Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "I don't underestimate the challenges"

vCash
    Oh for Gods sake John, don’t touch ‘em with a barge pole! The time bomb is about to explode, and hopefully Clyne & Clarke go with it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    To be honest, I can't see what reaching out or bridge building is possible. They obviously aren't going to be able to offer money, not that they ever have in the past. Making some BS offer about including the Force in some imaginary future competition would simply be an insult, only serving to highlight the past...why would anyone trust that it would play out any differently? And what about the commitments made to GRR...just give them the flick and run back to RA, the way they just flicked the Force? For good or bad, things have moved on and that can't just be ignored.

But the most galling is "He has reached out to me and told me of his intent to involve WA rugby in the national programme". How is that an offer of anything...does that mean they hadn't been planning to? At best it is an offer of nothing that shouldn't have been already happening, but really just suggests that won't last long before they again decide WA is superfluous. And to top it all, in case of any hard feelings, they are making a big thing about him only being temporary. Can't help but wonder whether it means anything he says that might prove inconvenient could then be disavowed.

vCash
    John Edwards doing the best John Edwards to do.

Like it or not, rugbywa is still a member union of rugby Australia snd therefore Clarke is now his boss, so to speak.

He did the right thing by calling McLean and letting the truth be known and he did the right thing by offering to take Clarke at face value and hold him accountable.

He also did the right thing by putting his displeasure out in front of his members (albeit quite samitised I'll bet) but to think that rugbywa gets anywhere by refusing to deal with clarke is a fantasy.

And IMHO equally divisive as appointing Clarke as ceo

C'mon the

vCash
    John has no choice but to take Clarke at face value. But Clarke isn’t going to be interested in what RWA has to say as they have nothing to do with the Force anymore and will carry on surviving on the crumbs that have always only ever been thrown this way by Clarke and his RA mates for the community game here.

It’s Forrest and Minderoo who have all the power now and it’s them (if anyone) and their deep pockets that Clarke will be courting.

Hope they both tell him to go away!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Great post AndyS - agree with everything you’ve said.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    John Edwards doing the best John Edwards to do.
    Absolutely, and I wasn't intending any criticism of him. Indeed, I couldn't help wonder whether the specific mention of the supposed prize wasn't intended to give everyone a heads up.

I guess WA has one interesting advantage now, in that RA has to deal with RugbyWA when as a result of RA's past dealings they no longer own the Force. It gives RugbyWA and Forrest the chance to play good cop/bad cop in any negotiation, and RA no direct leverage over the Force. As noted, RA also wouldn't really have much to offer that couldn't be walked away from. And all with border closures that might allow them to shrug shoulders anyway.

vCash
    Can anyone put a copy of this up from the West today. Behind paywall.
    RugbyWA chairman John Edwards warns against Rugby Australia’s recent appointment of Western Force-slayer Rob Clarke as interim CEO

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Absolutely, and I wasn't intending any criticism of him. Indeed, I couldn't help wonder whether the specific mention of the supposed prize wasn't intended to give everyone a heads up.

I guess WA has one interesting advantage now, in that RA has to deal with RugbyWA when as a result of RA's past dealings they no longer own the Force. It gives RugbyWA and Forrest the chance to play good cop/bad cop in any negotiation, and RA no direct leverage over the Force. As noted, RA also wouldn't really have much to offer that couldn't be walked away from. And all with border closures that might allow them to shrug shoulders anyway.
    The other, left of field option is for RugbyWA to provide the team to the new Super Rugby bastardisation (IMHO the only way it could happen without Twiggy having a say in exactly how) and the Force remain in GRR. I've been thinking that it would be cool to have a Force Super Rugby team that feeds into a Force GRR team (or even the GRR teams in general)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Can anyone put a copy of this up from the West today. Behind paywall.
    RugbyWA chairman John Edwards warns against Rugby Australia’s recent appointment of Western Force-slayer Rob Clarke as interim CEO
    Already up on this thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Already up on this thread
    Thought it was another. Ta.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I have visions of Clarke running around the offices looking for incriminating documents and gleefully standing at the shredder.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    I have visions of Clarke running around the offices looking for incriminating documents and gleefully standing at the shredder.
    You think Clarke shreds his own documents?

That's way too demeaning a task for the likes of him. He'd staff it out and make sure he has enough dirt on the staffer to ensure the act never sees the light of day

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    You think Clarke shreds his own documents?

That's way too demeaning a task for the likes of him. He'd staff it out and make sure he has enough dirt on the staffer to ensure the act never sees the light of day
    Don't be ridiculous. Everyone knows Clarke NEVER carries documents. Everything, especially spreadsheets, is on his I Pad. That's why he couldnt possibly have provided the hard copy of the ARU/Force agreement which miraculously "beamed in" to land on Tim North's desk. This was presumeably a set up by some radical West Australian faction with a particle transporter stolen from the United Federation of Planets because everyone present in North's office had no idea how it got there. They did however take the opportunity to arrange for an underling to get photo copies in case it just as mysteriously beamed out again. Dead set!

Champion
    vCash
    They would borrow North's secretary. She knows how to mysteriously photo copy and shred documents..

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Thursday, 7 May 2020 8:36PM

RugbyWA chairman John Edwards warned Rugby Australia that appointing Rob Clarke as interim chief executive could be a divisive move.
    Clarke was at the forefront of axing Western Force from Super Rugby three years ago and Edwards said WA’s rugby community had long memories.
    Clarke will need to do a lot of bridge-building if he wants WA onside as he tries to sort out the national body’s financial mess. He made placatory noises at his first media conference yesterday, saying he would reach out to WA and was open to the Force in a national competition before calling Edwards.
    No doubt RA wants to get Force and Global Rapid Rugby backer Andrew Forrest into the fold after refusing his $70 million offer to keep the Force alive when they were culled ahead of Melbourne Rebels.
    Edwards said he called RA interim chairman Paul McLean after hearing of Clarke’s impending appointment.
    “We still have long memories of Rob Clarke’s role,” Edwards said. “I said we could see the appointment as being divisive and not being positive for the west because of historical issues.
    “I was given assurances it was an interim period only. Right now we need national unity.
    “Clarke will have plenty of work to do in the west. I’ll take him at face value and I will be holding him accountable.
    “He has reached out to me and told me of his intent to involve WA rugby in the national programme.
    “ If that’s his genuine intent we’ll hold him accountable.”
    Three years ago Edwards was scathing of Clarke when, as RA’s chief operating officer, he and chief financial officer Todd Day presented the business plan used to cull the Force.
    “It was the worst business plan I have ever seen,” Edwards said.
    Clarke, a former Brumbies and Rebels chief executive, said: “I’ll be reaching out to WA. They are an important member union.
    “There may well be an opportunity to re-engage the Western Force in future competition structures.
    Decisions were made back then for reasons back then. I don’t harbour any grudges. I don’t have any negative feelings towards WA or anybody else.”
    Well I harbour a grudge, he can fukc off!

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast