Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: RA to launch interim comp, Western Force to be included

vCash
    How easily we can forget. Dave Weasels gave us a fantastic ride while he was here. He stayed the course until his hand was forced by the RA/VRU treachery. Then he went to Melbourne to continue with most of his squad. He's had far from a good run with the Rabble but I suspect that is a fish rotting from the head more than anything "Blood" has done. Just as happy with our current coach too.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    How easily we can forget. Dave Weasels gave us a fantastic ride while he was here. He stayed the course until his hand was forced by the RA/VRU treachery. Then he went to Melbourne to continue with most of his squad. He's had far from a good run with the Rabble but I suspect that is a fish rotting from the head more than anything "Blood" has done. Just as happy with our current coach too.
    Yeah, it seems odd. In 2017 we seemed to build up a really good team spirit. Then when Wessels took half the squad with him to Melbourne, you'd have expected the team spirit to have built upon what they had with us. The Rebels even lead the table for a month or so in 2018, but in the 2nd half of the season they fell apart and started turning on each other on the field and the lack of team spirit was apparent.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Wessels team hammered NSW in his last game. Lets see what Samson can do.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Wessels team hammered NSW in his last game. Lets see what Samson can do.
    different side

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wallabydarnd View Post
    May I sincerely apologise for my inadvertent typo above which Gave our ex coach Such a nasty new surname
    Totally unintended
    Felt v sorry for him throughout this ordeal and wish him all the best
    Just realised I made the same typo. So ditto.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Sunwolves won't compete in Super Rugby AU
    Yesterday at 12:25 PM Super Rugby
    by Beth Newman

The Sunwolves will not be a part of the upcoming Super Rugby AU competition, effectively ending their time as a professional rugby side.

The news brings to an end the Sunwolves' time in professional rugby after the Japanese franchise was already axed from Super Rugby from 2021 and beyond.

Their final season of Super Rugby was shut down in March, with New Zealand and Australia having to turn to domestic options to try and keep their seasons alive.

Rugby Australia had held out hope that they could have the Sunwolves in a six-team competition but with players needing to arrive from a number of different countries to be involved, the government opted against approving their involvement.

Under current laws, the Sunwolves would have to quarantine for two weeks upon arriving in Australia and then be based in a quarantine hub during the 12-week competition.

"There are significant challenges facing the Sunwolves’ participation in this modified competition model which Rugby Australia, SANZAAR and the Sunwolves have been attempting to work through. However, the reality is, given the timeframe available the team’s preparation for the competition would be severely compromised," he said.

“All parties agree that despite our collective efforts and desire to see the Sunwolves take part in the competition, under the current circumstances their participation will not be feasible. While unfortunate, this decision delivers the certainty that all stakeholders require at this point in time.

“We all agree that this is not the way we wanted or believed that the 2020 Super Rugby season would play out when it kicked off back in late January, the impact of COVID-19 has been unprecedented and unforeseen.

“On behalf of Rugby Australia, our SANZAAR partners and the Rugby community I pass on our thanks to the Sunwolves and we look forward to continuing to build on the links between Australia and Japan on and off the Rugby field.”

Super Rugby AU will involve the five professional Australian teams and it is aiming to kick off on July 3.

Broadcaster discussions are the final piece of the puzzle in the bid to start the competition and more details, including a draw, are expected to be revealed later this week.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/0...y-au-sunwolves

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Player
    vCash
    Thinking about a possible team for the first game (which I understand will be in the second round), and came up with the following (not sure if everyone is in country and fit):

Western Force:
    1. Wagner
    2. Tessman
    3. Longbottom
    4. Bardoul
    5. Lee-Warner
    6. Stowers
    7. Alcock
    8. Stander
    9. Prior
    10. Alatimu
    11. Placid
    12. Taefu
    13. Brache
    14. Lacey
    15. McGregor
    16. Ready
    17. Heiberg
    18. Sheminant
    19. Thrush
    20. Ferris
    21. Abel
    22. Jooste
    23. Strachan

vCash
    some interesting selection headaches there Transiting.

Whether to start Thrush of have him destroy from the bench. IMHO, I'd start him and bring Fergus on at about 45, but there's lots to be said about either option.

Whether Jooste or Taefu is the better option at 12? I was really liking what I saw out of the Jooste/Brache combination with a massive unit like Jooste at 12 it gives a whole bunch of options on the outside, it also creates another question, whether to start Taefu or Brache, Me, I'd start with Jooste and Brache, leaving Taefu as the Mr Fix-it on the bench, this will also provide the option for Brache to slide out to the wing if injury cover is required

even more important is the number of quality names who don't even make, what is a pretty obvious run on side, check the list of splintered asses
    Pama Fou
    Ben Grant
    Dom Hardman
    Feleti Kaitu'u
    Rory O'Sullivan
    Byron Ralston

and the list of guys who tore it up in NRC but have been replaced by players who weren't able to play
    Tom Sheminant
    Tevin Ferris

I think we have a pretty hot team, I wonder how much better the Super Rugby teams will be with their Wallabies available? Obviously, if it was the same as NRC we'd smash them, but will the inclusion of 8 or so players for each team tip the balance?

(some would say the 8 or so players weren't the best players in their position, so nothing much would change, but that would surely only extend to the Waratahs)
    (some would also say the Rebels didn't have anybody of note excluded because of the Wallabies program, but that would be unfair on DHP)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Yes some difficult calls, really a conversation starter. I still believe the team needs another 2-3 experienced players for injury cover and help guide the younger players, and at worst be on the bench. Godwin and Pocock in the squad would be nice.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    The last game I saw Jooste at 12 he played very well. Definitely could run on. Does he have much experience at 15?

vCash
    What a refreshing change, talking selections. Whether Thrush starts will depend on the strength of oppo line out. There will be more than the boys are used to. Haven't watched enough SR to comment anyhoo. I'd be starting Joost.

Now all we need is a broadcaster.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Transiting View Post
    The last game I saw Jooste at 12 he played very well. Definitely could run on. Does he have much experience at 15?
    I think he may have played some 15 when younger, what're you thinking McGregor to 10?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Now all we need is a broadcaster.
    Who are you kidding, it'll be Fox the only question is what will they pay?

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I think he may have played some 15 when younger, what're you thinking McGregor to 10?
    Not necessarily, but possibly. Mainly thinking about bench players. If Jooste is on the bench he could cover 12 and 15, and 10 at a pinch. McGregor is a good running attacking 15, but sometimes I worry about his decision-making. I don't think he's had much time at 10 at the Force, because of Deegan and Iona.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Transiting View Post
    Not necessarily, but possibly. Mainly thinking about bench players. If Jooste is on the bench he could cover 12 and 15, and 10 at a pinch. McGregor is a good running attacking 15, but sometimes I worry about his decision-making. I don't think he's had much time at 10 at the Force, because of Deegan and Iona.
    From what I saw of Jooste at 12 in the NRC and the one game of GRR, it would be a travesty to leave him on the bench, that being said, Taefu is also a really good option, and Brache certainly deserves the spot as well. I'd say the midfield is our biggest selection headache, with multiple good players missing out on even a bench.

For me, 10 is the area where we're short of depth. Not only was Deegan pretty bloody good last year, but we didn't really do a helluva lot to plan succession, so we've got very limited options there.

Jooste is listed as a flyhalf, but I don't remember seeing much of him there, after that you've got McGregor and Prior listed. Then crickets!

Personally, I'd name a scrumhalf and a utility back on the bench, load the forwards and figure it out if they need to. Alatimu needs time to grow into the role, He's looked shaky to me. That might be a comparison to Deegan, or it might be the limited time he's played there, but if he is injured or doesn't make the grade, the only other options will already be on the field. I've seen Prior play some flyhalf, but not a lot. Despite that, I'd think him slotting in to 10 in an emergency would be my call. Jooste or McGregor would likely be the planned changes to 10 and that would rely on Prior being on the field and really fresh to provide leadership during the transition.

Whatever happens, we need to look after our 10s and that means the pack needs to brutalise all comers and make sure nobody can run the 10-12 channel all night!

C'mon the

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast