Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Castle Gone

vCash
    It’s paywalled but this is the text, Bakkies:

“Rugby Australia has descended into more chaos, with powerbroker Peter Wiggs on the cusp of walking away from the board.

A frustrated Wiggs has confided to friends he could resign as early as tomorrow, after he was backed in by the board to be the next Rugby Australia chairman on Monday night.

But the board meeting became heated after Wiggs made clear the conditions on which he would take the chairmanship.

In the meeting, Wiggs said that considering the code’s dire financial state, the fact has more than $16m in debt and — as The Australian can reveal — KPMG still won’t sign off on the financials, he wanted to appoint the CEO.

With RA in such a perilous state, Wiggs expressed a desire to make a “captain’s pick”, suggesting to the board that Matt Carroll, his friend and Australian Olympic Committee boss, take the job immediately.

Former Australian Rugby Union CEO John O’Neill was also suggested to take a board position.
    Longstanding board members including Pip Marlow, John Wilson and Hayden Rorke baulked at the idea of Wiggs installing his own CEO. One board member suggested they would look like “idiots”.

RA board member Daniel Herbert also disagreed with Wiggs implementing his own CEO.

The objecting board members were offended at a lack of “due process” and wanted a recruiting firm to be appointed.

In the heated meeting one board member suggested Wiggs, the Archer Capital and SuperCars boss who has been on the board for just over a month, had been “planting himself in the media”. Another criticism of Wiggs was that he was “too Mosman”.

Wiggs, who has been studying Rugby Australia’s financial books, working endless hours to make sense of the code’s state, has also confided to sources they are “much worse” than he expected.

Rugby Australia failed to submit the annual report to the Australian Securities Investment Commission by last Thursday’s deadline. They are awaiting a rescue cheque from World Rugby.

If Wiggs walk away, the code’s broadcast negotiations will be in limbo once again. Wiggs has close ties with Fox Sports — owned by News Corp, publisher of The Australian — and was expected be crucial in the TV rights negotiations.

Wiggs has strong state backing to be chair from NSWRU boss Roger Davis and Queensland rugby’s Jeff Miller. Former Rebels boss Rob Clarke is expected to be announced as interim CEO shortly.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Thanks I just had a read. That’s exactly what needs to be published not even Alan Jones mentioned the deadline in his article.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Thanks I just had a read. That’s exactly what needs to be published not even Alan Jones mentioned the deadline in his article.
    I checked the Corporations Act yesterday. For some entities the deadline for filing is three months after the end of the financial year but for RA it’s 4 months, so 30 April 2020. It’s a strict liability offence if the deadline is missed.

RA filed a change of director notice today to take RC off the list, but the accounts are still not there.

My personal view is that RA is insolvent. Otherwise, why wouldn’t the auditors sign off and why wouldn’t the accounts be filed within the legal deadline.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I checked the Corporations Act yesterday. For some entities the deadline for filing is three months after the end of the financial year but for RA it’s 4 months, so 30 April 2020. It’s a strict liability offence if the deadline is missed.

RA filed a change of director notice today to take RC off the list, but the accounts are still not there.

My personal view is that RA is insolvent. Otherwise, why wouldn’t the auditors sign off and why wouldn’t the accounts be filed within the legal deadline.

Absolutely I posted the latest updates from ASIC about those deadlines on the previous page. They should have used the inability to have an AGM due to be unable to make meeting arrangements and the same issues will affect audits which would have given them a couple of months grace to sort out their affairs.

vCash
    Absolutely I posted the latest updates from ASIC about those deadlines on the previous page. They should have used the inability to have an AGM due to be unable to make meeting arrangements and the same issues will affect audits which would have given them a couple of months grace to sort out their affairs.
    Something smells very bad. ASIC need to get in there and do what they should have done after the Senate Inquiry.

vCash
    Cheers for posting the article Alison.

I agree with the board members that there is a lack of due process if Matt Carroll gets made CEO immediately (is there due process in Rob Clarke being made an interim CEO?), but TBH, this isn't what makes the existing board members "look like idiots" - that was done over a period of several years of inept stewardship to get us into this state.

Mind you, a desire to install his own right-hand man smacks of despotism; we don't want to finally get rid of Clyne only to have another tyrant in charge.

Get Matt Carroll onto a shortlist and get him interviewed by the board. Do they really need an interim CEO at this time? I wonder how much of the RA's budget is being spent on this. I mean, getting the right management structure is crucial at the moment, so why rush the decisions?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Something smells very bad. ASIC need to get in there and do what they should have done after the Senate Inquiry.
    Does Sport Australia have a role to play here too? Part of their mission is to facilitate modern effective and efficient governance. The Arbib Review has delivered the polar opposite and, more alarmingly, helped perpetuate same.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Does Sport Australia have a role to play here too? Part of their mission is to facilitate modern effective and efficient governance. The Arbib Review has delivered the polar opposite and, more alarmingly, helped perpetuate same.
    They damn well should have. But based on their total lack of any action or interest in response to the Senate Inquiry or even any effort to enforce their own guidelines on good governance, I think they are just another useless chocolate teapot like ASIC.

vCash
    This would probably put nibs on the grand Trans Tasman Comp that they’re all talking up lately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Sport Australia are a wet lettuce they should be scrutinising each national sporting organisation to make sure all money is accounted for, jobs are advertised, only a certain percentage is spent on salaries, a specific amount of revenue has to be distributed to grassroots, ensure that people are being paid benefits, proper tender processes and addressing the issue of large registration fees.

There are too many poorly run national sporting organisations in this country and the average family is footing the bill for this largess.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Wiggs has resigned and IRB loan conditional on the basis that their books are audited. Game over.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    EXCLUSIVE: Rugby Australia board member Peter Wiggs has tendered his resignation after an explosive email exchange with RA’s interim chair Paul McLean last night. All the details here....... behind a firewall....

vCash
    Wiggs has resigned and IRB loan conditional on the basis that their books are audited. Game over.
    Thank goodness World Rugby is doing its due diligence!!! Let’s hope it’s not knobbled...........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    EXCLUSIVE: Rugby Australia board member Peter Wiggs has tendered his resignation after an explosive email exchange with RA’s interim chair Paul McLean last night. All the details here....... behind a firewall....
    Pretty much a rehash of her piece yesterday:

“Rugby Australia board member Peter Wiggs has tendered his resignation after an explosive email exchange with RA’s interim chair Paul McLean last night.

The Australian has obtained the email chain where McLean writes to Wiggs saying his “closeness” to Matt Carroll, the current Australian Olympic Committee CEO who has been suggested as the next Rugby Australia boss, “would be a concern for most Boards. So how do we apply separation”.

McLean suggests that Magellan executive and incoming board member ex-Ten boss and News Corp executive Hamish McLennan would be a more suitable chairman. McLean proposes that Carroll and McLennan meet “immediately”.
    The email from McLean reads: “What if we get Hamish and Matt together immediately, and if Hamish is comfortable (with Matt) and to come to the Board early, and as designate Chair, we could appoint Matt (Phil [Waugh], Dan [Herbert], Brett [Godfrey], and me would support). You remain a lead director, without the Chair title which was never your desire, anyway, Matt gets the role he would like, and we get a good CEO immediately.

“I can only presume you hate the politics as much as me, so I’m keen to get this resolved. I put Rob on hold, but that won’t last long. Maybe a chat in the morning.......... Rgds PM”

Wiggs then replied to McLean saying he would resign today.

“Hi Paul, This is a very disappointing email, what little regard I had for RA Board is now extinguished. I tried calling to discuss. I will resign tomorrow. Regards Peter.”

The Rugby Australia board remains fractured after Monday night’s meeting.

The board meeting became heated after Wiggs made clear the conditions on which he would take the chairmanship.

In the meeting, Wiggs said that considering the code’s dire financial state, the fact has more than $16m in debt and — as The Australian can reveal — KPMG still won’t sign off on the financials, he wanted to appoint the CEO.

With RA in such a perilous state, Wiggs expressed a desire to make a “captain’s pick”, suggesting to the board that Matt Carroll, his friend and Australian Olympic Committee boss, take the job immediately.

Former Australian Rugby Union CEO John O’Neill was also suggested to take a board position.

Longstanding board members including Pip Marlow, John Wilson and Hayden Rorke baulked at the idea of Wiggs installing his own CEO. One board member suggested they would look like “idiots”.

RA board member Daniel Herbert also disagreed with Wiggs implementing his own CEO.

The objecting board members were offended at a lack of “due process” and wanted a recruiting firm to be appointed.

In the heated meeting one board member suggested Wiggs, the Archer Capital and SuperCars boss who has been on the board for just over a month, had been “planting himself in the media”. Another criticism of Wiggs was that he was “too Mosman”.

Wiggs, who has been studying Rugby Australia’s financial books, working endless hours to make sense of the code’s state, has also confided to sources they are “much worse” than he expected.

Rugby Australia failed to submit the annual report to the Australian Securities Investment Commission by last Thursday’s deadline. They are awaiting a rescue cheque from World Rugby.“

Senior Player
    vCash
    Wayne Smith?
    No, Jessica Halloran
    For the record, Smith's piece:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...db3e6983c79a7c

John Coates gives Matt Carroll his blessing to return to Rugby Australia

Wayne Smith
    5:04PM May 5, 2020

Not only is the Australian Olympic Committee president John Coates prepared to allow Matt Carroll to return to rugby union without obstacle but he believes he is just the man Rugby Australia desperately needs to fill the role of chief executive.

Job switches are always a matter of timing and in this instance Carroll, the chief executive of the AOC, got his timing almost perfect. Had the Tokyo Olympics been going ahead in July on the original pre-coronavirus schedule, Coates admits he would have taken a very dim view of Carroll’s approach to him on Tuesday to return to Rugby Australia.

“If the Games were this year, I would kill you,” Coates told Carroll, seemingly only half-jokingly. But with the Olympics being deferred by a year and still 14 months away, he does not want to stand in Carroll’s way if he had truly set his heart on making the move back to rugby.

“He had a talk to me this morning after he realised I would have read it (in the newspapers) and he said, “Look John, just as your heart and passion is the AOC, mine’s rugby.”

No one from RA has contacted Coates but had they done so, he would have given them a glowing referral of that work Carroll has done with the AOC since joining in May 2017.

“From everything I know and having worked with him, I think he would be the ideal person for this,” Coates insisted. “With the AOC, he has really reintroduced us to all the national federations. The last few secretary-generals didn’t get on the phone, didn’t get out and about. So our relations are very good.

“He has regularly been in Canberra, he has moved around all of the states with the state Olympic Council. He has done a very good job with getting this “Olympics Unleashed” going …. they are all the things that are missing in rugby. Someone has got to go out and win back the club heartland, win back the states. It’s not rocket science and it’s not dissimilar.”

Coates noted that the only person Carroll himself had been in contact with from Rugby Australia was the presumptive chairman, Peter Wiggs. No one else from the RA has been in touch.

“Everyone is replaceable,” he said. “I don’t say that lightly. He (Carroll) has been outstanding. (But) he still has to be offered a position.”

Like most rugby supporters, Coates simply wants to see the code pull itself together and he is wearying of the endless political squabbles. “Someone do something and get it together,” he said. “It needs someone to take it by the throat.”

Nor have the RA boardroom antics soured Coates’ close relationship with former boss of Rugby Australia John O’Neill, now the chairman of the Star Entertainment Group. The two have worked closely on Brisbane’s Olympic bid, with O’Neill joining Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk on her trip to Lausanne in January this year to help sell the southeast Queensland bid to International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach.

With Wiggs attempting to sell his fellow RA directors on the advantages of triumvirate of himself as chairman, Carroll as chief executive and O’Neill as an incoming board member, there was concern that Coates might have viewed O’Neill as attempting to lure the AOC chief executive back to rugby.

But Coates was adamant that all was well with O’Neill.

“We have a good relationship and he rang me to say that Matt had called him to say that he was very worried about talking to me and John rang me to thank me for how I had approached the thing with Matt. John knows him so very well. He said you’ve nailed it, that’s where his heart is. That’s what he wants to do and that’s where he would be very good in John’s mind. We’ve had that conversation.”

Wayne Smith
    Senior Sport Writer

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast