Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: RA to launch interim comp, Western Force to be included

Prospect
    vCash
    I don't normally post on here but have just noticed in YouTube a interview with Tim Sampson today and a reporter asked about new recruits and Sampsons response was you'll hear about some good news in a few days any ideas who the force have been looking at?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Just saw a post on Facebook about Jono lance, Kyle Godwin , Ollie Hoskins but not sure of the last one

Senior Player
    vCash

Sorry, cant actually get access to the article

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    From google search
    "The Daily Telegraph understands the Force will soon unveil Kyle Godwin, Greg Holmes, Jono Lance and Ollie Atkins as new recruits."

Last edited by volvo; 12-06-20 at 07:25.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    From google search
    "The Daily Telegraph understands the Force will soon unveil Kyle Godwin, Greg Holmes, Jono Lance and Ollie Atkins as new recruits." (I think they meant Ollie Hoskins)
    Bewdy! Ollie’s been playing up a storm in England the past few years-be good to see him back! And Jono solves the 10 dilemma, and will help mentoring the younger guys. Great to see these guys back, if true.

Champion
    vCash
    Now this interesting. Nick taylor at The west has a similar story (with Panadaram's name there as well) but it is slightly different on detail. I think I know which one I would believe

Western Force sign three stars, including two former Wallabies, ahead of new Super Rugby competition
    Nick Taylor and Jamie Pandaram
    The West Australian
    Thursday, 11 June 2020 6:30PM
    Western Force have signed three stars including two former Wallabies in a huge boost to the side ahead of the new Super Rugby competition.
    Local product centre Kyle Godwin returns to the Force after stints with the Brumbies and Irish side Connacht after the Force beat the Waratahs to his signature.
    Fly-half Jono Lance, who has been with Worcester Warriors, is back for his second spell at the Force.
    They will join former Wallabies tighthead prop Greg Holmes, a 27-Test veteran who was with Exeter last year.
    The Force is also in talks with second-rower Ollie Atkins who was also at Exeter and French club Rouen. He made two appearances for the Force in 2012.
    Godwin, a former Aquinas College pupil, and Holmes flew into Perth last night to start their 14-day quarantine.
    Lance is already back in Queensland.
    Godwin made one appearance for the Wallabies and was described as a “special player” by then coach Michael Cheika but his career was cruelled by injury.
    He was the first home-grown player to go through the Force academy to reach the peak of Australia rugby.
    He made 52 appearances for the Force while Lance played 18 times.
    The signings show the Global Rapid Rugby side’s intent to cause boilovers against former Super Rugby foes, Brumbies, Reds, Waratahs and Rebels.
    Sean McMahon of the Wallabies talks to team mates James Slipper and Greg Holmes. Credit: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images
    The Force open their campaign in the new tournament against the Waratahs on July 11, their first Super game since being controversially axed from the tournament by Rugby Australia three years ago.
    Coach Tim Sampson was tight-lipped when asked about players set to join the club yesterday. “There’s been so much player movement worldwide and we’ve been contacted by numerous players and player managers, I think there might be some good news over the next few days for us,” he said.
    “We’re still 30 days out so, if guys do join us, it’s a pretty good prep time for them — four weeks lead in.”
    Force will set up camp in the Hunter Valley and play early games away from home but hope restrictions ease in Perth for the back half of the competition so they can host games.
    They have a bye in round one before the game against the Waratahs in Sydney on Saturday, July 11 followed by the Reds at Suncorp Stadium.
    Their first “home” game is against the Brumbies. If they cannot return to Perth it will be moved, possibly to the Central Coast, to remove the Brumbies’ Canberra advantage.
    The Force are scheduled to play their second “home” game against the Rebels followed by a second bye and further “home” games against the Waratahs and Reds.
    They travel back to the east coast for their final two matches against ACT and the Rebels.
    Sampson said they would be competitive despite having played just one GRR game before this season’s competition was cancelled.
    “In terms of games we go in underdone but absolutely, without a doubt, we’ll put on a good show,” Sampson said.
    “I expect the standard to be very high. We’re very comfortable, we know how we can play and what is needed to compete against these teams.
    “The first couple of rounds we don’t know what we are going to get. It’s been a long time between drinks but enthusiasm and energy will certainly play a part.”
    “We can gauge ourselves on how we performed in the National Rugby Championship when we played against squads that had a lot of Super Rugby contracted players.
    “We performed really well. They will obviously have top up players, Wallaby players, who were not available but we also had a lot of players out when we won the championship.”
    Sampson said it was important that the Force were included in the competition.
    “Having the Western Force back in a national competition is crucial. Playing against the other clubs in Australia is really important,” he said.
    “What is going to be really great for our guys is they are going to be in front of eyeballs for Wallabies selection as well.
    “The guys are desperate to play. It’s their job, it’s what they train for.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881574960z

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If this is the calibre of injury coverage we're attracting for the single SR AU season then I'm impressed.
    Well done WF.

3 x ex Western Force players in Kyle, Jono & Ollie Atkins (who we last saw in blue in 2012).
    We need good lock coverage for SR level. Ollie has been tearing it up with Exeter (4 years) and Rouen, France in 2020 (14 games av 67 min and played 80 mins in 9 games - so fitness not an issue).

Greg Holmes was a genuine single team (Reds) TH/LH prop who played 27 Tests for Wallabies. A genuine scrummager.
    From all accounts he is universally considered to be a top bloke.
    RugbyPass has him ranked as #2 TH Prop in Gallagher and #12 TH in World.

Last edited by andrewg; 11-06-20 at 20:00.

Champion
    vCash
    Interesting that Jono Lance is already in Q'Land. You would think he would have to come over because even after a couple of weeks in quarantine he will have plenty of time to train.

vCash
    So is it Ollie Atkins or Ollie Hoskins? confused:

vCash
    Personal bias, I think jono wil walk into the 10 Jersey and kyle will probably take 13 off Marcel, but they shouldn't be parachuted in as dead certs. They should be made to earn the spot off the incumbents during training and only given a go once the team is demonstrably better with them there.

Holmes will be either lossehead or bench for mine. His scrummaging won't match Kieran, possibly sheminant as well.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Kyle at 13 for mine. I reckon Taefu has been brilliant at 12 and deserves to stay there.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    So is it Ollie Atkins or Ollie Hoskins? confused:
    I think Atkins

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Jono Lance can play 10 or 15, allowing Alatimu/Jooste to learn off him and/or McGregor to play the other position. I keep thinking Jono's old because he's been around so long, but he's not 30 yet.

Having Godwin back will be great - if he's only here for one year that's OK, but he'd be a useful GRR player and a genuine local product.

Holmes is 36, but will add experience for either side of the scrum. If he's been holding down a spot in the Exeter squad he should be monstering SR scrums and can only improve our props with whatever dark arts he's learnt.

If Ollie Hoskins is the 4th player, we seem to be doing fine for TH props, but less so for LH props. Ollie's been playing well for my old side, London Irish (not the best side, but in the Premiership this year).
    If it's Ollie Atkins, he's a tall timber and similar size to Thrush. We're doing OK for locks, but it's a position you can't have too many of, and it might allow the likes of Bardoul (who's only 1.92m) to play 6 and add size to the back-row, because Alcock, Stander and Stowers have a high workrate but don't have much bulk.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Anyone seen a detailed list of the law variations proposed for this comp? Can't find one - even at Rugby AU. I've seen a couple of conflicting reports in the press, particularly covering the goal line drop re-start. One claiming that this applies a when a player is "held up" - which seems scant reward for the attacking team getting to the line in the first place. Another that it applies to reward "attacking kicks". That seems, considering the deep in-goals in Rugby, to be a recipe for a bomb-a-thon lottery with no downside should the defenders "diffuse" the bomb. The Mungos have the defenders tap re-start from the 20m with a 7 tackle set if the catch is on the full. "Held up" results in a 10 meter re-start with possession retained by the attacking team. So far both those proposals seem a negative for Rugby, to me at least.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Anyone seen a detailed list of the law variations proposed for this comp? Can't find one - even at Rugby AU. I've seen a couple of conflicting reports in the press, particularly covering the goal line drop re-start. One claiming that this applies a when a player is "held up" - which seems scant reward for the attacking team getting to the line in the first place. Another that it applies to reward "attacking kicks". That seems, considering the deep in-goals in Rugby, to be a recipe for a bomb-a-thon lottery with no downside should the defenders "diffuse" the bomb. The Mungos have the defenders tap re-start from the 20m with a 7 tackle set if the catch is on the full. "Held up" results in a 10 meter re-start with possession retained by the attacking team. So far both those proposals seem a negative for Rugby, to me at least.
    I think it's the same variation that was trialled in the NRC, held up is a goal line dropout, giving the defensive team reward for good defensive structure. I was worried it would lead to a spate of defensive teams locking the ball up and pulling the attacking player over the line to get the dropout rather than pushing back in the tackle and having to endure more pick n drive......that didn't happen.

Re Bomb-a-thon, If a kick is caught on the full in the in-goal it goes to the 22, I haven't seen anything to indicate that this is changing. If it does change then te game will turn into mungoball which is essentially get as close to the line as you can and kick it in the blind hope that one of your guys can catch it.....not my preference!

Long story short (actually it's me, when have I ever done anything "short") the variation didn't kill the game in NRC, it was applied a few times and all seemed to be pretty reasonable, where the attacking team had been belting the line for multiple phases and getting nowhere through refusing to be inventive, to award a 5m scrum in that situation was (IMHO) rewarding the team that didn't try to break the defense as much as recycle the ball enough times for everybody to get bored and somebody leak a try.

C'mon the

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast