Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 'Been sick for years': Wallabies great savages Rugby Australia 'train smash'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth Girl View Post
    Raelene Castle or Phil Kearns? I know which one I'd rather have! (If I had to!)
    Me too!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth Girl View Post
    Raelene Castle or Phil Kearns? I know which one I'd rather have! (If I had to!)
    I agree, nobody is the best choice

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    John Eales or another nobody?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    A..N..Other,Fulvio--the name Pally used to put on their team sheet,no?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    John Eales or another nobody?
    Eagles doesn't deserve that nickname any more, actually no person

C'mon the

vCash
    Andy Other was a very competent and useful player for Palmyra over the years. Very fit too, played several games every Saturday.

He died from the Corvid-19 virus about twenty years ago.

Ahead of his time, he was.

Not as good as that Neddies guy in the 70's and 80's though. He was a Kiwi as I recall, Irun Waru.

vCash
    Mark Latham’s tweets about Raelene are classic.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    I don't do Twitter, but if Latham is openly bagging Castle, she's done.

vCash

vCash
    if Latham is openly bagging Castle, she's done.
    Strange days indeed.

if Latham is openly bagging Castle, she's done.
    Is that better?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    i misread it,I thought he said banging

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    It looks the same to me, Shasta.

Or did gunny sneakily delete a post that he misread?

I can't believe some people have such evil minds, can you?

Must be a north of the river thing.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...-move/12122714
    "Rugby Australia insolvency imminent amid the coronavirus crisis as former Wallabies captains make a move"

Rugby Australia is headed for insolvency with serious questions raised over the management of the game by the board and its chief executive, Raelene Castle, according to one of the sport's most revered elders.

Former World Cup-winning captain, Nick Farr-Jones, has told The Ticket that with "ongoing concerns", the board must be wary of being "in breach of the Corporations Act".

"I wouldn't be surprised if an administrator was appointed in the next fortnight," he said.

It is understood that up to 15 former Wallabies captains have been discussing the future of rugby in Australia and are unified in their thinking that substantial change at the top is necessary.

Their discussions are ongoing and separate to RUPA's (Rugby Union Players' Association) frustrations with the governing body.

Incomplete financial records were finally shared with the players' association early on Saturday morning after being withheld by Rugby Australia for the past four weeks.

The financial information was delivered to RUPA along with a demand — that the 192 players come to terms with Rugby Australia by 5:00pm on Sunday otherwise decisions would be made without the players' agreement.

Adding to speculation that RA's chief executive may be shown the door, RUPA chief executive, Justin Harrison, hinted midweek that there was a move against the current administration.

"Look, we know that there are people who are willing and able to participate in a restructuring of the game itself," he told ABC NewsRadio.

"It is both reflective and forward-looking and ensuring that all of the stakeholders are involved in something that brings it back to a community-based, more encompassing model."

Harrison described the plans as a "pipeline of adventure" that would be considered once a player payment deal was struck for the duration of the coronavirus sporting hiatus.

"We'll need to entertain [that] once we get through what everyone's experiencing at the moment, which is extreme uncertainty and extreme adversity," he said.

While several former Wallabies captains were approached by The Ticket, only Farr-Jones agreed to speak publicly about the current state of the game.

"I understand reserves are minimal … there're no games happening, we have no broadcasting deal and I think sponsors would see rugby as very much on the nose at the moment — so they're the three areas where you get your income," he said.

"As soon as they [Rugby Australia] cut a deal with the players, one would expect there'd be a liability that will crystallise and if I was sitting on the board … I would really be looking at the going concern issues.

"If you have going concern issues, and you don't want to breach the Corporations Act, well then you go into what's known as VA, or voluntary administration."

He said the game had been in demise for several years with responsibility for poor judgment to be shared by the board and the chief executive.

"Absolutely I think there has been some very poor board decisions, I think that executively the game has been very poorly managed," Farr-Jones said.

"You look at the sponsorship situation, you look at bums on seats and the declining viewership on TV which of course leads to issues in relation to how you can sell your broadcasting rights.

"You look at the judgment of the chief executive and the board in not accepting the Fox broadcasting deal and whether that's left us in this very precarious situation — of course there's responsibility.

"And you look at the abysmal way that Rugby Australia handled the [Israel] Folau case and got bullied by senior sponsors into making a very stupid decision and then you later — a long time later — read the lack of communication between teammates and coaches."

Fox commentator and former Wallaby captain Phil Kearns has been named as a likely replacement for Castle, a suggestion Farr-Jones says he would support.

"I think you need someone to come in who is a trusted pair of hands, who knows the game inside out, who is trusted by broadcasters, by sponsors, by fans — someone who can at least shine a bit of light down the tunnel," he said.

Kearns applied for the chief executive position in 2017 which ultimately saw Castle appointed, an appointment Nick Farr-Jones said the board got wrong.

"I really believe that you have to have a deep knowledge of the game to take on the role of chief executive," he said.

"You have to understand intricately who the people are in World Rugby, intricately about the community game, and you can't be learning on the job.

"That was the mistake I think the board made, it was a very bad mistake, and Phil Kearns has got three and a half decades of being intricately involved in the game.

"He knows people, he's trusted by people, he's been in broadcasting for a long time and that is the most important thing — that Rugby Australia has to lock away a broadcasting deal — he would be great in securing sponsorship if he took over, and he'd be great with fans.

"We need bums on seats and we need the rusted-on rugby people who we've lost to come back to the game.

"It's going to take some tough decisions to get the culture of the game back, the rusted-on supporters back, and for people to have faith in the game."

RUPA and Rugby Australia are expected to meet at some stage on Sunday afternoon — essentially over the coronavirus pay deal — but with possible ramifications that will last well beyond the current pandemic.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Credit to NF-J in that, along with his halves partner, he has spoken like this consistently for a number of years now.

I liked his line in another article I read comparing RA's financial position to the hole in a donut.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I would like to know what NFJ's thoughts were re the axing of the Force..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast