Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: RA to launch interim comp, Western Force to be included

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Bakkies, I dont expect much from TWAS and his never ending one sided posts on Roar supporting the RA. But Geoff Parkes is a professional journalist and is very skilled wordsmith, but is also very one eyed. He always puts some clever little snide comment in his pieces about WA or Force supporters. He always ignores or dodges questions. He will pretend that he does not understand the question and even said to me recently, that because he lives in Melbourne, I should not regard the Rebels as his team. I dont always agree with Brett Mackay, but he is a real journalist in my view and Geoff Parkes is a pretender.
    Im not so sure about Mackay being a real journalist. If you go back to Alisons piece in GAGR 3 years ago he made several comments of outrage against RA and said he would go on Twitter and other places to let people know but what happened then? complete silence

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    I wonder if this comp does proceed if the Force can recruit anyone. Nothing wholesale as the guys who have been loyal and stuck with the Force deserve there shot but a couple players might be useful. I am sure there is Australian rugby players who were playing in Japan etc who won't starting back to after July. Probably contract issues.

Another thought I saw elsewhere is the Force get some of there players back like Deegan, Fines, Tizzano etc. But again probably contract issues.

vCash
    I would add a hearty yes vote to the return of Deegan, Tizzano and Fines

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Told yas the RA dont give 2 shits about the Force. Having read that they havent received a formal invite is not news to me, its obvious.

vCash
    They were saying something about the SunWolves being based in NSW or QLD; I'm just imagining a bunch of South Australians wondering "what the hell do we have to do to see a professional game here?!"

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Who will pay if Western Force awakens?

WAYNE SMITH
    SENIOR SPORT WRITER
    9:28 PM MAY 12, 2020

Who will foot the bill for the Western Force to compete with the four “official” Australian franchises in the rebooted Super Rugby-Lite competition expected to kick off in early July — Andrew Forrest, Rugby Australia or both?

It hardly needs to be said that RA is broke and even when World Rugby’s COVID-19 rescue package of around $16-17 million arrives, it will be swallowed up in meeting the organisation’s mountain of debt. RA is cobbling together an Australian-only competition in place of the standard Super Rugby series and it needs the Force – and perhaps even the Sunwolves of Japan – to bolster the number of competing teams. In doing so, it has engaged the Force almost from day one of planning.

Until now, the issue of who would pay for the Force’s presence has been sidestepped but the tough question can be avoided no longer. The fact that RA plans to announce details of its competition either later this week or early next means that the matter must be resolved, but just to make the issue crystal clear, the Western Force on Tuesday issued a “clarification” that it had not been officially invited to join any series and that, until it was invited, it would be keeping its options open.

The “clarification”, issued by Global Rapid Rugby’s chief executive Mark Evans, could have been discretely handled in a phone call. But clearly Forrest wants the matter brought to a head.

It may be that the Perth billionaire just wants to hear RA grovel. Given that his beloved Force were culled from Super Rugby by RA – then known as the Australian Rugby Union – in 2017, Forrest would be fully entitled to make the most of holding the upper hand. All indications are that he may be prepared to foot the bill for Force, given that he would have had to cover far greater costs had his Global Rapid Rugby taken off this season as planned, only to be scuttled by the coronavirus.

Or, he might genuinely feel that since RA is somehow finding the means to fund the entry of its four Super Rugby sides, they should even-handedly meet the costs of the WA side as well.

As much as he is must be enjoying his position of strength, Forrest also would be excited at the chance that unexpectedly has opened up for the Force to compete again alongside the Brumbies, Reds, Rebels and Waratahs in even a Super Rugby-Lite competition. Although Force coach Tim Sampson is not treating the upcoming series as an audition for an even greater role in a potential trans-Tasman series next year, there is no question that if the Perth side performs well it will open the door for a permanent return to the mainstream Australian rugby family. There is, still the potential that Forrest will play the role of white knight and financially rescue Australian rugby.

He was aligned to the goals of Peter Wiggs, the RA director who resigned suddenly even as moves continued to have him replace Paul McLean as chairman.

Another front opened in that battle on Tuesday when the 10 dissident Wallabies captain sent a letter to McLean warning that they might revive their earlier call for an emergency general meeting if RA did not abide by commitments Wiggs had made as the presumptive RA chairman.

Wiggs had taken a meeting with key agitators Nick Farr-Jones, Phil Kearns and Justin Harrison on April 27.

If that situation turns ugly and RA’s attempts to claw its way back into solvency fall short, it could be that Forrest ends up being the only port in the storm for Australian rugby.

It’s for that reason that RA does not want to provoke him now with a demand that he meets all the Force’s costs but it literally may have no option but to admit that without his assistance, there is no way it can put together a five-team competition before it has received any of the broadcast dollars the game so desperately needs.

The other complication in all of this is that it is looking increasingly unlikely that the Sunwolves will be allowed to compete if the federal government refuses them permission to enter the country. RA is pressing Canberra for an answer but if the government decides to keep the international borders closed, the pressure will intensify on RA to make certain the Force take their place in the competition.

Although the Rebels will not have their medical briefing from Warren McDonald, RA’s chief medical officer until Thursday, it looks almost certain that no player in any of the provinces will object to having a flu shot before the start of competition.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...26074871635661

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    "Another front opened in that battle on Tuesday when the 10 dissident Wallabies captain sent a letter to McLean warning that they might revive their earlier call for an emergency general meeting if RA did not abide by commitments Wiggs had made as the presumptive RA chairman."

Am I interpreting that correctly and the 10 captains have sent a second letter?

vCash
    Oh dear. Wayne clearly doesn’t know Andrew Forrest at all.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    A quick question for everyone - Does RA fund RUPA?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeansyjive View Post
    "Another front opened in that battle on Tuesday when the 10 dissident Wallabies captain sent a letter to McLean warning that they might revive their earlier call for an emergency general meeting if RA did not abide by commitments Wiggs had made as the presumptive RA chairman."

Am I interpreting that correctly and the 10 captains have sent a second letter?
    I’d say so, yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    A quick question for everyone - Does RA fund RUPA?
    I think RA pays the players’ contributions to RUPA. There is reference to RUPA payments in the financial statements in each year anyway. Not sure if it’s all players or just the Super Rugby players. Presumably the latter.

vCash
    Wayne Smith lurking TWF again.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Wayne Smith lurking TWF again.
    He lurks in the Sea of Blue Facebook group too

vCash
    He lurks in the Sea of Blue Facebook group too
    His questions are valid, even if he is a bit insulting towards AF. But he and other journos are missing the biggest question, I think: Aside from who's paying the bills - who is providing the revenue. Is there any whisper of funding for a cobbled together Australian not-so-Super rugby comp in 2020?

Oh dear. Wayne clearly doesn’t know Andrew Forrest at all.
    Yep. Some really petty comments in that piece.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Yep. Some really petty comments in that piece.
    It's also pretty interesting that he directly connects the clarification message to Forrest even though a Chief Executive does normally have a fair bit of autonomy in the day to day running of a business. I would assume Twiggy understands this fact and may have only heard about it after the tweet surfaced. Rugby Australia clearly doesn't operate that way, but most businesses do and clearing the tweet with the chairman of the board will only be considered if the tweet is likely to be damaging or set a direction that is outside existing policy.

The concept that the chair has phoned up the CEO and told him to tweet something to send some sort of veiled threat seems much more Machiavellian than Twiggy has been previously. He hasn't shied away from making the tough statements himself and I would expect that he would have put his own name to it if he had a big stake in the statement. (not that he necessarily disagrees or opposes what was done, I just think it seems out of character for him to have done it this way)

C'mon the

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast