Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Has GRR been cancelled this year?

vCash
    I haven't seen a reference anywhere that this comp is being seriously worked on, apart from some vague comments from Castle about "providing content" to "maintain our financial engagement with broadcasters" and other assorted gobbldeygook. Just enough fluff for journalists to pretty much make up stories on the run. There have been some rippers lately with everyone from SBW to Cooper, Folau and Savea apparently lining up to sign with NRL clubs for 2020. This despite the NRL operating under a salary cap, with almost all rosters already full and no bugger all money to pay existing players and staff.

Given the current financial position of broadcasters and their attitude to a "watered down" version of NRL 2020, I don't see them chucking hand stands about paying Super Rugby rights fees for some brain-fart domestic Rugby circus. But never say never I suppose.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Those bloody mungos will be put right back in their box too IMHO, the 2020 seasons are over, better to have one year screwed up than having a reconfigured 2020 screwing up 2021 and having two failed years.

I think we will really see who actually just loves "playing for the love of the game" and those who play it because the money is good. The one's that are ready to jump ship to follow the cash should be asked right now if they want to be released from their RA contract without penalty, call their bluff, cut the losses, cut the crap and move forward in the future with the players that are truly there for the game, regardless of remuneration. I have no issue with them being paid shitloads, as long as the sport can afford it, and clearly this has not be the recent case.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    What, you reckon go the whole claim asylum route...?
    Stop the boats!!

Ironic that the current government that was first elected in 2013 on the back of "Stop the boats" didn't stop the Ruby Princess.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    with Indonesian crews!

vCash
    Well said, TIF! Hear hear!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I haven't seen a reference anywhere that this comp is being seriously worked on, apart from some vague comments from Castle about "providing content" to "maintain our financial engagement with broadcasters" and other assorted gobbldeygook. Just enough fluff for journalists to pretty much make up stories on the run. There have been some rippers lately with everyone from SBW to Cooper, Folau and Savea apparently lining up to sign with NRL clubs for 2020. This despite the NRL operating under a salary cap, with almost all rosters already full and no bugger all money to pay existing players and staff.

Given the current financial position of broadcasters and their attitude to a "watered down" version of NRL 2020, I don't see them chucking hand stands about paying Super Rugby rights fees for some brain-fart domestic Rugby circus. But never say never I suppose.
    Rugby is in a slightly different position as we were several rounds into our season and are only a few rounds shy of content of the point where we would be able to draw the full payment of our broadcast deal. And there are from what was released by the Rebels at least 3 scenarios in the works depending on how things look in a couple of months. All three feature either an 8 week or 10 week domestic competition. Which would naturally involve the Force.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Rugby is in a slightly different position as we were several rounds into our season and are only a few rounds shy of content of the point where we would be able to draw the full payment of our broadcast deal. And there are from what was released by the Rebels at least 3 scenarios in the works depending on how things look in a couple of months. All three feature either an 8 week or 10 week domestic competition. Which would naturally involve the Force.
    Scenarios A, B, C via a blurry screenshot from Rebel3's post on GAGR, containing different mixings of:

1) SR (domestic) - 5 home/5 away + SF/F ... possibly 6 teams or 5+bye

2) NRC - 4 wks + F ... possibly using conferences if 7-8 teams? or cut to 5 teams ===OR=== 16-team Club Championship

3) various options for Tests/State of Origin/Possibles v Probables

Scenario C will essentially kill off NRC
    Attached Images Attached Images  

vCash
    I'm not privy to the contract details of SANZAAR's Super Rugby deal. But if I were the boss of the profusely bleeding Foxtel and was being asked to pay full freight for a lesser standard domestic competition I'd instruct the my CEO to tell 'em they're dreamin'. And I reckon I'm a bit more generous than Rupert.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I'm not privy to the contract details of SANZAAR's Super Rugby deal. But if I were the boss of the profusely bleeding Foxtel and was being asked to pay full freight for a lesser standard domestic competition I'd instruct the my CEO to tell 'em they're dreamin'. And I reckon I'm a bit more generous than Rupert.
    Higher rating if you look at Aus v Aus games when compared to the rest. And one that will involve the Force. Which at least in my opinion should mean they are entitled to a share of the proceeds.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I would hope they have insisted of a full 20% share of all revenue. The others teams might see it as a fundraiser benefit for RA, but don't see why the Force should...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    Scenarios A, B, C via a blurry screenshot from Rebel3's post on GAGR, containing different mixings of:

1) SR (domestic) - 5 home/5 away + SF/F ... possibly 6 teams or 5+bye

2) NRC - 4 wks + F ... possibly using conferences if 7-8 teams? or cut to 5 teams ===OR=== 16-team Club Championship

3) various options for Tests/State of Origin/Possibles v Probables

Scenario C will essentially kill off NRC
    The Rebels and their spreadsheets seriously.

I see the RA are hoping that Ireland will still tour in October. Wishful thinking. Finishing the Six Nations is a far bigger priority and is touted for that window.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Imagine if they pressured WA to cancel GRR so the Force could attend the new comp, only to then throw a big fuck you aka the Aliance agreement and tell them they are no longer welcome. I hope we havent been gullible enough to be burned again. We have alot of form with this. Our powers signing over the club aka. the Aliance agreement was the worst decision ever made for our club, and I still hate that administration for being stupid enough to trust the ARU/RA when they didnt do anything for us but shaft us historically with funding and every other decision. I felt GRR made amends, but to be fucked over again would be a really bitter pill to swallow.

vCash
    Higher rating if you look at Aus v Aus games when compared to the rest. And one that will involve the Force. Which at least in my opinion should mean they are entitled to a share of the proceeds.
    I thought that myth was debunked years ago.

Most prefer the international games between Aus and kiwi sides

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I would hope they have insisted of a full 20% share of all revenue. The others teams might see it as a fundraiser benefit for RA, but don't see why the Force should...
    History suggests we are gonna be fucked, hard. Against our will.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    I thought that myth was debunked years ago.

Most prefer the international games between Aus and kiwi sides
    No, the myth is the international games rate higher.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast