Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "I don't underestimate the challenges"

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

"I don't underestimate the challenges"

Yesterday at 6:15 PM
    by Beth Newman

UPDATE: Rugby Australia interim CEO Rob Clarke will come into his new role with his eyes wide open to the challenges the game faces as he prepares to return to the game after a three-year absence.

Clarke was announced as Rugby Australia's interim CEO on Wednesday afternoon, just hours after new board addition Peter Wiggs walked away from the administration.

Clarke is a familiar face in rugby circles, a former Chief Operating Officer under both Bill Pulver and Gary Flowers and a long time administrator in Super Rugby as well.

It has been nearly three years since Clarke was working in rugby, more recently starting up a management consultancy after resigning from his COO role in mid-2017.

The ex-Brumbies and Rebels CEO was a key player in the organisation in 2017 when Rugby Australia made the decision to axe the Western Force from Super Rugby due to the financial pressures facing the business.

Rugby Australia chairman Paul McLean approached Clarke in recent days to return to the organisation in an interim capacity amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Clarke plans on only remaining in the role for 3-6 months and is adamant he will not be a candidate for the permanent role.

Speaking to RUGBY.com.au after his appointment, Clarke said his first priority would be on helping rugby return to the field and then on shoring up an agreement with broadcasters both for 2020 and then beyond.

Rugby Australia were on the verge of finalising their 2021 deal just as the coronavirus shutdown struck and have not been able to resume talks since.

"I think getting the game across Australia playing again after COVID-19 is critical and I know a lot of good work’s been done already by people in RA and the Super Rugby clubs and community level around that, so the first priority is that and working with broadcast partners, Foxtel and Network Ten to complete the rest of this season, however it will work," he said.

"Then it's turning our minds to 2021 and beyond, what competition structures are going to make most sense and working into our SANZAAR partnership to intersect with potential broadcast partners."

After nearly three years on the outside of the game, Clarke said he felt many of the difficulties facing the game had remained markedly similar.

"I think the challenges aren’t that different to what they were when I was involved, maybe some of the issues are more critical from a time point of view and that’s what we need to focus on and try and get some traction with," he said.

Clarke will come into the position with his eyes wide open when it comes to the organisation's financial challenges and will bring with him the experience of 2017, when Rugby Australia ultimately cut the Western Force from Super Rugby.

"I don’t underestimate the challenges, there were some very tough decisions we made in 2017 due to the financial horizon facing the game and at face value that's only became more challenging since then," he said.

"So, the financial outlook will very much dictate what can be done and what should be done.

"It's a priority of mine to understand that and then work with it."

One of the key elements of shoring up Rugby Australia's financial future is working towards a broadcast deal, something Clarke said would hinge on the delicate balance of working with SANZAAR and satisfying Australia's own interests in competition formats.

"We need to actually get our plans in place and make sure whatever structure competition works for Australia and that work into that structure of SANZAAR," he said.

"We need to get that right first and then take that to potential broadcasters, and that’s easily said not easily done but I believe, I'm optimistic, I believe we'll be able to have conversations with interested broadcasters."

Clarke stopped short of laying out his view on an ideal Super Rugby format in the coming years, something that has been hotly debated in Australian circles recently.

"I think it’s too early to be able to put those views forward...it's always a delicate balancing act, historically it has been, juggling the structure that may suit Australia in isolation versus SANZAAR partners so it's a delicate balance and that will take some time."

Clarke, whose greatest challenge may be in mending bridges with WA stakeholders, said he was confident he could get the Rugby Australia board working together after reports of recent division.

"I’ve worked with a number of board directors in the past and I think I enjoy positive relationships with a lot of them so I'm expecting to work constructively with them on a number of issues," he said.

McLean said in a statement Clarke would play an important role in the months to come.

“Rob is an extremely capable and experienced leader who has vast experience in rugby and his immediate availability has enabled us to secure his expertise for an interim period while we conduct a comprehensive search for the next CEO," he said.

“Rob’s primary role will be to lead the management team and to implement the board’s restructure plans while our work continues to get rugby back on the field at both the community and professional levels.

“Our absolute priority is to get the game back up and running across the country and supporting our community so that the game is in the best position to move forward from this current period of uncertainty in a position of good health.

"We believe Rob is the right person to enable us to achieve those objectives.”

This article does not necessarily reflect the views of Rugby Australia or its member unions.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/0...ke-interim-ceo

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    What if find fascinating about all these recent stories is how often RugbyWA or the Western Force are mentioned. It was not long ago after we were axed that you could barley get them to mention it/us.

And now it's all about mending bridges and the only things that has changed is the realisation that they are in fact broke, insolvent and bankrupt.

The Clarke appointment is a complete insult.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    If RA believe this shows what they mean about building bridges, they’re more delusional than I thought. I would say Twiggy has as much contempt for that parasite Clarke as he has for Clyne. This has just destroyed any hope they had of repairing some of the damage that was done. I can only hope that media & public pressure on Clarke as CEO will dig up all the shit he’s gotten away with. Great opportunity for Nick Taylor to dredge out all the Senate evidence to the media again.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Nothing will change with this jobs for the boys attitude. As stated WA is only in the picture because RA have gone to the wall . A good fair representation with young new blood on the board is the only way forward..... like lifting COVID restrictions... not going to happen anytime soon .

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    I see he is still peddling the line that the Force were dumped because of financial considerations and Beth Newman is repeating the lie. He says he doesn't know what people in WA think of him, well I can tell him that hasn't changed at all, we still think he's a cheating, lying low-life turd! if RA think that his appointment will help relations between them and us they are dreaming! I am beyond angry!!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What do they say about repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome? Maybe this appointment is made in light of RA not being able to get their finances signed off. Appoint the bloke who knows where the bodies are buried to try and make sure they stay that way?

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Of course RA are talking about building bridges, how else do you think they're going to transport the truckloads of money they expect to weasel out of Twiggy across to the Eastern States, never to be seen again?

I hope Twiggy is as shrewd as he comes across

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth Girl View Post
    I see he is still peddling the line that the Force were dumped because of financial considerations and Beth Newman is repeating the lie. He says he doesn't know what people in WA think of him, well I can tell him that hasn't changed at all, we still think he's a cheating, lying low-life turd! if RA think that his appointment will help relations between them and us they are dreaming! I am beyond angry!!
    Hear hear!!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    If anybody feels a bit nauseous and needs a good chunder, here's the cretin himself in a clip. The part where he says he doesn't hold any grudges against WA should get you heaving. Dead set!

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/clarke-...07-p54qv0.html

PS> If you have been living under a rock for a few years and were truthful(yuk-yuk) in wondering whether anyone in WA has a grudge with you; wonder no more. There must be one or two. Somewhere. But I haven't seen any.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by shasta; 07-05-20 at 17:05.
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    If anybody feels a bit nauseous and needs a good chunder, here's the cretin himself in a clip. The part where he says he doesn't hold any grudges against WA should get you heaving. Dead set!

PS> If you have been living under a rock for a few years and were truthful(yuk-yuk) in wondering whether anyone in WA has a grudge with you; wonder no more. There must be one or two. Somewhere. But I haven't seen any.
    Can’t bring myself to watch it.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Player
    vCash

It made me see red! So angry

vCash
    Smarmy arsehole!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash

the guy gives us fuckwits a bad name,he should be expelled from our organisation forthwith and without further ado

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    RugbyWA chairman John Edwards warns against Rugby Australia’s recent appointment of Western Force-slayer Rob Clarke as interim CEO
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Thursday, 7 May 2020 8:36PM

RugbyWA chairman John Edwards warned Rugby Australia that appointing Rob Clarke as interim chief executive could be a divisive move.
    Clarke was at the forefront of axing Western Force from Super Rugby three years ago and Edwards said WA’s rugby community had long memories.
    Clarke will need to do a lot of bridge-building if he wants WA onside as he tries to sort out the national body’s financial mess. He made placatory noises at his first media conference yesterday, saying he would reach out to WA and was open to the Force in a national competition before calling Edwards.
    No doubt RA wants to get Force and Global Rapid Rugby backer Andrew Forrest into the fold after refusing his $70 million offer to keep the Force alive when they were culled ahead of Melbourne Rebels.
    Edwards said he called RA interim chairman Paul McLean after hearing of Clarke’s impending appointment.
    “We still have long memories of Rob Clarke’s role,” Edwards said. “I said we could see the appointment as being divisive and not being positive for the west because of historical issues.
    “I was given assurances it was an interim period only. Right now we need national unity.
    “Clarke will have plenty of work to do in the west. I’ll take him at face value and I will be holding him accountable.
    “He has reached out to me and told me of his intent to involve WA rugby in the national programme.
    “ If that’s his genuine intent we’ll hold him accountable.”
    Three years ago Edwards was scathing of Clarke when, as RA’s chief operating officer, he and chief financial officer Todd Day presented the business plan used to cull the Force.
    “It was the worst business plan I have ever seen,” Edwards said.
    Clarke, a former Brumbies and Rebels chief executive, said: “I’ll be reaching out to WA. They are an important member union.
    “There may well be an opportunity to re-engage the Western Force in future competition structures.
    Decisions were made back then for reasons back then. I don’t harbour any grudges. I don’t have any negative feelings towards WA or anybody else.”

vCash
    Clarke was also the CEO who badly handled Nucifora’s departure at the Brumbies and took ACT out of the team’s title for marketing purposes. That was a PR disaster right there. He was full of bright ideas and no substance.

Eddie Jones had a few choice words to say about marketers.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast