Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne seals Bledisloe deal

vCash

Melbourne seals Bledisloe deal

Melbourne seals Bledisloe deal

Quote Originally Posted by ABC Sport
    Melbourne will host two Bledisloe Cup matches between the Wallabies and the All Blacks over the next four years.

The matches are part of a deal struck between the Victorian government and the Australian Rugby Union.

The deal includes four international Tests in total, and the development of a community rugby program.

State tourism minister John Pandazopolous said the Tests would be a welcome addition to Victoria's busy sporting calendar.

"The biggest game the MCG's ever had was the Australia-Greece soccer game," he said.

"It'd be great to see the Bledisloe game beat that record crowd and show Aussie Rules and the home of cricket that other sports are loved in Melbourne as well."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    They showed The sound of music in Melbourne instead of the Brisbane test live this year... Who do they think they're fooling.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    it was only a few days ago I was reading this

The ARU has today expressed its extreme disappointment with Channel Seven in Melbourne and Adelaide for their decision to broadcast this weekend’s Bledisloe Cup match at 12:05am.

ARU CEO and Managing Director Gary Flowers said the decision was robbing hundreds of thousands of Rugby fans of the chance to see the Wallabies take on the All Blacks in one of biggest sporting events of the year.

“The Bledisloe Cup is one of the most anticipated events on Australia’s sporting calendar, but Channel Seven in Melbourne and Adelaide have decided to broadcast the match at five minutes past midnight,” Flowers said.

“Instead of showing the match live, they are showing the umpteenth re-run of the Sound of Music.

“It is extremely disappointing for the ARU because we have worked very closely with the State Unions and the State Governments, and we have been very successful in growing the game in Victoria and South Australia.

“We have been taking annual Test matches to Melbourne for the past decade, and every year the appetite for the game grows. You only have to look at the world record crowd that was set for the Commonwealth Games Sevens to realise there is a hunger for Rugby in Melbourne.

“It is just unfortunate that our own free-to-air broadcaster does not have the same level of commitment to growing the game.

“This is extremely frustrating for fans who have every right to be angry with Channel Seven. It was disappointing enough that the match was originally scheduled for 10:30pm, but to push it to after midnight is insulting.

“I can only encourage Rugby fans to call Channel Seven in Melbourne and Adelaide and make their voice heard.

“We have a very good relationship with Channel Seven management and normally we would not speak out publicly against them. However, in this case, we could not let our disappointment go unspoken.”

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    So here, as punishment, have a f**king Bledisloe....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I suppose they would say it wasn't the Victorian governments choice to run the sound of music

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    I always blame the government.

I was telling Exile this morning, but now I'm not so sure, but shouldn't there be 2 Bledisloe matches in Australia next year? Or is it shortening again cos of the RWC?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Only two rounds again next year I believe Sage, then back to three in 2008.
    Apart from making it too long a series, I am not a big fan of having an uneven number of home and away fixtures as someone will always get the benefit.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I agree with Burgs - 2 matches per year, home & away.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Sorry, for me the more rugby the better. The Bledisloe you would think will rarely be decided in third match so with a second test in Australia every year except RWC years we may finally see a Bledisloe on this side of the country before to long.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    nah you won't see a bledisloe here - we might get a mandela plate match though!!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Wrong attitude Happy, thinking that way, we would never have got The Western Force.
    I don't know when, but I am sure a Bledisloe will be played in Perth....Shaunmarn may have hung up his boots by then but we will get one, eventually.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    no it isn't .. it is totally valid.

We got the Force because geographically (and I know all the other things) Perth was advantageous to all teams.

Melbourne gets a bledisloe because it means bugger all travelling for the teams to the west.

By that same reasoning, Perth could have a Mandela game as it is also inbetween the two nations. They can take one of the Wallaby vs Springbok games away from the eastern seaboard and play it here. The final game S.A. plays during their Aust/N.Z. tour.

I'd love to see a Bledisloe here, I don't think it will happen - I think we can have a Mandela game AND an international game between Aus and whoever is touring from the northern hemisphere.

Two games in perth without adding any to the schedule doesn't seem like too much to ask!

vCash
    finally sense you are talking, oh jovial one!!!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    It must be only a 2 series Bledisloe next year because of the RWC.

Traditionally it was a 3 test series. went down to 2 when the Tri-Nations was invented. 2 years ago they agreed to go back to 3 because everyone wanted to see more Bledisloes.

But then again I could be wrong

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Nah you're spot on. 2008 it'll go back to 3 tests and we'll get 2 NZ games in Aus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast