Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Penrith and Newcastle in race to claim extra Shute Shield spot

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Penrith and Newcastle in race to claim extra Shute Shield spot

By Georgina Robinson
    April 26, 2020 — 7.49pm

Either Newcastle or a Western Force-boosted Penrith will be the wildcard entrants to the Shute Shield when Sydney's beloved club rugby competition gets under way on July 25.

The Wildfires will fight it out with the Emus to claim the 12th spot in the Shute Shield after state government authorities gave the Sydney Rugby Union a provisional green light on restarting the community game in three months' time.

Sydney Rugby Union chairman Phillip Parsons said November 14 was earmarked for the grand final, with clubs to start training about four weeks ahead of the July 25 start.

The 12th team would be decided in four weeks, with player availability and roster strength the deciding factors, Parsons said.

"Newcastle understand our competition and the strength they need in their playing roster. We wouldn't be putting them in unless they have one that shows they can be competitive," he said. "Penrith continue to talk to the Western Force, which is a strong relationship to have."

The announcement of a July start came a few days after the Queensland Rugby Union announced it was working towards a June 2 kick-off for community rugby, including Brisbane's premier competition the Hospital Cup.

I think the world is now looking to community sport for its freshness and the intent that it's played with.

Parsons confirmed the Shute Shield would still have a home on 7Mate this season and that Foxtel and at least one streaming service was interested in broadcasting both the Brisbane and Sydney competitions.

"We are doing this in conjunction with NSW Health's public health officials," he said. "We haven't thrown a date out as other codes have, we have done this through consultation with all stakeholders and we understand things can change and will work with whatever comes our way."

The news will be a relief to match-starved sports fans, who are still waiting on Rugby Australia to work through the more complicated issue of professional rugby's restart.

Parsons predicted a new level of appreciation for club rugby when it could finally return this year.

"I think the world is now looking to community sport for its freshness and the intent that it's played with," he said.

"We realise that sometimes the motivation for sport was driven by the commercial outcomes and I think we're going to see that the world has different motivations now to deliver sport.

"Sport should have always been owned by the community and the people. We see that now and acknowledge the great work our frontline health workers are doing to keep our communities safe. Perhaps there's been a reset on what sport means to us and I think the world will push back on sport that's driven by huge commercial incentivisation."

Penrith or Newcastle will join Shute Shield regulars Gordon, Northern Suburbs, Warringah, Manly, Eastwood, West Harbour, Western Sydney (Parramatta), Southern Districts, Sydney University, Eastern Suburbs and Randwick.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...26-p54ndq.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Western Force boosted Penrith? I assume that will be a feeder team for the real Western Force.

With the smackdown they laid onto Newcastle and Eastwood earlier this year, the Shite Shield wouldn't want to let the full pro team in!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Be nice to have the NRC and Shute Shield trophy in Perth, that would send a pretty strong message.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    So it looks like the GRR are on the charm offensive to get a 2nd Australian team in Western Sydney or Newcastle.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Be nice to have the NRC and Shute Shield trophy in Perth, that would send a pretty strong message.
    And also the Australian Super final, if there is one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Western Force boosted Penrith?
    Well, it will please at least 2 of our regulars.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Well, it will please at least 2 of our regulars.
    I'm not sure about that. After extensive discussion with one of them, I've gained the insight that the Emus was pretty Clusterf##ky in management. I think there were good reasons why they were booted from the Shield (apart from being unable to field teams)

I would expect that the "Force Boosted" Penrith team will essentially be Western Force east. Not an atrocious idea, but ridiculously overpowered for the Shite Shield unless it's mainly Future Force players with a couple of experienced heads and some Penrith players who we might want to poach.

THat being said, having the Force completely obliterated the Shite Shield will serve a couple of pr purposes that the Sydney rugby establishment just don't seem to be able to get their heads around, the GRR being a level below the NRC and potentially not competitive with Shite Shield and the concept that Shite Shield should be the pathway to Super Rugby representation. Therefore I wouldn't complain if the boys went over to Sydney for some easy warm up games before they started to get involved in anything serious.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    After extensive discussion with one of them, I've gained the insight that the Emus was pretty Clusterf##ky in management. I think there were good reasons why they were booted from the Shield (apart from being unable to field teams)
    Sadly for the former Emu club, that is spot on.

I would expect that the "Force Boosted" Penrith team will essentially be Western Force east. Not an atrocious idea, but ridiculously overpowered for the Shite Shield unless it's mainly Future Force players with a couple of experienced heads and some Penrith players who we might want to poach.
    One thing about the GWS area is the large base of neglected raw talent, tailor made for rugby - bigger than Tonga.

The rugby wankers to their east cbf'd with helping much to develop that, other than straight poaching.

If the Force are to involve and develop them as a feeder club, rather than pure poaching, fine.

THat being said, having the Force completely obliterated the Shite Shield will serve a couple of pr purposes that the Sydney rugby establishment just don't seem to be able to get their heads around, the GRR being a level below the NRC and potentially not competitive with Shite Shield and the concept that Shite Shield should be the pathway to Super Rugby representation. Therefore I wouldn't complain if the boys went over to Sydney for some easy warm up games before they started to get involved in anything serious.
    Well, yeah.

I don't quite reckon we'd see a rebadged Force in the SS, though.

vCash
    They play Rugby Union I'm Penrith? Would have thought there'd be too many bogans out there

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Would have thought there'd be too many bogans out there
    Good call. Clyne is from Penriff. Educated in Kingswood Country. Dead set!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Inside word is Newcastle is the front runner.

Penrith is still struggling to put together the required numbers. 4 Grade teams and 3 Colts teams.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The stunning prospect of the Western Force joining rugby’s “Crisis Comp” is proof of how overdue it is for Rugby Australia to work with mining billionaire Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest, writes Jim Tucker.

A key call within the cohort of 10 former Wallabies’ captains pushing for change is bringing Forrest’s acumen inside the tent after three years on the outer.

Without such a force of nature behind them, the Perth-based side might have disappeared when they were chopped from Super Rugby by RA amid anger and disagreement in 2017.

Instead, the Force stand proudly as 2019’s National Rugby Championship winners and at the heart of Forrest's Global Rapid Rugby plan, which would have embraced teams in China, Malaysia, Samoa and Fiji from March-to-May but for the health crisis.

“It has shocked me for some time why you wouldn’t bring someone like him into rugby’s inner circle,” Force coach Tim Sampson said.

“You can’t ignore someone like Andrew, and it’s not just his capability around finance.

“His passion to support the Force, and Australian rugby, is as impressive and I include his wife, Nicola, too for her positivity towards the game.

“He has vision as well as the drive to be successful and innovate, so it’s great to hear that all he has done to keep the Force going may mean a fantastic chance to get on the field against Super Rugby sides when rugby comes back in early July.

He’s in it for the long haul and rugby is blessed to have him.”

Forrest and his wife gave away $520 million this month to their charitable Minderoo Foundation to assist in buying health equipment to fight coronavirus as well as bushfire relief.

The Force would play beside the Reds, Waratahs, Brumbies and Rebels, under one domestic series model, because border restrictions rule out overseas sides.

RA’s poor finances, with a $9.4 million loss on the 2019 books, is the code’s underlying problem, so savvy financial men like Forrest and new RA board member Peter Wiggs, with his success at rebuilding companies, are key players.

Australia’s former national director of coaching Dick Marks goes as far as saying Forrest “is the key to uniting and repairing the game with his resources and acumen”.

Western Australia’s easing of restrictions meant nine Force players could train with a fitness coach, whereas just two players can gather in Queensland or NSW.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Reading a few boards, it is interesting to see how many people over east are relieved to see that Andrew Forrest is going to save professional rugby for them...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Reading a few boards, it is interesting to see how many people over east are relieved to see that Andrew Forrest is going to save professional rugby for them...
    They need to read Knox’s piece in the SMH that Shasta’s just posted in another thread on here.

They also need to read up on Andrew Forrest....

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Enough to make us barf? Feel a bit "tell 'em their dreaming"? Not really when you think back to how much public opinion, and media commentary was in favour of the Force remaining in SR just prior to Clyne's Judas act. Time to look ahead. If Andrew Forrest has the time, people like him need to be appointed the RA board and just as importantly to whatever the "Review Board" ends up. Urgently and before a new chair is chosen. Not for his fortune, but rather his love of the game and his smarts and can-do attitude. Don't have a lot of faith in the letter signatories dominating that review - I'd also like to see included some of those who declined.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast