Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ex Wallabies Captains Speak

vCash
    Eales has become so pathetic. His reputation in rugby circles is mud.

---------------------------
    April 23, 2020 8:45am
    FOX SPORTS

‘I’m gobsmacked’: Former Wallabies captains fire back at RA critics

Former Wallabies skipper John Eales has thrown his support behind RA leadership.
    Former Wallabies skipper John Eales has thrown his support behind RA leadership.
    Three former Wallabies captains have leapt to the defence of Rugby Australia while Michael Lynagh has backflipped on his involvement in the stunning takedown.

News broke earlier in the week of 11 disgruntled former Wallabies captains penning a letter to demand leadership overhaul at RA.

Nick Farr-Jones is believed to have been the instigator behind the letter while fellow former Test captains George Gregan, Stirling Mortlock, George Smith, Michael Lynagh, Simon Poidevin, Stephen Moore, Jason Little, Rod McCall, Nathan Sharpe and Phil Kearns also signed it.

But now the list is down 10 with Lynagh requesting his name be removed, sensationally claiming it was not explained to him exactly what they were protesting about.

“This is not the way I do things and I have withdrawn from the whole thing,” Lynagh told The Australian.

“It doesn’t mean that I don’t support the change but I had quite a few questions about what they were proposing.”

Three former Wallabies captains - John Eales, Mark Loane and ex-Rugby Australia president Tony Shaw have also fired back at the stunt.

“I’m gobsmacked,” Shaw said to the Sydney Morning Herald .

“Why put it in the public domain when you have a chairman, who was a captain, just like you, who’s done every job in rugby known to man - from player, captain, coach, administrator and president - and worked his butt off to work through the pandemic fallout in a short time frame.”

“I’m surprised they didn’t take the option to pick up the phone and set up a meeting behind closed doors.

“It’s my understanding that the board has met 20-odd times since the virus outbreak hit, so everyone there has been putting in considerable time and effort to get the game through.”

Shaw was not given the opportunity to sign the letter as was Loane, who also threw his support behind the embattled McLean.

Tony Shaw has thrown his support behind the current RA leadership. (Photo by Dan Mullan/Getty Images)
    Tony Shaw has thrown his support behind the current RA leadership. (Photo by Dan Mullan/Getty Images)
    “I think all four codes in Australia are at risk long-term, but Paul McLean is one of the most calm and coolest characters I’ve come across and a long-term friend, I give him my full support during this difficult time,” Loane said.

Eales was approached but opted against signing and has since spoken out about why he chose to break rank.

“We all recognise that rugby is going through a very difficult period. I did not sign the letter because I felt it better to act on concerns directly, as a group, with the chairman, as he is already enacting considerable change,” Eales said.

“What I know is that there are good people across all levels of rugby working hard to solve complex problems. Paul McLean is at the front of making that change and renewal. Everyone wants what’s best for Australian rugby.”

The Heraldreports that Wallabies captains currently playing professionally, including Will Genia, Michael Hooper and David Pocock were not approached to be involved in the letter.

“As Wallaby Captains we feel privileged to have represented our country and led our respective teams into battle, facing difficult situations together,” the letter — published in The Daily Telegraph— read.

“In recent times, the Australian game has lost its way. It is a defeat inflicted not by COVID-19, or an on-field foe, but rather by poor administration and leadership over a number of years.

“Our rural clubs, junior clubs, subdistricts and community clubs have been let down and we firmly believe transformation is needed across the game in this country. There’s no time to waste.

“We speak as one voice when we say Australian rugby needs new vision, leadership and a plan for the future. That plan must involve, as a priority, urgent steps to create a much-needed sustainable, commercial rugby business.

Rugby Australia were swift to reply to the letter. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)
    Rugby Australia were swift to reply to the letter. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)
    “Our youth deserve to be inspired. They need to see a pathway and to feel a connection with the Wallaby jersey.

“It is with this in mind we ask the current administration to heed our call and stand aside to allow the game to be transformed so we emerge from this pandemic with a renewed sense of unity and purpose.”

Rugby Australia were quick to put out a statement on Tuesday night, stating:

“Rugby Australia respects and values the opinions of these former Wallabies leaders and statesmen and has welcomed the group to meet with the board at its earliest convenience,” RA said.

“Rugby Australia also welcomes the involvement of the group in its current process to review the rugby landscape as it navigates the effects of the global COVID-19 health and economic crisis.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Kearnsey's answer to me over the Blow up comment - was that at the time the Force was in total disarray and he wanted to show his disappointment and probably the choice of words was not the best, but he did not back away from expressing the fact he thought we were a rabble at the time.

Would he stand up to Clyne? Good question. I honestly don't know, I would like to think he would. Eales, Pulver and Castle followed Clyne blindly so did Marlow and Sherry. Stookie was and is a beacon to the pillars of our game. He called out the lack of transparency, lack of loyalty, courage and compassion that went missing during our culling.

I have kidded Kearns on being too one eyed and Sydneycentric. Again he won't apologise for being that way, he is very passionate and loyal to the game and his roots in the game.
    Well too bad then. If he cannot get over his NSW obsession and pathetic attitude then he isnt fit to run RA. Its as simple as that. He has dug his own grave in that regard. I personally do not want to see him anywhere near the top job, just another New South Welshman able to keep ruining our game. Stooke should get the gig.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3