Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Castle Gone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Thank goodness World Rugby is doing its due diligence!!! Let’s hope it’s not knobbled...........
    Brett Robinson was appointed there recently he will get a rude shock.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Brett Robinson was appointed there recently he will get a rude shock.
    Let’s hope so Bakkies. BUT I have a suspicion that Clyne and Castle are both still on there as Aus reps.....!!!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Player
    vCash
    The more concerning is that a news corps lackey executive is to be appointed to the board in Hamish McClellan. Unbelievable.

Carroll was John O’Neil deputy, isn’t that when ARU expenditure started to sky rocket and the quagmire began? The organisations he has been ceo of since are far smaller and less complex then RA.

I keep wondering how the rebels can still be solvent too. Government money? There is no way RA can afford that anymore. Maybe one day we will see the largesse spent on them.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Let’s hope so Bakkies. BUT I have a suspicion that Clyne and Castle are both still on there as Aus reps.....!!!!
    Only Robinson got elected to the Executive Committee.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Champion
    vCash
    Can't believe it, Rob Clarke has been appointed interim CEO of RA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Just gets better.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    And with that appointment goes any very super slim chance RA had to get money from Twiggy.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Just gets better.
    They just seem to be going backwards at the speed of light. You really cant make this stuff up.

vCash
    The ABC on line report of this ends with "More to come". What an understatement.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    We get rid of Clyne and then get Clarke back again!!! What kind of f*ckery is that?!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Rugby: Peter Wiggs has resigned from his position with the ARU just five weeks after taking the role on, making some brutally honest claims as he left.
    RUGBY
    Rob Clarke returns to Rugby Australia as interim CEO; Wallabies legends stunned by Peter Wiggs resignation
    Jamie Pandaram, The Daily Telegraph
    May 6, 2020 6:42pm
    Subscriber only
    Fiery email chain humiliates Rugby Australia
    AOC boss backs Carroll for rugby’s top job

The 10 former Wallabies captains who pushed for a leadership change at Rugby Australia have been left aghast by the sudden resignation of director Peter Wiggs, on a dramatic day in which Rob Clarke took over as interim chief executive.

The former Australian skippers; Phil Kearns, Nick Farr-Jones, Stirling Mortlock, George Gregan, George Smith, Simon Poidevin, Stephen Moore, Jason Little, Rod McCall and Nathan Sharpe had presented RA with a vision to revitalise the game, and had been in discussion with Wiggs.

In another ugly development for Australian rugby, Wiggs had demanded at last Monday’s board meeting that he would accept the position of chairman on the caveats that he be allowed to appoint Matt Carroll as chief executive and bring back former rugby boss John O’Neill to the board.

Stream over 50 sports on-demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

That stance was rejected by fellow board members, who wanted to follow due process, leading Wiggs to resign on Wednesday morning.

“We’re shocked by the developments, we thought Wiggs was someone we could get behind and support to institute that transformational change we’ve been calling for,” Kearns said.

“That opportunity seems to have been missed.”

An email dispute between Wiggs and RA’s executive chairman Paul McLean was leaked to The Australian after Wiggs’ resignation.

Carroll, the Australian Olympic Committee chief executive, is still interested in the RA chief executive position despite his friend Wiggs’ departure, but will not actively pursue it.

And he may yet get the opportunity, with Clarke revealing he will not stay in the role beyond 2020.

Former Network Ten boss Hamish McLennan is tipped to replace Wiggs on the board and become the chairman, allowing McLean to step down before July.

Having been chief executive of the Brumbies and Melbourne Rebels, and also chief operating officer of the Australian Rugby Union in two terms under Gary Flowers and Bill Pulver, Clarke has previously been touted as a future boss of rugby.

But he suddenly quit his post under Pulver in 2017, when many believed he was close to replacing his boss.

However, Clarke and wife Kylie have been enjoying a less stressful lifestyle in recent years and he intends to resume that once the COVID-19 restrictions have eased.

“I have told Paul McLean I will not be a candidate for the full-time role, I’ve offered to fill in the gap while they find a new person to help settle things,” Clarke told The Daily Telegraph.

“My wife Kylie and I have been travelling quite a bit, we would be travelling now if it were not for the COVID-19 restrictions, so my calendar has suddenly opened up for six months. But once the restrictions are lifted we intend to resume travel again.”

Clarke said his focus will be on the resumption of rugby this year after coronavirus restrictions are eased enough, scouring the financial position of RA and working to generate much-needed income by developing a clear picture of tournament structures next year and selling them to a broadcaster.

“How can we use this opportunity, while it is having drastic consequences on our lives, how can we use it to reshape the game, as the old adage goes, never waste a good crisis,’ Clarke said.

“I’ll be working to position the game for the future, I really want to get stuck into that, there is plenty to do and I am excited by it.”

COMMENT

Rugby’s become a laughing stock

In the latest episode of The Office: Australian Rugby, the new guy supposed to be running the company quit before his seat got warm, leaving the next guy a flaming desk to work on.

This award-winning comedy show is now in its sixth season and continues to defy critics with its fantastical and ridiculous plot twists.

There was Bill Pulver’s failed attempt in 2014 to have Kurtley Beale sacked over the Di Patston fiasco, in which it was revealed the former rugby staffer had told players she was a psychologist despite no training in the field, ultimately leading to the resignation of Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie.

Then Cameron Clyne’s denials that Western Force had been marked for death in early 2017, followed by the infamous “48-72 hours” quote lumping the Melbourne Rebels onto the chopping block, only to confirm the Force’s demise from Super Rugby months later.

Then came the failure of Raelene Castle and her contracting staff to insert the necessary clauses into Israel Folau’s $5 million contract that opened up the ugliest sports employment battle in Australian history.

The laughs continued as Castle and the board sidelined Wallabies assistant coach Stephen Larkham on full pay after the Wallabies’ worst season on record in 2018, after head coach Michael Cheika threw him under the bus to keep his own job.

Nobody got sacked, but Scott Johnson was appointed director of rugby above Cheika, and made up a three-man selection panel alongside Michael O’Connor.

The end result was the Wallabies’ worst result in World Cup history last year in Japan, a humiliating quarter-final thumping by England.

Castle and the board then decided to reject Fox Sports’ $200 million offer for rugby’s 2021-25 broadcast rights package to instead go to the open market — a bold move that has ultimately led the game to the brink of insolvency and cost Castle her job.

And now to Peter Wiggs, the multi-millionaire businessman touted as the man to save the code.

Wiggs — set to be the new chairman but not formally appointed at Monday night’s meeting — had apparently been made promises that were reneged on, quitting yesterday after being unable to immediately appoint long-time friend Matt Carroll as Castle’s successor and former rugby chief John O’Neill onto the board.

And while all this is going on, RA has been unable to submit its financial statement to ASIC and stakeholders because auditors refuse to sign off on the document.

Much hilarity there, too.

The key cast members of this sitcom are executive chairman Paul McLean, Pip Marlow, Hayden Rorke and John Wilson, who have presided over most of these debacles.

Phil Waugh and president Tim Gavin are more recent directors, while new additions Daniel Herbert and Brett Godfrey have yet to get their fingerprints tainted.

The key actors of this bumbling production are determined to *continue onwards, ensuring the *comedy show rolls on for the *foreseeable future.

Those laughing loudest are the other football codes, who once used to be called “rivals”.

COMMENTS

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...a74607ef4b40ea

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post

Rugby’s become a laughing stock

In the latest episode of The Office: Australian Rugby, the new guy supposed to be running the company quit before his seat got warm, leaving the next guy a flaming desk to work on.

This award-winning comedy show is now in its sixth season and continues to defy critics with its fantastical and ridiculous plot twists.

There was Bill Pulver’s failed attempt in 2014 to have Kurtley Beale sacked over the Di Patston fiasco, in which it was revealed the former rugby staffer had told players she was a psychologist despite no training in the field, ultimately leading to the resignation of Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie.

Then Cameron Clyne’s denials that Western Force had been marked for death in early 2017, followed by the infamous “48-72 hours” quote lumping the Melbourne Rebels onto the chopping block, only to confirm the Force’s demise from Super Rugby months later.

Then came the failure of Raelene Castle and her contracting staff to insert the necessary clauses into Israel Folau’s $5 million contract that opened up the ugliest sports employment battle in Australian history.

The laughs continued as Castle and the board sidelined Wallabies assistant coach Stephen Larkham on full pay after the Wallabies’ worst season on record in 2018, after head coach Michael Cheika threw him under the bus to keep his own job.

Nobody got sacked, but Scott Johnson was appointed director of rugby above Cheika, and made up a three-man selection panel alongside Michael O’Connor.

The end result was the Wallabies’ worst result in World Cup history last year in Japan, a humiliating quarter-final thumping by England.

Castle and the board then decided to reject Fox Sports’ $200 million offer for rugby’s 2021-25 broadcast rights package to instead go to the open market — a bold move that has ultimately led the game to the brink of insolvency and cost Castle her job.

And now to Peter Wiggs, the multi-millionaire businessman touted as the man to save the code.

Wiggs — set to be the new chairman but not formally appointed at Monday night’s meeting — had apparently been made promises that were reneged on, quitting yesterday after being unable to immediately appoint long-time friend Matt Carroll as Castle’s successor and former rugby chief John O’Neill onto the board.

And while all this is going on, RA has been unable to submit its financial statement to ASIC and stakeholders because auditors refuse to sign off on the document.

Much hilarity there, too.

The key cast members of this sitcom are executive chairman Paul McLean, Pip Marlow, Hayden Rorke and John Wilson, who have presided over most of these debacles.

Phil Waugh and president Tim Gavin are more recent directors, while new additions Daniel Herbert and Brett Godfrey have yet to get their fingerprints tainted.

The key actors of this bumbling production are determined to *continue onwards, ensuring the *comedy show rolls on for the *foreseeable future.

Those laughing loudest are the other football codes, who once used to be called “rivals”.

COMMENTS

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...a74607ef4b40ea

That second article was poetic.

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 06-05-20 at 18:47.

vCash
    Don’t believe Clarke doesn’t want the job long term. Unless he thinks that 6 months is long enough for him to set the course he and Tim North want RA to go in, ensure the financial security of the Rebels in perpetuity, and suck the marrow out of the code.

I think it’s finally time for RugbyWA to cut all ties with Rugby Australia and become part of an Asian rugby union.

vCash
    In other news the Rebels have signed a sponsorship deal with the $2 dollar shop and Rob Clarke has returned to the RA to respond to his Questions on Notice.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Don’t believe Clarke doesn’t want the job long term. Unless he thinks that 6 months is long enough for him to set the course he and Tim North want RA to go in, ensure the financial security of the Rebels in perpetuity, and suck the marrow out of the code.

I think it’s finally time for RugbyWA to cut all ties with Rugby Australia and become part of an Asian rugby union.
    Clarke is pretty good with big spreadsheets apparently, but these have never been leaked to the press.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast