Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Castle Gone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    And a good swipe at Clyne too! I can’t see how Clyne could ever shake off the shit that sticks to him to ever be accepted by a corporate body, especially when one of Australia’s most successful billionaires loathes him. But then, Clyne seems to have thick skin.
    Uncle Cam doesn’t give a shit and there is no thick skin. As soon as the Senators got deep in their questioning he tried to weasel his way out of it.

He has never had the guts to face WA fans personally. His subordinates Pulver and Eales did that for him while getting his messages mixed up.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Project apollo: Rugby Australia’s plan to save union without Raelene Castle

Rugby league has Project Apollo to relaunch the game and now the 10 former Wallabies captains who pushed for Raelene Castle’s resignation have unveiled their blueprint to make Australian rugby great again.

And the centrepiece of the captains’ master plan is the establishment of an Australian Rugby Review board to dissect the code’s disturbing decline over the past decade and then, hopefully, to return the game to its glory days.

Stirling Mortlock, one of those who signed a letter sent this week to Rugby Australia calling for a leadership change, believes the need for a total overhaul has been 13 years coming.

“I personally think we should have had the ’Oh Jesus’ moment after the 2007 World Cup - just like New Zealand did,” Mortlock told AAP.

“New Zealand used the 2007 experience (of also being eliminated in the quarter- finals by France) to create alignment throughout their whole rugby system.

“Unfortunately we didn’t.

“But we are now buoyed that all stakeholders are ready to work together in a transparent and open manner to get a solution that’s going to be in the best interests of Australian rugby.”

Mortlock hopes the healing and “reinvention” can begin immediately.

“Effectively what we are all going for is using this as an opportunity to have a clean slate and part of that is reconnecting the professional part of the game to the grassroots, the amateur game, so we’re totally as one,” he said.

“Unfortunately for a long period of time, the grassroots - the clubs, the school games, which are the foundations of our game - have been totally neglected.

“So the key for us is collaboration, transparency, trust and open communication with all stakeholders - that’s RUPA, all the member unions, Rugby Australia and everyone coming together to have input into using this as an opportunity to get things right.”

Mortlock acknowledged the group of captains - which also includes Nick Farr- Jones, George Gregan, George Smith, Simon Poidevin, Stephen Moore, Jason Little, Rod McCall, Nathan Sharpe and Phil Kearns - didn’t have all the answers.

But they share a collective burning desire to find the solution through the creation of the review board.

The independently chaired think-tank panel would likely comprise of a delegate each from the ACT Brumbies, NSW Waratahs, Queensland Reds, Melbourne Rebels and Western Force, two or three from Rugby Australia, one from RUPA and up to eight other appointments.

The rest here

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    That actually sounds like a step in the right direction.

Hopefully SA, NT AND Tassie Rugby will all be given equal representation on the board in order to form a truly national blueprint.

Hopefully also, the board will be structured and staffed to ensure that the traditional croneyism and self-interest is left at the door.

I'm not hopeful that point 2 is even possible.

C'mon the

vCash
    Haven't we heard of this concept before?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    What a load of wind. I guess we'll have to see what good or ill it blows, but hard to see how their version of good won't mean bad for GRR and the unions it had hoped to benefit.

Apprentice
    vCash
    So we have an Australian Rugby Review board who sits somewhere above or beyond the RA Board. We now have 13 more noses in the trough. These so called individuals will not do it for free. Is it a one off review or do they recommend this approach is long term. What did Sharpie and his two mates do in the last review? Good article on The Roar about player power, maybe these new so called captains, who have some credibility issues, could be a bigger problem. Just get the constitution revised so as to have a level playing field and get rid of the clingons!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    They want a root and branch review of the RA along with copies of the 13 or so reviews that they have done. Throw in opening of the books. We don’t even know if they supplied those reviews to the Senate Committee.

I have only seen the Arbib review.

vCash
    Spiro came out swinging in Geoff Parkes’ wrap on The Roar.

Geoff

I was surprised that the rugby media involved in the Paul McLean interview and answer session did not press the acting chairman of Rugby Australia on two crucial issues: the integrity of the unaudited accounts of Rugby Australia and the unresolved broadcasting rights for the 2021 and future rugby seasons.

The refusal to allow the accounts to be audited is a serious matter. RUPA agitated for weeks for this information and when the real but still unaudited figures were revealed to them they immediately settled for taking a massive cut to the salaries of the players.

This suggests to me that Rugby Australia has not been upfront with the rugby community about the real state of its accounts.

There have been media reports that the loss for the 2019/2020 year is significantly higher than the leaked figure of $9 million.

It has been reported, for example, that Rugby Australia’s lawyers are yet to be paid out for their work on the Folau case.

Why wasn’t Paul McLean questioned diligently on the accounts and why they remain unaudited?

Similarly, the rugby media has swallowed the lines that ‘Optus was within a week’ of signing a massive broadcasting deal with Rugby Australia.

There have been media reports that the Optus deal was a low bid.

Why wasn’t Paul McLean questioned about this by the rugby media?

Instead, on the Monday after the interview, the SMH announced that Optus was not returning to the negotiating this year.

The truth about the new broadcast deal is that Raelene Castle, who was leading the negotiations for Rugby Australia, snatched disaster from the jaws of victory with her obsession against Fox Sports.

On 25 April Brett Harris wrote an important story on this matter for The Guardian: ‘Raelene Castle becomes the latest casualty of Australia’s flawed rugby system.’

Here are two important paragraphs from this story:

‘It would hardly have surprised Fox Sports executives when Castle rejected their initial low offer of $20m a year for broadcast rights, but what Castle did next would have stunned them. For the first time, Castle took the broadcast rights to open tender, hoping to create a competitive tension between Fox Sports and another bidder, expected to be Optus.

‘Castle’s ballsy move prompted Fox Sports to make a much improved revised offer, but Castle did not seem to fully appreciate the magnitude of her victory and rejected it. It is understoo Fox Sports executives breathed a huge sigh of relief and then withdrew from the bidding process. The pressure on Castle has mounted ever since, reaching a breaking point with the captains’ call for change.’

Again, why wasn’t Paul McLean questioned about this at the media interview on Saturday?

Raelene Castle’s lost gamble on the broadcasting rights of Australian rugby is arguably the most catastrophic decision made by a Rugby Australia official.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post

Raelene Castle’s lost gamble on the broadcasting rights of Australian rugby is arguably the most catastrophic decision made by a Rugby Australia official.
    Was it Raelene's decision all on her own OR was it a board decision for which she has become the scape goat??

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Was it Raelene's decision all on her own OR was it a board decision for which she has become the scape goat??
    No way she would have made a decision of that importance without board approval.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I do believe Cameron was very much wanting to take lots of the credit for the new 'fantastic' broadcast deal they were going to sign. Of course that was before it all blew up in their faces.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    No way she would have made a decision of that importance without board approval.
    Early February RA were preparing to send tender documents out to Fox, Optus and a few others. They had refused Foxtel's original bid. Fox claimed they were not entering the tender process and sat on their hands. I cant recall them making a higher bid as Spiro said in the article but I suppose he'd be right if he wrote that. Clyne stepped down at the end of February, at least two weeks after that. I doubt you'd find many who'd think those decisions were not made by him. But I'd bet you'd find plenty that would suspect they were made without running it past all the board members, given his stated wish to lock in a new deal before the AGM. Could even be the reason he was torpedoed before his term finished.

P.S. Beat me to it while I was checking dates Volvo.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    You may be bang on the money there Shasta. That is exactly the type of MO that Clyne would use.

vCash
    An pretty scathing assessment of the past week in RA's (mal)administration from Malcolm Knox. Hard to disagree with most of it.

Amateur hour returns as Castle crumbling sends rugby back to the past

As rugby in Australia takes one giant leap into amateurism, followers can take reassurance from the fact that its leadership is setting the example..........Truth is, the day the CEO of Rugby Australia arrives in their office they are served up a big poo sandwich....... Let’s hope it isn’t one of those dogs who chase cars all day, only, when the car stops for them, to have no idea what to do with it.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/amateur...24-p54mtn.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    An pretty scathing assessment of the past week in RA's (mal)administration from Malcolm Knox. Hard to disagree with most of it.

Amateur hour returns as Castle crumbling sends rugby back to the past

As rugby in Australia takes one giant leap into amateurism, followers can take reassurance from the fact that its leadership is setting the example..........Truth is, the day the CEO of Rugby Australia arrives in their office they are served up a big poo sandwich....... Let’s hope it isn’t one of those dogs who chase cars all day, only, when the car stops for them, to have no idea what to do with it.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/amateur...24-p54mtn.html
    That’s a great piece!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast