Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    X,just treat them as tax cheats,you know what to do,LOL

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Stop picking on X.

vCash
    Things are getting too serious around here. I think I'll have a beer.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I'm having Dark and Stormies, so nothing's going to be serious to me

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Wayne has put out an article stating that Twiggy is going to fund the Force in this ‘comp.’

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Wayne has put out an article stating that Twiggy is going to fund the Force in this ‘comp.’
    The headline I have says he is picking up 'part of the bill'. I can't see the story because its behind the paywall. Have you got it. Nick Taylor alludes to the same thing in his story saying Twiggy is bankrolling it.
    I love the shafting of RA in the first line of the story.

Western Force reunite with Super Rugby rivals for one-off tournament starting in July
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Tuesday, 26 May 2020 8:00PM

Three years after being thrown on the scrapheap by Rugby Australia, Western Force will again face Super Rugby rivals in a new competition.
    They have agreed to join the Brumbies, Reds, Waratahs and Rebels in the one-off tournament that will start in early July.
    The Force will begin their campaign in an Eastern States hub, but if border restrictions are relaxed, games could be brought to Perth. The plan was first revealed by The West Australian in March when Global Rapid Rugby was halted after just one round amid the coronavirus crisis.
    The tournament will be a real test of strength for the Force who have been rebuilding in GRR under coach Tim Sampson since they were axed from Super Rugby.
    They won last season’s National Rugby Championship against Super Rugby-stacked sides and were unbeaten in last year’s GRR showcase series.
    But the new challenge will be a big step-up for a number of inexperienced players who have played only in RugbyWA’s club competition.
    Billionaire Andrew Forrest has bankrolled the Force and GRR since RA refused his $70 million offer to keep the club afloat. Instead, RA saved the Melbourne Rebels.
    RA needs the Force to bolster national interest in the competition as it seeks to secure a vital broadcast agreement.
    Interim RA chief executive Rob Clarke, pictured, is desperate to reignite the partnership with Fox Sports.
    The original five-nation Super Rugby competition was suspended in mid-March because of the coronavirus pandemic.
    Initial plans for the new tournament included Japan’s Sunwolves but hopes have faded because of international border restrictions.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881559141z

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Twiggy picks up part of bill for Force return

Western Force players celebrate a try during last year’s Global Rapid Rugby series
    Wayne Smith
    Senior Sport Writer

Rugby Australia will announce on Wednesday that the Western Force will take part in the domestic Super Rugby competition, conditional, of course, on a satisfactory deal being done with their broadcaster, Fox Sports.

It is understood the Force — which effectively means billionaire owner Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest — will meet some of their costs of competing with the four Australian Super Rugby sides, Brumbies, Melbourne Rebels, NSW Waratahs and Queensland Reds.

Given that the competition will take place on the east coast, the Perth-based Force will need to relocate, probably to Sydney, for at least the preliminary stages of the domestic series. When press*ed for a decision on his borders this week, WA Premier Mark McGowan indicated they would remain closed “for months”, but if there has been one constant throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, it has been that nothing stays constant for long.

It is becoming increasingly unlikely that Japan’s Sunwolves will be allowed to participate, with no one seemingly in a position to make a definitive call to rule them out. But unless the green light is given by the end of the week, a decision effectively will be made by not making a decision.

The Sunwolves players, except for those already based in Australia, would need to undergo 14 days in isolation on their arrival, which would allow them only two weeks of training together for the anticipated competition start date of July 3 — not nearly enough time given that the Australian teams would by that stage have had close to two months to prepare.

Even if Rugby Australia organisers were able to be creative with the early rounds of the competition and play two matches, not three, in the opening rounds to give the Sunwolves consecutive byes, the widespread feeling is that the moment sadly has passed for the Japanese team.

That would mean RA would take a five-team competition to Fox, which along with four Bledisloe Cup Tests and, most likely, a club component to take the place of the valuable if unpopular National Rugby Championship, would seem to be a weighty enough package to see out the remaining seven months of the broadcast deal. Whether there will be a broadcast deal next year remains obscured, although the financial positions of RA and Fox
    Sports could perhaps see them come to an agreement where they each prop up the other.

Meanwhile, it is not just the Sunwolves looking down the barrel of an extended period in isolation. Incoming Wallabies coach Dave Rennie may face an entire month in “solitary”, two weeks on either side of the Tasman. Rennie is due to leave Scotland, where he was coaching the Glasgow Warriors until the Pro14 competition was suspended, in early June but will travel to Australia via his family home in New Zealand.

“He will do his quarantine in New Zealand, then come across,” Wallabies team manager Chris Webb told The Australian.

“What we are trying to avoid is two lots of 14 days and the advice we are getting out of both the (NZ and Australian) governments is that it should be
    right, but not yet. He needs to get home first.”

Peter V’landys, the chairman of the ARL Commission, is making all the running on lobbying for socially distant crowds to be permitted into NRL matches from the start of July, which neatly ties into the Super Rugby start date.

The Australian Medical Association has called V’landys’ plan for the NRL “dangerous” and “absurd”, but even though RA intends starting its Super Rugby competition in empty stadiums, it will be keeping a close eye on what progress V’landys makes.

Waratahs and Wallabies centre Karmichael Hunt admitted he was so desperate to resume playing that it wouldn’t matter to him if there was no one watching.

“I’m not going to speak for everyone but for myself I would not be bothered if no one’s in the stands,” Hunt said. “As long as there is an opposition with a different coloured jersey on that I can play against, I’ll be happy.”

For the same reason he was even prepared to tolerate substantial rule changes recommended by World Rugby’s medical commission to make possible a resumption. All Blacks halfback Brad Weber was scathing of the recommendations, labelling them as “ridiculous”, but Hunt was more willing to accept them.

“You can’t eliminate every factor when it comes to the issues that they’re trying to minimise, but if we can get it as best as possible while we’re maintaining the fabric of the game, then let’s go ahead,” he said.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...960cae3936243c

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    If Foxsports cannot find enough money to pay for these games and the TV production, then Twiggy could end up funding the whole lot, to make it happen. Let Mark Evans run it and put independent TV crews in as do GRR and sell the games to the Fox, Ten and all Streaming services etc

vCash
    You know me, I have a couple of edits for these two
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Billionaire Andrew Forrest has bankrolled the Force and GRR since RA refused his $70 million offer to keep the club afloat. Instead, RA saved the Melbourne Rebels, at massive cost to themselves
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith "Senior Sports Writer" View Post
    to take the place of the valuable if unpopular only in Sydney where apparently all televised rugby is watched National Rugby Championship, would seem to be a weighty enough package to see out the remaining seven months of the broadcast deal.

C'mon the

vCash
    Force accepts Rugby Australia invite for 2020 competition
    Western Force owner Andrew Forrest has today accepted a Rugby Australia offer for the Force to join a proposed one-off, domestic-based competition this year.
    Dr Forrest made the decision in line with his desire to see rugby return to a position of sporting prominence across the country, but has stressed the arrangement is for 2020 only.
    “I want what is best for rugby in Perth and in Australia and to ensure the game flourishes," he said.
    “My views on the mismanagement of the game under the previous Rugby Australia administration are well known and remain steadfast. Change is imperative at the top for rugby to thrive long term."
    Dr Forrest had a long and constructive conversation with incoming RA Chairman Hamish McLennan, who acknowledged the anguish felt by Force fans and players in recent years.
    “I am prepared to help out RA and new Chair Hamish McLennan in a time of crisis, for the good of the sport.
    “Rugby Australia cannot afford to miss this opportunity to restructure and reinvent every aspect of the game – its governance, cost structure, rules, competition construct, partnerships with broadcasters, commitment to grass roots and, most importantly, engagement with the fans.
    “I developed and launched Global Rapid Rugby across the Asia Pacific region to prove how rugby can be played – fun for the players, fast moving, high scoring and always entertaining.
    “The Australian sporting public deserves to see more of that style of rugby. A game which keeps up with the times and is not mired in a myriad of laws. A game which returns rugby to its former national prominence and international appeal. A game that will be embraced by the Asia Pacific region as relevant, culture strengthening and entertaining.
    “Until I see evidence that reinvention is at the core of any strategic plan RA comes up with, it will be difficult to commit to a long-term investment."
    Dr Forrest also acknowledged a group of ex-Wallabies captains lead by Simon Poidevin and Nick Farr-Jones.
    "I am grateful for their guidance and determination to return rugby to its former glory," Dr Forrest said.
    Rugby Australia hopes to confirm the 2020 competition and announce full details shortly, with kick-off expected in early July.
    If the proposed one-off season gets the green light, the Force may have to relocate to the eastern seaboard in line with Western Australia’s strict border closure. Discussions with the WA Government would then continue around possible home games in Perth later in the year.
    Force members and fans will be provided with fixture and broadcast information immediately it becomes available.
    As always, please keep up to date with the latest team and player news via westernforce.com.au and @WesternForce on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

Just landed in my inbox

Onya Twiggy, a well aimed jibe with a commitment to further rugby in the region

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Excellent words from Andrew!! Exactly the right tone. WA wears the trousers now!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Excellent words from Andrew!! Exactly the right tone. WA wears the trousers now!
    Call this 2020 competition GRR Showcase Series II and play it under Rapid Rugby Rules
    Expand GRR to 10 teams in 2021, with the 4 extra teams from Australia.
    As 70% of RA staff are stood down, let GRR staff run the 2020 comp and in future .
    Move the 30% RA staff left and the HQ to Perth.
    Lease out or sell the MOORE Park building to help pay off debt.
    Re-Brand RA as The All Australia Rugby (TAAR), with board meetings in Perth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Yep. That's the first time I've seen the Dr Forrest reference in print, even though he finished his PhD last year. Anyhoo, now let's hope they manage to navigate easing of border restrictions and V'Landys scores another homer - rewarding paid-up members and sponsors with entry into stadiums under the 4 sqm social distancing protocols.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Stop picking on X.
    Ignore 'em X.
    Perhaps we could get a few of the bigger PI lads from Blacktown to join this list?

BTW X, what's the goss on your side of town about West Harbour?

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast