Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Coronavirus-affected NRL season to restart on May 28 after reaching agreement

vCash
    The decision to punish those 2 referred to in the above post with a wet lettuce flogging has added extra leverage to Ch9, who have now been joined by Fox, in pushing for a reduced price deal. Ch 9 is also maneuvering, as part of the mooted contract extension, to take over the NRL's digital arm which includes nrl.com and the digital streaming NRL Pass ($100 a year). News Corp journos have been pumping this "arm" as one of the NRL's most wasteful areas. I doubt they were angling for 9 to take it over. This digital arm, which is valued at $50 mil (seems unders to me) costs only $15 mil a year to run. John Grant and Dave Smith were lauded as "visionary" to keep this as the NRL's property. With both pay and FTA TV getting content poorer by the week pre-Covid, it was likely to be a great asset. It's a sign of how tough sports rights negotiations will be in future - for all codes.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nin...01-p54p5f.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    The NZ Warriors have arrived in Tamworth to isolate and train together, minus Nathaniel Roach who stayed home for a Covid-19 test (turned out to be negative).

I'm going to have give V'landys some very begrudging respect if it keeps going to plan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

I'm going to have give V'landys some very begrudging respect if it keeps going to plan.
    That's the second time I've seen you have a pop at PVL. He's in charge of Racing NSW and the NRL. Steered the latter through a potential disaster of Horse Flu to financial sustainability and will soon be boss of possibly two of the only few running sports on the planet during Covid 19.

Did he steal your lunch money or something?

vCash
    Storm coach Craig Bellamy has ripped into players in his heated Zoom warning recently, Bellamy also warned his troops: “If any of you f*** this up for our club then you will have to deal with me”.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Addo Carr fucks up again, as he surely will.

vCash
    You'd need full PPE then. BellyAche "sprays" are the stuff of legend.

PS Trent Robbo being tested for Covid. Better now than next week I suppose.

PPS. Day 1 for the NRL and Souff's Liam Knight Adam Reynolds and Latrell Mitchell sent home and Covid tested.

Last edited by shasta; 04-05-20 at 17:37.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Bellamy is setting social media rules for his players without it being part of any workplace agreement, now where have I heard that before??

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    That's the second time I've seen you have a pop at PVL. He's in charge of Racing NSW and the NRL. Steered the latter through a potential disaster of Horse Flu to financial sustainability and will soon be boss of possibly two of the only few running sports on the planet during Covid 19.

Did he steal your lunch money or something?
    Some of his comments re: expansion and there were a couple of others (don't remember them now) that irked me when first took the role.

vCash
    You'd need full PPE then. BellyAche "sprays" are the stuff of legend.

PS Trent Robbo being tested for Covid. Better now than next week I suppose.

PPS. Day 1 for the NRL and Souff's Liam Knight Adam Reynolds and Latrell Mitchell sent home and Covid tested.
    All were cleared this morning.

Wonder what anti-vaxers like Bryce Cartwright will think when they don't get paid because they won't get a flu jab.

vCash
    Some of his comments re: expansion and there were a couple of others (don't remember them now) that irked me when first took the role.
    Yeah I remember that. But I'd accepted that likely outcome before he came along. Moot point now anyway. He seems a very straight shooter and has won the respect of most sections of the game. Thank f@ck he dropped into the picture just when a do-er is needed more than ever. I just hope he listens to John Grant re hanging on to the digital department.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Yeah I remember that. But I'd accepted that likely outcome before he came along. Moot point now anyway. He seems a very straight shooter and has won the respect of most sections of the game. Thank f@ck he dropped into the picture just when a do-er is needed more than ever. I just hope he listens to John Grant re hanging on to the digital department.
    If he sells the digital arm to Channel 9 or Fox he should be sacked.

It's not an NRL only thing either, a lot of the major sports around the globe were stepping up their own digital coverage (except maybe RA lol) with so many of the traditional media newspapers/organisations moving to a paid subscription model in order to access the news.

vCash
    If he sells the digital arm to Channel 9 or Fox he should be sacked.

It's not an NRL only thing either, a lot of the major sports around the globe were stepping up their own digital coverage .
    Looks like that might be easier said than done, though. PVL has inherited an organisation on financial life support and the broadcasters have him well and truly by the goolies. They, particularly 9, really don't like nrl.com selling digital streaming of their productions to build a potential new competitor. They seem to be getting more hard nosed by the day. If he can somehow manage a way through this AND keep digital rights, he's a genius.

'Not a given that NRL has to be part of our future': Nine willing to walk away from rugby league

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/not...05-p54q1t.html

vCash
    Rubbish

Without the NRL channel 9 are toast.

vCash
    Well I suppose its a case of get out the popcorn and see who blinks.

vCash
    Rubbish

Without the NRL channel 9 are toast.
    Fox in the hole: NRL could go back to the future in TV merry-go-round

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fox...06-p54qal.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2