Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Has GRR been cancelled this year?

vCash

Has GRR been cancelled this year?

Sad if true. Wayne Smiths latest article says that it was cancelled on Tuesday. GRR isnt a large comp and doesnt have a huge number of teams so Im struggling to see why it simply cannot be delayed to the end of the year...

Anyways if anyone knows more.

Article below

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Yup
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Western Force Family and Friends,

It’s been two weeks since my last update and, it’s fair to say, the sporting landscape has changed every day since. During these unprecedented times it is important that we keep our valued members and commercial partners as up to date as we can.

We understand that many of you have questions regarding what the rest of season 2020 holds for your Western Force. We are looking at all available options open to us to try and ensure that the Force continues to play in some capacity this year. The players remain motivated and we will do everything possible to provide rugby for our members, fans and sponsors to enjoy. If and when this can happen is uncertain and we will be guided by the Federal Government, WA Government and the relevant health authorities. The safety and security of our players, staff, members and stakeholders remains our top priority.

Once the outcomes for this year are clear, we will offer members and partners a range of options to consider around payments made for the 2020 season.

Immediately, it is with regret that we announce the previous Global Rapid Rugby Season One suspension has evolved into a complete cancellation. This is a 2020 decision only; we will now work with teams and stakeholders around future Global Rapid Rugby options. I hope you’ll agree that what the Force and the five other teams produced, in the one Rapid Rugby round we were able to play, points to an exciting future for the sport in the Asia Pacific region.

The Western Force office is currently closed and we are operating with reduced staff numbers, however the players have this week resumed limited training and we invite you to stay in touch via westernforce.com.au and @WesternForce on Social Media.

Thank you all again for your support and patience and we look forward to updating you again soon.

Stay safe,

Mark Evans
    CEO Global Rapid Rugby

vCash
    Wow, they were really trigger happy to pull the season considering most other conpetitions across the planet are continuing with suspensions. Its a bit embarassing really as I would have thought they easily would have the capacity to hold out. Instead the comp has been thrown in the too hard basket. I guess Mark Evans was lying when he said they would make every attempt possible to play the season. Then 2 weeks later he cancels it.

Oh well, it always seemed too good to be true.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    International travel will likely not be a thing until the end of the year if not next year.

Unfortunately it probably makes sense.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    A good decision, made well.

The safety of their players and staff is paramount.

The great thing about having a financially viable club and sponsor is that they do not have to resort to risky compromises to meet contractual obligations in order to remain liquid, that is the only reason any sports want to re start their seasons, it's got zero to do with entertainment, commitment to members, value for membership, it's all about the money.

I'm sure the 4,500 or so signed up Force members, or most of them anyway, have waiting patiently this long and have not wavered in their support for GRR and I expect they will still be there when we kick off again next year.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I see Andy has been kind enough to post the update from Mark Evans. Of course all paid up members were notified by e mail yesterday morning and I haven't seen a derogatory post yet. But I suppose it gives an opportunity for the usual suspects to criticise every decision that does not suit them personally. And further opportunity to demonstrate blind ignorance.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I'm not even a paid up member and I got the email.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    If the government's modelling is accurate, don't get too attached to the notion that there will be any rugby next year either. Especially any rugby that involves international travel (which might well even extend to travel between WA and the rest of Australia).

Last edited by AndyS; 08-04-20 at 15:59.

vCash
    and when it does re-start, it will be a 6:30pm friday night kick off i heard

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    cider my arse

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I'm not even a paid up member and I got the email.
    Common occurrence when mailing lists aren't updated regularly. Maybe only people who have not been members during the Minderoo era weren't notified.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    So if we dont know whats happening then surely its better off waiting to see. I guess its easier to take the easy option.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    So if we dont know whats happening then surely its better off waiting to see. I guess its easier to take the easy option.
    I guess the easy option is the version where the GRR organisers stick with the advice from the Federal and State governments?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Common occurrence when mailing lists aren't updated regularly. Maybe only people who have not been members during the Minderoo era weren't notified.
    There's an option to unsubscribe which I haven't taken. I'd wager they won't take me off the mailing list as it's probably considered a from of advertising.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I guess the easy option is the version where the GRR organisers stick with the advice from the Federal and State governments?
    Can you point me in the direction of where it asks for sports to cancel their tournaments. Can you let me know what SuperRugby/NRL/AFL are doing because it seems like they will all be up and running in some form. Also i heard Mike Hussey this morning say the T20 world cup was going to go ahead later this year. Seems like plenty of sports not prepared to raise the white flag just yet..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Can you point me in the direction of where it asks for sports to cancel their tournaments. Can you let me know what SuperRugby/NRL/AFL are doing because it seems like they will all be up and running in some form. Also i heard Mike Hussey this morning say the T20 world cup was going to go ahead later this year. Seems like plenty of sports not prepared to raise the white flag just yet..
    Super Rugby is done. SA, Arg and NZ have all got international travel restrictions.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast