Thread: The letter that has brought rugby to a painful divide

Senior Player
    vCash

The letter that has brought rugby to a painful divide

The letter that has brought rugby to a painful divide

WAYNE SMITH
    APRIL 22, 2020

In Napoleonic times, the invincible Old Guard’s entry onto the battlefield usually signalled the beginning of the end, so there is little doubt the arrival of a letter expressing the rage of 11 past Wallabies captains would have sent similar feelings of dread through the Rugby Australia ranks.

After months, years even, of a sustained saturation media barrage, the moment has arrived to send the crack troops ashore. There was nothing haphazard about this attack nor is the martial imagery out of place. It all has been planned with military precision. The softening up process has ended. It is time to go for the kill.

Two weeks ago, past Wallabies captains had been sounded out about the letter, mostly by Phil Kearns and Nick Farr-Jones. Some had baulked at it, believing that as bad as things were, it was not the way to bring about meaningful change. Apparently, the list dropped from 15 to 11.

There were a couple of staggering cases of a lack of self-awareness from a couple of signatories, men who had seen service as rugby officials in recent times and who had found out first-hand just how difficult the job really was.

It is also understood at least one signatory was taken aback to find his name being bandied around in public and late on Wednesday Michael Lynagh withdrew from the list of signatories. He reportedly had not expected the letter to be released to the media, which, curiously enough, was precisely how Rugby Australia chairman Paul McLean — another former Wallabies captain, incidentally — had felt when the story appeared online. He had met the dissidents’ deadline and hoped he had reached an agreement with them to discuss their grievances behind closed doors. He was mistaken.

There have been 83 Australian captains since Australia played its first Test in 1899 two years before it was officially a country. There are about three dozen captains still alive today and while it would have been inappropriate to approach current players or a man like Chris Whittaker, who has a brother working for Rugby Australia, the dissidents represented barely a third of the sample available.

Where was Andrew Slack or Tim Horan or James Horwill or David Pocock or Mark Loane or David Wilson or Will Genia or Tony Shaw or Rocky Elsom or David Codey or Ben Mowen? Notice the trend. All of those Australian captains raised not in conspiracy in Queensland.

The dissidents failed to recruit Mark Ella. He, like Slack and others, didn’t need to be reminded of Rugby Australia’s shortcomings. “I’m not going to say that Raelene (Castle) is a terrific CEO but she is doing the best she can in difficult circumstances.” Ella said. “I don’t think it’s all her fault. You can’t blame one person. I politely said to Nick Farr-Jones, thanks mate, but no. I didn’t want to be involved.”

And they probably never rated their chances of getting Phil Waugh on board, given that he too is a member of the Rugby Australia board.

But the prize scalp of them all, the alpha male of Wallabies captains, John Eales, eluded them. He had led the Wallabies through 55 of his 86 Tests and then, a decade or so later, he served on the board of Rugby Australia for eight years up until 2018. He was there during the difficult period in 2016 when the Western Force were axed from Super Rugby and he had braved the mob and ventured to Perth to try to explain why. It was probably the first time in Eales’ life that he had not been the most popular person in the room but he was determined not to hide from the problem.

Nor was he hiding now. “We all recognise that rugby is going through a difficult period,” he explained. “I did not sign the letter because I felt it better to act on concerns directly, as a group with the chairman, as he is already enacting considerable change.

“What I know is that there are good people across all levels of rugby working hard to solve complex problems. Paul McLean is at the front of making that change and renewal. Everyone wants what’s best for Australian rugby.”

Other sources have revealed Eales outlined his reasons for not signing in a letter to the 11 dissidents.

Still, 11 Australian captains is 11 Australian captains. They deserve our respect and attention. So, what do they want?

There was this in their manifesto: “We speak as one voice when we say Australian rugby needs new vision, leadership and a plan for the future. That plan must involve, as a priority, urgent steps to create a much-needed sustainable, commercial rugby business.”

That thumping sound you hear in the background is surely that of the eight Rugby Australia directors banging their heads on the boardroom table. “Damn! A sustainable, commercial rugby business? It’s pure genius! Why didn’t we think of that?”

Seriously, where is the detail?

In its purest form, what the men behind this attempted coup want is anarchy. They want to tear the entire structure down and then rebuild again. All contracts would be declared null and void, Australia could extricate itself from such complex arrangements as SANZAAR — but just the Super Rugby side, not money-spinning Rugby Championship — and be in a position where the likes of Andrew Forrest and US hedge funds would feel free to invest in the game.

There are just a couple of problems … for starters, sponsors would desert the code in droves. It would be just the opening they want in these days of coronavirus. International partners such as New Zealand and South Africa, which stand to lose a fortune in broadcast rights if Australia abandoned SANZAAR would probably never speak to us again. And suddenly the players — including Israel Folau — would find the agreements they had signed with Rugby Australia all but worthless.

The dissidents insist — genuinely in some cases — that their criticism isn’t directed at any one person but it is a fair bet that Raelene Castle won’t see it that way. She must have thought it hilarious the tweet that was posted on Wednesday by a rugby league fan: “Todd Greenberg exits the NRL after what can only be described as the most sustained attack on a sporting official/administrator in memory.” Greenberg has been through plenty, no denying, but it is nothing to what Castle has sustained since taking up the job in January 2017. Nothing.

Since then she has had to deal with one crisis after another — Folau mark I, Folau mark II, a rogue Wallabies coach and a broadcast deal that was hijacked by a COVID-19 pandemic that has shut down everything, rugby included. She has not been given a moment’s respite, her every move scrutinised and criticised.

Unquestionably she has made mistakes but isn’t it funny how it has taken the pandemic to bring down anything like the same media attention onto the failings of her chief executive counterparts in other Australian sports?

She is a fighter to the core but common sense suggests she cannot take much more and it may be that the long, lonely walk down a deserted corridor awaits.

The captains’ letter has brought Australian rugby to a classic and painful divide. There are some good men on that list of dissidents but this is a parting of the ways — anarchists to the right, those who favour evolutionary change to the left. And finally, everyone knows where everyone else stands.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...4bbe36e8ee6c99

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Wayne paying for his free tickets.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    So much for the theory that it is an orchestrated attack on Castle by all News Ltd outlets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    I tend to agree with his general thrust here. I posted this when the story first broke...

Seems an extensive list, doesn't it. But another way of looking at it is that of all the Wallaby captains since Paul Mclean, and excluding those still playing, less than half have signed. Presuming they were asked, this is just further proof of how divided the game is at present.
    https://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=41435

It is indicative that Noddy asked to be removed (a little late for that). The reason has now come to light - it was a disingenuous stitch-up. Paul McLean and the board were given only 2 hours to respond. In past times there was much less turnover of Wallaby skippers. Without any disrespect to the bunch of the last 10-15 years, it seems very telling that such highly respected captains as Mark Loane, Tony Shaw, Andrew Slack etc, declined. That this letter was passed on so quickly to bloody News Corp is damning vindication of their foresight.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Smith is clearly a mouthpiece for Castle and RA.

Read his 4th last paragraph!!!!

She brought on the crises with Folau and she orchestrated the division with her coach. To not have written into Folua's contract post crisis 1 a restriction on social media blows my mind and has cost RA millions.
    To have stood down Folau without even discussing it with Chieka is criminal. She caved in to Joyce. I bet had she demanded Chieka handle the issue because Folau was a Wallaby, RA would have saved millions and not lost QANTAS.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I tend to agree with his general thrust here. I posted this when the story first broke...

https://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=41435

It is indicative that Noddy asked to be removed (a little late for that). The reason has now come to light - it was a disingenuous stitch-up. Paul McLean and the board were given only 2 hours to respond. In past times there was much less turnover of Wallaby skippers. Without any disrespect to the bunch of the last 10-15 years, it seems very telling that such highly respected captains as Mark Loane, Tony Shaw, Andrew Slack etc, declined. That this letter was passed on so quickly to bloody News Corp is damning vindication of their foresight.
    Shasta

There is still a division between Queensland and NSW that runs deep.

vCash
    An article today by Peter Fitzsimons today shows just what a stitch-up the letter was. I won't be even a little surprised if it turns out Michael Lynagh was not the only captain to be blindsided by this.

The one demand they made was "for the game's finances to be made available at a special general meeting no later than April 30."

In receipt of the letter including that demand at 3.04pm on Tuesday, McLean replied at 4.19pm saying, very mildly, no need to wait that long.

"I have received the letter (and happy to share with our board), and would invite this group to meet with RA at any time to interrogate all the materials they wish, as encapsulated in points 1. and 2. of your letter. RA is happy to supply this information without the need for you to request it via the media. I would welcome the signatories at any time, to discuss any of these matters."

He never heard back and the letter went public anyway.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...22-p54map.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Shasta

There is still a division between Queensland and NSW that runs deep.
    True but that's not the story here. Sharpie, Rod McCall, Steven Moore and Jason Little all signed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Smith is clearly a mouthpiece for Castle and RA.

Read his 4th last paragraph!!!!

She brought on the crises with Folau and she orchestrated the division with her coach. To not have written into Folua's contract post crisis 1 a restriction on social media blows my mind and has cost RA millions.
    To have stood down Folau without even discussing it with Chieka is criminal. She caved in to Joyce. I bet had she demanded Chieka handle the issue because Folau was a Wallaby, RA would have saved millions and not lost QANTAS.
    Just to clarify. When I said I agree with the "general thrust" of his article I was referring to the underhanded way the letter was used. Definitely not defending any decisions of the recent. past

vCash
    To be honest, this is all a bit too much for me. I just can't figure out the agendas here, apart from the immediate and most obvious. I'm just going to retire to the couch with my box of popcorn and watch the blood soak into the ground

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!