Castle Gone

Just on ABC news.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Just saw it. Take no solace from this.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good. A complete waste of space. Did absolutely nothing for WA. Her listening tour was the biggest waste of RA money ever, good riddance Raelene, now fuck off.

vCash
    Raelene Castle resigns as Rugby Australia chief executive
    You have 1 free article remaining

Understand today. Join the Herald.
    Subscribe with Google
    CARD OR PAYPAL
    Already subscribed? Log in
    Georgina Robinson
    By Georgina Robinson
    Updated April 23, 2020 — 7.57pmfirst published at 7.36pm
    Share on Facebook
    Share on Twitter
    Share on Whatsapp
    Send via Email
    Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
    Embattled Rugby Australia boss Raelene Castle has resigned.

On Thursday evening she telephoned interim chairman Paul McLean to hand in her resignation. It brought to an end her almost two-and-a-half year stint as RA's chief executive.

Raelene Castle resigned as chief executive of Rugby Australia after less than two and a half years in the job.
    Raelene Castle resigned as chief executive of Rugby Australia after less than two and a half years in the job.CREDIT:GETTY

She said in a statement provided to the ABC: "I love rugby on every level and I will always love the code and the people I have had the honour of working with since I took this role. I made it clear to the board that I would stand up and take the flack and do everything possible to serve everyone’s best interests.

"In the last couple of hours, it has been made clear to me that the board believes my no longer being CEO would help give them the clear air they believe they need. The game is bigger than any one individual - so this evening I told the Chair that I would resign from the role.

Advertisement

"I will do whatever is needed to ensure an orderly handover. I wish the code and everyone who loves rugby nothing but the best and I would like to thank the people I work with and the broader rugby community for their enormous support."

Clouds were gathering ominously above Castle's Pyrmont apartment on Thursday as speculation mounted she had less than a week left in the top job.

She was a late scratching from a crucial meeting with the state chairmen to go over RA's 2019 balance sheet and cash position.

Less than 24 hours earlier, Castle's fellow directors excluded her from a board conference call on Wednesday night. She was unaware the meeting had taken place.

Castle's withdrawal from Thursday's balance sheet meeting was unexpected and unexplained to those present on the call, with chief financial officer Simon Rabbitt and new director Peter Wiggs left to steer the talks, which were the first opportunity for the Super Rugby chairs to size up RA's full financial picture.

Advertisement

The developments came as a board source told the Herald Castle would not see out next week at the helm of the business after losing the confidence of the board.

The 48-year-old was not aware of any threat to her job when contacted through a spokesman. Indeed, she was scheduled to appear on the ABC's 7.30 current affairs program on Thursday night, recording an interview with presenter Leigh Sales earlier in the day.

The biggest question the RA board will have to answer is who will replace her.

There do not appear to be any internal candidates of sufficient experience or standing to fill the role, leaving the likely scenario that a director would be asked to step up in an interim capacity. Wiggs and World Cup-winning Wallaby Daniel Herbert would be the most qualified.

Advertisement

Wiggs runs private equity firm Archer Capital and is chair of Supercars after Archer bought the business for a reported $180 million from SEL in 2011. It is now reportedly worth about half its purchase price and is in the middle of difficult broadcast negotiations to renew its deal with Fox Sports and Ten.

Herbert is highly regarded in the game and is the most experienced sports administrator on the board, having served as Queensland Rugby Union executive general manager and chief commercial officer, among other roles, over an eight-year period. He is now chief executive officer of strata management firm SSKB.

Outside the current board and administration, both Phil Kearns and Nick Farr-Jones have been touted as would-be successors, although the board would come in for fierce criticism if it made a permanent appointment without following a formal and independent recruitment process.

Farr-Jones told the Herald's CBD column on Wednesday that he "would like the challenge, but I really like what I'm doing at the moment".

Advertisement

His involvement in a funding scandal while chairman of the NSW Rugby Union would likely come up for discussion. Farr-Jones used $56,000 of NSWRU money earmarked for Indigenous education to dole out a secret personal loan to former Wallaby Jim Williams in 2015. It was not paid back until some six months later. A federal government investigation cleared the World Cup-winning former captain of misusing federal funds.

Kearns lost out to Castle when both applied to replace Pulver in 2017. He has been coy on whether he would throw his hat in the ring again, answering a direct question on the matter from Fox Sports this week with references to his contribution to the grassroots.

RELATED ARTICLE
    George Gregan was the last Wallabies captain to lift the Bledisloe Cup, back in 2002.
    RUGBY AUSTRALIA
    Former Wallabies skippers sign letter calling for change at top of RA
    Add to shortlist
    Farr-Jones and Kearns led the charge this week on the explosive letter signed by 10 Wallabies captains and sent to interim chair Paul McLean. The letter calls for the current administration to step aside and for a special general meeting of the RA members to be convened by the end of the month.

Farr-Jones told CBD he met with McLean on Thursday. "I had good discussions with Paul McLean today and we're trying to work amicably to achieve the required outcome for the benefit of the game," he said.

Advertisement

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Transiting View Post
    Just saw it. Take no solace from this.
    Ditto ...

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Just on ABC news.
    I don’t believe anything will change unless the whole Board is shown the door, and then nominations are called, none of this nepotism where two members of the Board pick new Board members, yeah that really helps get a diversified Board representing the whole of Australia. The nominees are then voted on by each State & Territory Board, one vote per Board, we then might see a Board that is representative of Rugby across the whole of Australia, not as it has been, 7 from NSW and 2 from QLD and they had the cheek to call themselves Rugby Australia. I am also led to believe that an ex CEO of Virgin Airlines in Brett Godfrey has been elected to the Board under the two Board member picking system, I hear he is on a Committee pushing for an AFL team to be based in Tasmania, surely to my way of thinking that is a conflict of interest.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So...the board was up to its normal tricks of isolating people from Board Meetings?

vCash
    And Clyne’s got away scot free again. Which Board of Directors is he going to pop up on next I wonder.

vCash
    Back to the Vicar of Dibley

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Good. A complete waste of space. Did absolutely nothing for WA. Her listening tour was the biggest waste of RA money ever, good riddance Raelene, now fuck off.
    What an ignorant post Spartan! Do you realise that RA was stuffed long before Castle came on the scene? She has basically taken the sword for the mess that O'Neill then Pulver and Clyne left RA in. Nothing will change unless there is a major restructure of the way the Board is appointed

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth Girl View Post
    What an ignorant post Spartan! Do you realise that RA was stuffed long before Castle came on the scene? She has basically taken the sword for the mess that O'Neill then Pulver and Clyne left RA in. Nothing will change unless there is a major restructure of the way the Board is appointed
    Exactly Perth Girl!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    So...the board was up to its normal tricks of isolating people from Board Meetings?
    A leopard never changes its spots

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Player
    vCash
    So don't put the fox in charge of the hen house! None of the 'Hateful 10' should be allowed anywhere near any position of power or influence!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Transiting View Post
    Exactly Perth Girl!
    Exactly
    She may not have been on top form, but basically she Was a patsy For Patsy

vCash
    I'm sure you are all aware that she wasn't my favourite person in all of Rugby, but I don't think this is good news. I assume she's the sacrificial lamb that I thought she was upon her appointment, destined to be thrown to the flames at the most opportune moment to save the assess of those who are really destroying the game.

Without the swamp being completely drained, I see only two options
    1 Another scapegoat will be selected, purely to give the powerbrokers another 6-12 months with their snouts in the trough before the whole cycle repeats
    2 The appointment of the actual CEO who has been waiting in the wings the whole time, preparing for the day, once Castle's done all the dirty work, to sweep in and "save Aussie Rugby" by implementing whatever addleheaded schemes the cabal has in mind, most likely a return to Sydney and Brisbane being the centre of the rugby universe and the right schools maintaining their stranglehold on all the highest paying positions in the game.

Neither is a win for Aussie Rugby, I hope Twiggy has been watching and doesn't get convinced to fund this little disaster!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast