Thread: How Andrew ‘Twiggy’ Forrest’s new competition will change rugby forever

Champion
    vCash

How Andrew ‘Twiggy’ Forrest’s new competition will change rugby forever

Jad this sent to me from a paywall payer.
    Love the old farts bit.
    Well done Mr Taylor.
    Good to see The West finally coming on board

How Andrew ‘Twiggy’ Forrest’s new competition will change rugby forever

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Saturday, 7 March 2020 2:00AM

Global Rapid Rugby is set to challenge the sports old world order in the biggest shake-up since the game turned professional 25 years ago.
    It’s trailblazing, bold and brassy with razzmatazz and law changes designed to produce a faster, free-flowing, fan-friendly game.
    It’s likely to have the same effect on the Australian stripey blazer brigade as former England captain Will Carling did when he called the English establishment “57 old farts”.
    The old farts sacked Carling.
    Western Force owner Andrew Forrest with players Issak Fines, left and Jonah Placid. Credit: Nic Ellis/The West Australian
    No doubt there are some stuffed shirts that would like to see the back of mining magnate Andrew Forrest. But that won’t happen because of the fatal error made by Rugby Australia three years ago.
    RA snubbed Forrest when he offered the cash-strapped body $70 million to keep the Force alive after they decided to axe the club ahead of the Melbourne Rebels.
    Big mistake.
    Just as US millionaire Victor Kiam, former owner of the New England Patriots, famously said he liked Remington shavers so much that he bought the company, Forrest said he liked the Force so much that he bought them their own competition.
    He is unlikely to reveal what the project — with its million dollar prize pool — is costing but there are suggestions he is already investing more than $100 million to ensure GRR is a success — and couldn’t RA do with a few of those dollars right now?
    When asked in the early days about the cost, Forrest said: “Personal cost is time and energy but it’s hard to pronounce a cost. Whether it’s going to be a profit or a loss, I don’t know.”
    It has taken three years for GRR to gain a foothold, overcoming plenty of RA roadblocks, as it morphed from World Series Rugby in 2018 and the Showcase Series last year.
    And as Super Rugby loses its lustre, international governing body World Rugby is watching GRR with interest.
    WR has long wanted to boost its presence in the Asia-Pacific region. GRR and Forrest are doing that for them — free.
    Force legend and former captain Matt Hodgson, the emotional face of the team when it was axed, is now GRR’s head of rugby.
    His final game, on July 14 2017, was a momentous occasion.
    The Force smashed the Waratahs 40-10 at nib Stadium in their last Super Rugby match and in his 140th game for the club Hodgson scored a try and kicked his first penalty.
    What happened next sent a tsunami through Australian rugby as Forrest strode on to the pitch and told the players he would back them all the way in their battle for survival.
    Two months later Forrest ripped into RA with venom and Hodgson failed to hold back the tears when the final blow was landed and the NSW Supreme Court upheld RA’s decision to axe the Force.
    Those memories are still raw for Hodgson but he can smile now, proud of what “team Twiggy” has achieved.
    The Force will be joined by China Lions, a joint venture with New Zealand’s Bay Of Plenty union, Malaysia Valke, backed by the South African Currie Cup club Valke, Fijian Latui, Manuma Samoa and Hong Kong-based South China Tigers in the new competition.
    “I knew I’d always be involved in rugby but I had no idea what it would be,” Hodgson said.
    “To be able to forge a pathway for local talent and have an opportunity to do it across the islands and Asia is pretty special. I pinch myself some mornings. If I could have written a dream job it would be this.
    “It’s pretty exciting, pretty impressive from where we started in 2018 with seven exhibition games to launch a full tournament.
    “I never doubted we could do it but I actually didn’t think we’d be this far advanced.”
    Hodgson said the hardest part was meeting supporter expectation.
    “They want to know why we just didn’t go ahead full bore and that’s a fair question, but there’s a lot of boring behind-the-door stuff that takes time,” he said.
    “That’s something I learned going from the field to going behind a desk.
    “We are an unknown product, a brand new entity entering a world of tradition. There were difficult processes to go through.
    “We had to do it slowly, learning to navigate and build relationships as we went, and we’ll continue to build into the future.
    “There were red flags and roadblocks along the way but we came up with ways to adapt and get the show on the road.
    “We have a great relationship with World Rugby. We both want the same outcome.”
    Hodgson is happy with the spread of teams and their progress to self-sufficiency while still investigating new markets for next season.
    “We’ve got the mix right,” he said. “Financial support will continue for a limited time but we are trying to create a tournament where teams have a product they can sell themselves. We are educating them on how to grow the game. It’s going to be a long burn for some, but revenue will go back to them over time.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    I think Twiggy's name as a fair bit of pull with 7West and other media organisations. He has spend big with 7West in the past with adverts and I am sure they are expecting more.

Champion
    vCash
    To be fair Nick Taylor has always pushed our cause.
    If Twiggy is putting the pressure on even better.

vCash
    Nick Taylor is an absolute star. As you say, Wholetruth, he has always been rock solid behind us. And he did so much to get the story out about the way in which the Force were royally screwed by the ARU.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    To be fair Nick Taylor has always pushed our cause.
    If Twiggy is putting the pressure on even better.
    Nick Taylor does a great job for rugby in WA, but money talks when comes to getting column inches in the media.

Champion
    vCash
    Let the money talk and give us the column inches.
    I'm sure Nick Taylor can fill 'em!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I know Nick always tries to get exposure for rugby in The West, he always has an article/s to submit, but unfortunately he does not decide what is printed, so any lack of presence there, is certainly not any fault of Nicks

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    I did see Nick had a piece in the Sunday Slimes while I was having a cheapskate read at the deli but haven't seen anything online.

vCash
    Great article...
    Nick always seems to write up some great pieces.
    Too bad everything he writes these days is stuck behind a paywall. Which is a shame as it means no one gets to read them.

Was this article published in print? If not its a wasted opportunity to promote GRR unfortunately.

Ive gone off the west so I hardly see any of Nicks articles these days, which is frustrating as he promotes GRR and the Force really positively despite all the east coast negativity directed at the Force.

I do recall Nick Taylor winning an award for his journalism last year or so which is really good, but sucks due to his great articles constantly being stuck behind the stupid west paywall.

F%$k The West Australian news paper

Note: all their Gerard Ross articles are paywalled despite them claiming to be trying to solve that case, i mean seriously WTF The West, get your shit together. How will you solve somrthing barely anyone reads, i personally dont know of a single person with a West subscription to this day..

vCash
    The only reason people should be buying The West today is because they can't get their hands on any toilet paper.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    The only reason people should be buying The West today is because they can't get their hands on any toilet paper.
    Nailed it

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    back in the the day,when i worked in the packaging industry,you could tell how the paper's circulation was going by the amount of printing ink they ordered;i suggest ink sales are now way down.Back then you could use the paper for toilet paper-as long as you used the front page only,a different ink was used for the front and back page,contained more resin in the formulation,thus not coming off the paper,beware of using the inside pages though,lol
    A piece of useless information to keep Spartan happy!

vCash
    I worked on the presses at The Courier Mail in the 70's & The Manly Daily in the early 80's and we used the same ink on every page, so beware as you could end up with a black arse...

Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    back in the the day,when i worked in the packaging industry,you could tell how the paper's circulation was going by the amount of printing ink they ordered;i suggest ink sales are now way down.Back then you could use the paper for toilet paper-as long as you used the front page only,a different ink was used for the front and back page,contained more resin in the formulation,thus not coming off the paper,beware of using the inside pages though,lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    That's about as easy to find as The Ark of the Covenant.

But some more useful info for the bog roll deprived..... go buy an environmentally friendly and ultra hygienic "bum gun".

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David