Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 'No handout possible': SANZAAR won't get virus bailout, says Pichot

Senior Player
    vCash

'No handout possible': SANZAAR won't get virus bailout, says Pichot

'No handout possible': SANZAAR won't get virus bailout, says Pichot

By Daniel Gilhooly
    April 15, 2020 — 2.48pm

Vice-chairman Augustin Pichot says World Rugby won't bail out SANZAAR nations that hit the financial skids, making it critical they extract themselves quickly from the coronavirus pandemic.

Pichot said the four leading southern hemisphere countries must work together to emerge from the crisis, citing a chilling scenario of Rugby Australia collapsing financially and sparking an international domino impact.

No rugby at all in 2020 for the Wallabies, All Blacks, Springboks and Pumas would create a combined financial deficit of about £400 million ($790m), Pichot estimated, something World Rugby couldn't hope to cover.

It made the battle to quell COVID-19 in timely fashion critical for the sport in the southern hemisphere whose unions, he said, must remain unified.

"Because if Australia falls, then it hits straight to New Zealand first, then it will hit South Africa and Argentina. So we all fall," Pichot told The Breakdown show on Sky TV in New Zealand.

"There's no individual way. The first issue we need to address is coronavirus and mitigate it.

"It's not about World Rugby giving handouts, because there's no handout possible. World Rugby does not have the 400 million pounds."

Pichot said the sport's enforced break should prompt SANZAAR to assess the ongoing profitability and viability of its competitions, even in the short term.

The former Argentina international believes now is a good time to assess the value of introducing Japan and Fiji to a new-look Rugby Championship.

He suggested Super Rugby's entire blueprint could be addressed, even wondering if the Buenos Aires-based Jaguares can afford to remain if international travel becomes prohibitive.

"Maybe you find out that that competition cannot be played because it is not profitable or is too much of a burden," Pichot said.

"Even in Argentina, can we really afford to carry on Super Rugby with the Jaguares having to pay for the trips all round the world?

"Maybe we have to fold Jaguares and look for other alternatives."

Pichot has announced he will challenge England's Bill Beaumont for the World Rugby chairmanship and is likely to garner support from the southern hemisphere nations.

Beaumont has promised a major review of World Rugby to transform it into a voice for all nations, not just the traditional powers of the sport, and wants to revisit a global season competition structure that failed to take off last year.

Pichot, the underdog when votes are tallied on April 26, has staked his bid on a modern, more inclusive game that incorporates private investment and gives emerging nations a greater say.

"In the last year or year and half, I've been challenging the system from the inside, but I couldn't get traction," Pichot said.

"I thought the establishment was pushing me out a little bit, to be honest."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...15-p54k39.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I like this Pichot man!

The waste and profligacy of the John O’Neill, Clyne, Robinson and Pulver eras of the ARU are really starting to show now. How different would things be if they had stayed as 14 teams in 2010? The rot set in with the admission of the Melbourne Rebels and then the expansion to 18 teams in 2016.

You screwed not only your own pooch, but also those of your Southern Hemisphere brothers.

Way to go ARU. Way to go.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    That sort of mealy mouthed horse-shit, sounds like he'd fit right in at WR.
    a) No-one is talking about business as usual, so that number is just BS. They are talking about the irreducible amounts ensuring survivability, not making up for every unplayed match and all salaries.
    b) WR does in fact have the money - they've fortuitously just come out of the RWC which netts them billions each time. Unless they're saying they are saving it for an even rainier day.
    c) Conversely, one of the main reasons the countries are in the position they are is because RWC years decimate the SH finances. IMO, if they have to dig their own way out, I think they would be well within their rights to decline further involvement until they are confident they're no longer exposed to exactly this sort of risk.
    d) None of the crap he is talking about restructuring is a solution even for the next decade, let alone the next few months or year. "Japan will save you"...FFS!
    e) He may have just made himself irrelevant though. He probably wasn't imagining things when he felt he was being pushed to one side, so if he was going to make a run at the top job he probably wouldn't have been hoping for support from the home nations...

Last edited by AndyS; 15-04-20 at 16:47.

vCash
    Andy that is a cop out.

- Every executive administrator within SANZAAR knows there is a reduction in domestic tests in RWC years
    - The IRB aren’t stupid enough to loan money to unions who can’t afford to pay it back
    - The IRB also needed to address the financial issues and mismanagement in tier one unions. Giving away money isn’t going to fix it
    - Pichot knows that they have failed to expand commercial deals outside of broadcasting
    - The unions until now have always sold the broadcasting rights to the same companies who aren’t going to pay a lot due to no rival bids
    - The competitions are too expensive to run which is obvious

Talk to any SA Rugby fan and they will tell you that there are hundreds of players in that country making payments out of the game. That is unsustainable. The low Rand and quotas are often blamed but when unions like the Bulls have over 100 players on their payroll no wonder their players are inconsistent and top players like Pollard leave.

Not enough players fighting to keep their contract and not enough in the bank to keep Pollard.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    By exactly that same argument then, everyone out of work should just suck it up...shit can happen, they should all have planned ahead, the government should sit on their money.

No-one planned for this, and while in the normal scheme of things the effect of the RWC would be smoothed out over four years, things aren't normal.

It is not WR's job to run everyone's rugby, otherwise they would have had to step in on Fiji and the USA long ago and should never have given any of them a cent for anything. But WR do claim governance, and if they aren't careful the tier one countries may start to ask themselves what exactly that means. Because if it is not something like this, they may need to ask themselves how exactly they benefit and whether they can afford to continue supporting it. Or maybe even if they will even exist to do so. And I'm not just thinking RA here, but both SARU and NZRU as well.

vCash
    This was always going to happen regardless of Coronavirus. The virus just fast tracked it. Even if the virus didn’t occur they had budgeted for a loss and there was no broadcast deal along with competition structure for next year.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Pichot has my vote.

Beaumont has nothing to advance the game. And the thought of Beaumont and Laporte running the show is terrifying. I woukdnt let Laporte anywhere near the Vice Chairman role.

vCash
    The RA’s Business Manager is now on stress leave.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The back rooms deals already started....Pichot says no money honey.....Beaumont says here is da money....Pichot says....Argentina will give up rights to host 2027 RWC

30-15 to Pichot....Beaumont to serve.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    The back rooms deals already started....Pichot says no money honey.....Beaumont says here is da money....Pichot says....Argentina will give up rights to host 2027 RWC

30-15 to Pichot....Beaumont to serve.
    Pichot says Rapid Rugby is the future 40-15

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I would have thought that, for those that will actually have a vote in the matter, that scoreline would likely be the other way around...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    The RA’s Business Manager is now on stress leave.
    Is that Simon Rabbitt?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Is that Simon Rabbitt?
    Not sure it is the Chief Business Officer in Jessica Halloran’s article.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Fijis delegate rubbed out..40-30 - Pichot to serve for the match.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Fijis delegate rubbed out..40-30 - Pichot to serve for the match.
    Fiji are still voting for Beaumont.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast