Thread: Why Western Force will get through unscathed after coronavirus shutdown

Champion
    vCash

Why Western Force will get through unscathed after coronavirus shutdown

Got past the firewall from a friend.
    All I can say is thank you Mr Forrest and FU RA and your mates.

Why Western Force will get through unscathed after coronavirus shutdown
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Wednesday, 1 April 2020 5:26PM

Western Force are the only rugby club likely to get through the coronavirus crisis unscathed — thanks to mining magnate Andrew Forrest who has invested millions in the side and Global Rapid Rugby.
    The irony is not lost on Forrest, who offered Rugby Australia $70 million to save the Force when they controversially axed the club and saved the loss-making Melbourne Rebels.
    Forrest went alone, resurrected the Force and created GRR but the competition had to be postponed after just one round of its debut season.
    Unsubstantiated reports claim Forrest is interested in buying Australia’s four Super Rugby clubs but they are loss-making organisations and it is understood such a move is not in his thinking.
    His priority will be GRR, those who stayed loyal or joined the Force and the other teams in the Asia-Pacific based competition.
    No Force or GRR staff or players have currently been stood down or asked to take pay cuts but some are on altered duties.
    RugbyWA has not made any cuts although some staff are on reduced working hours.
    RA’s Super Rugby clubs have all been forced into cutbacks as they try to survive the next three months of the coronavirus pandemic that is wreaking havoc on the sport.
    The Rebels were the last club to tell staff they would be stood down or be put on reduced duties.
    RA has stood down 75 per cent of its staff in an attempt to reduce losses, which could go as high as $120 million if Super Rugby does not resume this year and all Wallabies Tests are cancelled.
    Discussions between RA and the Rugby Union Players' Association on prospective pay cuts for Super Rugby players are continuing this week but they do not involve Western Force players who are affiliated members of the union.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Feel sorry for Deegan, Fines & other young guys that were suckered i to joining SR.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Why? They signed up for the boat they're in.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Feel sorry for Deegan, Fines & other young guys that were suckered i to joining SR.
    looking forward to your explanation on how they were suckered into joining SuperRugby.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    looking forward to your explanation on how they were suckered into joining SuperRugby.
    I believe they would have been happy to remain in GRR, but then you know the guys get pressure from managers & being told they need to to play SR & better career options yadayadyada. Deegan I believe only signed for 1 season with the Rebs, & speaking to him shortly before he left, he said he loved being at the Force, same I hear about Isaac. What game time has Isaac even had since joining the Brums, or Deegan at the Rebs, despite how well he’s played. Can’t blame them, they’re wanting to get better & get a chance at Wallabies consideration, but seems to me (like our other Force boys) they were sold a crock of shit. McDonald & Tizzano - same story, stuck behind in the food chain. And with the likely situation of no SR, it’s not a pleasant prospect to be in when they could be waiting on the Force to restart without the uncertainty.

Rookie
    vCash
    I believe they would have been happy to remain in GRR, but then you know the guys get pressure from managers & being told they need to to play SR & better career options yadayadyada. Deegan I believe only signed for 1 season with the Rebs, & speaking to him shortly before he left, he said he loved being at the Force, same I hear about Isaac. What game time has Isaac even had since joining the Brums, or Deegan at the Rebs, despite how well he’s played. Can’t blame them, they’re wanting to get better & get a chance at Wallabies consideration, but seems to me (like our other Force boys) they were sold a crock of shit. McDonald & Tizzano - same story, stuck behind in the food chain. And with the likely situation of no SR, it’s not a pleasant prospect to be in when they could be waiting on the Force to restart without the uncertainty.
    Players leave for a number of reasons and one of those is to play the highest level rugby they can , Super Rugby even its current state is a big step up from GRR

vCash
    While I question the use of the word big I do agree with the overall sentiment

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    They must have known they wouldn't be first choice players in the team's and would get very little game time. They were given a chance at the Force and took it but decided for what ever reasons to move on. The grass is always greener on the other side but now they might regret it. Im6 going to focus my support on the guys who showed loyalty and stayed with us

Senior Player
    vCash
    At the time of the contracts being offered for the Super clubs there was no guarantee of GRR going ahead so i do believe some of the lads signed with them to at least be guaranteed of a contract for this year! Unfortunately Covid has happened and well the rest is history.

Player
    vCash
    does the western force make a profit.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
    does the western force make a profit.
    The Force are clearly in a better financial position that ANY other rugby team in Australia or even NZ for that matter, possibly the world. Profit is not the key at the moment, sustainability and survival is. 100% of sweet FA is still sweet FA, and RA have even less than sweet FA and that is where all the $$$ for the SR franchises comes from. Even if the Force only made $1 it would still be $1 more than any others have made in recent history.

I bet you're delighted with your move back to the sporting capital of Australia, you must be spoiled for choice right now.

What bait are you try on your next lure, I'm starving.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!