Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: RA to launch interim comp, Western Force to be included

vCash
    Rugby World Cup 2027 the focus for new RA chairman Hamish McLennan
    The Springboks celebrate after winning the 2019 World Cup. New Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan is not holding back on efforts to win the bid to host the 2027 tournament. Picture: AP
    The Springboks celebrate after winning the 2019 World Cup. New Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan is not holding back on efforts to win the bid to host the 2027 tournament. Picture: AP
    EXCLUSIVE
    WAYNE SMITH
    SENIOR SPORT WRITER

2 HOURS AGO JUNE 15, 20204 COMMENTS
    Hamish McLennan has marked his first day as Rugby Australia chairman by announcing a high-powered advisory board headed by News Corp director Rod Eddington to oversee Australia’s bid to host the 2027 Rugby World Cup.

Rugby union has been in the wars in recent years, but McLennan wasted little time in demonstrating its ability to tap into the top end of town by assembling a seven-person advisory board that includes a former prime minister, John Howard; a former governor-general, Peter Cosgrove; and the most successful Wallabies captain of all time, John Eales.

Intriguingly, the committee also includes the CEO of the Fortescue Metals Group, Elizabeth Gaines. Her presence is further evidence of the growing thaw in the relationship between Fortescue non-executive chairman Andrew Forrest, the Western Force owner, and Rugby Australia.

READ NEXT

JOHN LETHLEAN
    Let the choux revival begin. Again
    JOHN LETHLEAN
    Super Rugby returns! Watch every game of Super Rugby Aotearoa and Super Rugby AU Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly

That was not, however, the reason Eddington wanted her on the board. “I’ll tell you why I want her … she is a very successful chief executive of one of Australia’s leading companies, Fortescue,” Eddington said. “She is west coast-based so I wanted a bit of geographic diversity and she brings that to the table as well.”

Gaines insisted she was delighted to have been asked.

READ MORE:Rugby again seeking the least-worst option|Merger a reality for new rugby era|Forget doom and gloom, Thorn sees bright future|Speight to join French club Biarritz|Why Australia needs New Zealand rugby way more than the Kiwis need us
    “Hosting the Rugby World Cup in 2027 will further bolster Australia’s strong position on the world sporting stage, bringing considerable benefits across the entire economy and I’m honoured to be invited to join the advisory board charged with leading our bid to secure this outstanding opportunity,” she said.

McLennan said last month after being confirmed as RA’s next chairman that he intended making the 2027 World Cup bid one of his key priorities, and he proved that by turning to his friend of the past 25 years to head up the campaign. Eddington, a West Australian by birth, a Victorian by adoption and a rugby fan from his days as a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford, believes the 2027 World Cup can serve as “a light on the hill” for the game in these troubled times.

“I see that as a challenge because the worst thing we could do is to take it for granted that we are going to get it,” Eddington said.

Rugbys on its knees in Australia, they’ve got no money, players wanting to bail, no broadcast deal, massive debts, complete inability to manage their accounts......and all they’re worried about is hosting a World Cup? And trying to smooch up to Twiggy in hopes of a handout? I guess its more about distraction from those pesky report figures that they still haven’t released. RA - the gift that just keeps giving.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Let's be clear, a rugby world cup bid is not a cheap exercise and they've just pulled together a massively high powered board of luminaries to prepare it. I think they're spending money they don't have to place a bet at long odds.

Note the desperation to mention any tenuous link to WA, I'd suggest the uninformed masses who are paying for news in Sydney are firmly of the opinion that wiggy will reach in his pocket as a result of some tokenistic appointments.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Let's be clear, a rugby world cup bid is not a cheap exercise and they've just pulled together a massively high powered board of luminaries to prepare it. I think they're spending money they don't have to place a bet at long odds.

Note the desperation to mention any tenuous link to WA, I'd suggest the uninformed masses who are paying for news in Sydney are firmly of the opinion that wiggy will reach in his pocket as a result of some tokenistic appointments.
    I assume not (Pete) Wiggy, but (Andrew) Twiggy ... but still - neither would be funding a RWC bid.

That's where the begging bowl gets pulled out for Guv'mint Money.

This has always been the way. Always will be for those scale of events. States have depreciating concrete edifices and want to hire them out. Weddings, parties, ... anything ...

Expect to see the FIFA women's world cup announcement in coming weeks.

Similarly, RA are aiming for a RWC as their government-backed bailout.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Honestly can't see how they are any realistic chance when they (JO'N) were very clear about why it simply wasn't feasible for Australia to bid for either 2015/19. None of those reasons have meaningfully changed, but the price has escalated significantly and rugby had only gone backwards in Australia since. I think they are delusional.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Honestly can't see how they are any realistic chance when they (JO'N) were very clear about why it simply wasn't feasible for Australia to bid for either 2015/19. None of those reasons have meaningfully changed,
    JON was complaining about the IRB (as it then was) moving in to scoop up the lion's share of all proceeds. The host had to guarantee a certain return from the proceeds to the world body - in other words take all the risk - before even looking at turning a profit.

This meant that the $35-40m in chips that the ARU took to the cashier in 2003 would've become a smaller cut (possibly even a loss) in 2015/19.

And, you're right, the WR "cash out" methodology hasn't changed.

Probably the most relevant cycle to look at here would be 2011, being hosted in our timezone and backed by a smaller economy than Oz - i.e. the NZ govt. IIRC, that RWC generated around $10m for NZR + and a much bigger share for WR, but lower in total than subsequent years.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    but the price has escalated significantly and rugby had only gone backwards in Australia since. I think they are delusional.
    Two things here: (a) I think the price has now likely gone down; and (b) it has to be stumped up (as always) by government - without which RA doesn't get to the start line.

That start line, unless I'm mistaken, is only 10 months away when WR decide it next year.

So, are they are delusional? That answer really turns on one thing ... and that is IMO whether they secure federal Liberal Party backing from Canberra.

If they do, then there are only two horses in the race, Яussia and Oz.

Winning then comes down to WR ... also how much the Russkies cbf'd, but mainly just the WR members.

Last edited by Kiap; 16-06-20 at 02:03.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Rugby AU has created an advisory committee to oversee 2027 World Cup bid.
    Read into it what you will....

Chair is Sir Rod Eddington. Also includes Hamish McLennan, John Howard, General Sir Peter Cosgrove, John Eales, Fortescue Metals Group Chief Executive Elizabeth Gaines & Qantas Loyalty CEO Olivia Wirth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post

Chair is Sir Rod Eddington. Also includes Hamish McLennan, John Howard, General Sir Peter Cosgrove, John Eales, Fortescue Metals Group Chief Executive Elizabeth Gaines & Qantas Loyalty CEO Olivia Wirth.
    That’s a lot of overseers.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post

Key government connections in that group obviously. Should help with the points made in the previous post by Kiap

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    Anyone else seen the promo for the re-start? Its actually pretty darned good - for a change.

https://www.theroar.com.au/rugby-uni...uperb-1078397/

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Anyone else seen the promo for the re-start? Its actually pretty darned good - for a change.

https://www.theroar.com.au/rugby-uni...uperb-1078397/
    Kind of meh

vCash
    They were really struggling to find inspirational footage, Stirling Mortlock?

C'mon the

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    I think it was good.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    France paid £220 million at least for their bid fee which was above Ireland and South Africa.

NZ made little due to only have one real stadium.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    BREAKING

The State Government has put its hand up to host the 2027 Rugby World Cup final.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast