Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: RA to launch interim comp, Western Force to be included

vCash
    TBH I don't even care if the borders remain closed, I don't care if they play in the Eastern States, my primary concern is whether I can see the games, so a broadcast deal is critical at this point.

If things go the way I expect they will, it'll be played in empty stadiums anyway, so whether they play in Sydney or Perth won't make a difference. Personally, I think they should find the place with the best weather fro a good game of rugby in the stadium that has sufficient facilities available at the lowest price. that might mean a country stadium in Queensland like Townsville, the whole competition could be hosted there, with teams isolating in various hotels and training in various club facilities nearby.

It wouldn't affect the viewer (apart from perhaps a couple of hours time difference for us Westerners) would save some money and would ensure that the competition isn't affected by border closures.

Seems to me that it makes far too much sense for Rugby Australia to implement

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Stop picking on X.
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    Ignore 'em X.
    Perhaps we could get a few of the bigger PI lads from Blacktown to join this list?
    Lighten up everyone. When did TWF become a banter free zone? Never been like that before. There's precious little Rugby to talk about now - just Rugby politics, really.

Just for the record, I thought the use of emoticons were good enough to indicate the posts were in jest. For clarification I know X personally in the real world and he's a friend. Least I hope he still is Having said that I have once or twice taken things said in jest the wrong way and contacted the poster by PM to get clarification. No offense was intended.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I don't see any commitment to pick up even part of the bill in either Nick Taylor's article or the RugbyWA message. Wayne Smith's article says:
    It is understood the Force ... will meet some of their costs of competing
    So no confirmation there, no quote from anyone; 'Understood' in newspaper speak means either 'anonymous source' or 'complete rubbish I made up'. Forrest could be merely paying the boys' breakfast bill, and he would be meeting that commitment.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    I would expect Forrest to pick up some of the costs of the Force Competing, just as I would expect every other team to pick up some of the costs of them competing.

I would similarly expect Forrest to receive an appropriate share of any profits gained by participating in this venture, especially so since the other 4 teams will benefit from any money RA keeps to itself whereas the Force won't.

TBH, with the cesspit that is Rugby Australia, I would be happy for RA to keep every cent of the money and use it to prop up their house of cards for another 15 minutes. That would be somewhat fair and expected, but the instant they give a cent to the other teams, they should be matching that amount to the Force

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Lighten up everyone. When did TWF become a banter free zone? Never been like that before. There's precious little Rugby to talk about now - just Rugby politics, really.

Just for the record, I thought the use of emoticons were good enough to indicate the posts were in jest. For clarification I know X personally in the real world and he's a friend. Least I hope he still is Having said that I have once or twice taken things said in jest the wrong way and contacted the poster by PM to get clarification. No offense was intended.
    Fucking pussys. Man up for christ sake.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Fucking pussys. Man up for christ sake.
    you don't know a pussy if you can't spell the plural!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

vCash
    Rugby union: Up to 16 Rebels poised to quit

JESSICA HALLORAN

AN HOUR AGO MAY 27, 2020

The future of the Melbourne Rebels franchise is under a cloud with 16 players either set to take up huge foreign contracts or considering their options beyond this season.

Rugby Australia has frozen all contract negotiations for next year with its major revenue stream, a $57 million a year broadcast deal, ending this season.

The potential exodus confirms players contracted to the Super Rugby clubs are worried about the future of the game in Australia.

The Japanese competition is considered the most lucrative and stable in the COVID-19 environment, with top players earning more than $1m a season and middle tier players around $300,000 to $600,000.

The Australian can reveal eight Rebels have either signed or have been linked to clubs in the Japan Rugby Top League.

Melbourne Rebels chief executive Baden Stephenson said he hoped players would not break their contracts and that the financial future of the club was secure.

“The vast majority of our players are being patient and happy to stay in our environment,” Stephenson said. “I know the four CEOs have all got similar situations, we are working through it. We obviously have a number of quality of players contracted for next year and we are hopeful those guys certainly stay and continue to buy into the club.”

There are fears in the rugby community that the Rebels are in financial strife and facing extinction. Stephenson rubbished the suggestion and said the future for the Rebels was bright.

“I am really positive and excited about the future,” Stephenson said. “We have a participation agreement into whatever the Super Rugby competition looks like next year. There’s been no communication otherwise from Rugby Australia to say that we are under any threat. My gut feel is that New Zealand are making some noises about ‘maybe Australia can have less teams’.

“Australian rugby needs to start making decisions in the best interest of Australian rugby. I am in constant dialogue with the other CEOs and Rob Clarke, Hamish McLennan. I am quite excited about maybe a different competition format and structure.

“If you look at the Rebels historically, our biggest crowds for the last 9-10 years have always been the New Zealand teams when we’ve hosted them. We have a big expat community. Of all the Super Rugby clubs, we would be very keen to keep some involvement with Japanese rugby … we’ve got half a dozen Japanese sponsors … that are aligned to the Rebels.

“Whatever the competition, be it domestic, trans-Tasman, or Japan, we are reasonably well set up and totally confident about our future.”

While RA is said to have had “positive discussions” with Fox Sports on Wednesday regarding a domestic competition for this year, there is major concern around the game’s future.

The Australian confirmed 16 Rebels have either been approached by foreign clubs, had signed overseas contracts pre-COVID-19 or are off contract.

Anaru Rangi is confirmed to head to Japan after this season while Andrew Deegan, Ross Haylett-Petty, Ryan Louwrens, Gideon Koegelenberg and Tom English have all fielded offers. Winger Andrew Kellaway is yet to decide on his future but is also understood to be considering a move to the Top League.

Wallabies and Rebels winger Marika Koroibete is considering his options with clubs in Japan, UK, France and the US bidding for his services.

Luke Jones (Racing-Metro), Jermaine Ansley (Highlanders), Harry Potter (Leicester) and Matt Philip (Pau) are set to leave at the end of the season, while Bill Meakes and Angus Cottrell have already indicated they will head to the United States.

Frank Lomani is expected to exit the club and Campbell Magnay is also out of contract but is considering staying in Melbourne.

The Rugby Union Players Association agreed to a COVID-19-related reduction in salary of 60 per cent until the end of September.

With foreign clubs circling prominent Wallabies and talented youngsters such as Reds gun Harry Wilson, there are rumblings within in the game for the Giteau Law to be scrapped.

As the Giteau Law stands, only players who have given a minimum of seven years’ service to an Australian Super Rugby franchise or who have played 60+ Tests for the Wallabies are eligible for Test selection while based overseas.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    The writing on the wall is starting to get bigger and bigger.

No wonder RA is sucking up to Andrew Forrest big time.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Cottrell and Meakes are bit too young to be writing themselves off by playing in the US. If I was Cottrell and considering going overseas it would be to Europe. Stronger opposition, more games and suits his playing style.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Twiggy needs to pressure RA to sack Clarke.

Player
    vCash
    And all so predictable
    Some good force names there Half our old team
    What a frickin tragedy All round

And now deegan Is on that list may be leaving as well
    Any spaces back here For some of those ?

Ps andrew cox bankrupt In NZ
    Maybe RA could resell Him The rabble with a few million sweeteners to help him out -

vCash
    Rather. condescending article by Brett Mckay today, must be killing those guys to have to write about the Force.
    « ..........The presence of the Force at the top table can also act as a viable alternative to those players that are currently sitting second, third or fourth in the pecking order at their more competitive franchises to get some regular front-line minutes. They could take on leadership roles, plus dictate team patterns and performance. ».
    And someone else whinging about the Force exceeding the salary cap - uh, what salary cap. Pack of numpties.

vCash
    ..... I am in constant dialogue with the other CEOs and Rob Clarke, Hamish McLennan. I am quite excited about maybe a different competition format and structure. »
    Of COURSE you are, you’ve got your ol’ mate Clarke parked his arse in there desperately trying to fiddle some funds the Rebs way! But there may be a bit more of a spotlight on where any cash goes these days-if there is any.

Senior Player
    vCash
    https://www.spreaker.com/episode/284...ser%3A12235923

Mark Evans on Sports FM - really good listen

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast