the coffee bill for board meetings, so the other states are finally going to actually feel some of the pain.

Hehehehehehehehe

C'mon the

vCash
    Did I miss something? Did the CEO offer somewhere to take a pay cut?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I can't stop chuckling at the idea of them working with member unions to cut costs.

I know damn well that means rugby WA will be getting zero next year, but cutting that out wouldn't pay the coffee bill for board meetings, so the other states are finally going to actually feel some of the pain.

Hehehehehehehehe
    They are talking about less community Rugby funding. WA is only getting 220k.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    They are talking about less community Rugby funding. WA is only getting 220k.
    Im not surprised that all the talk about grass roots evaporates as soon as there's any challenges to the quantity or quality of the canapes and champagne in the board room. Tbh, looking at the community rugby funding reported in the few figures I've seen, reducing that to zero across the board isn't going to patch a very big hole, iirc its less than 9 million throughout the country. Force also apparently got a couple of hundred k (can't for the life of me figure out how) but again, it's not going to fill much of a gap. In any case, I've heard that nswru funnels most of the community rugby money to the tahs, I assume qld matches that strategy

C'mon the

vCash
    Im not surprised that all the talk about grass roots evaporates as soon as there's any challenges to the quantity or quality of the canapes and champagne in the board room. Tbh, looking at the community rugby funding reported in the few figures I've seen, reducing that to zero across the board isn't going to patch a very big hole, iirc its less than 9 million throughout the country. Force also apparently got a couple of hundred k (can't for the life of me figure out how) but again, it's not going to fill much of a gap. In any case, I've heard that nswru funnels most of the community rugby money to the tahs, I assume qld matches that strategy
    It is an even worse look when you are spending $21 million on salaries and at least $10 million on corporate.

Only Raelene had the guts to resign.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    It is an even worse look when you are spending $21 million on salaries and at least $10 million on corporate.

Only Raelene had the guts to resign.
    But she didn’t knock back her bonus payment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    But she didn’t knock back her bonus payment.
    Bit hard to when farkwit had signed off on it.

vCash
    I think the $231K is for the high performance services of Steve Anderson and others who work with the Future Force academy. Can’t be for anything else. Bugs the hell out of me that it is shown under the Super Rugby heading.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    $1million for Rennie PLUS another $700K for Johnson is obscene.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    $1million for Rennie PLUS another $700K for Johnson is obscene.
    But if they can lift Australia from 7th in the world rankings to 2nd or 3rd and bring crowd sizes back to previous levels they'd have earned their money, so I can see the thinking behind it. I'm just not sure they can raise the Wallabies up to that sort of level

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    But if they can lift Australia from 7th in the world rankings to 2nd or 3rd and bring crowd sizes back to previous levels they'd have earned their money, so I can see the thinking behind it. I'm just not sure they can raise the Wallabies up to that sort of level
    Surely some form of cost - benefit analysis on the policy of throwing every cent the organisation makes at the Wallabies would help to determine the wisdom of the strategy.

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I think the $231K is for the high performance services of Steve Anderson and others who work with the Future Force academy. Can’t be for anything else. Bugs the hell out of me that it is shown under the Super Rugby heading.
    I imagine the got a small handout for their participation in the NRC. Or is there a separate NRC column?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    I imagine the got a small handout for their participation in the NRC. Or is there a separate NRC column?
    No separate column for NRC as far as I can tell. I think RA only funded away costs of teams in the NRC. The local unions funded the home costs.