Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Waratahs post lowest ever home crowd attendance

vCash

Waratahs post lowest ever home crowd attendance

no surprises here...

https://www.9news.com.au/national/sy...e-afa779a74146

The NSW Waratahs have set an unwanted piece of history by starting a Super Rugby season with successive losses for the first time, after crashing 32-12 to the Blues in Newcastle on Saturday.

The Blues scored five tries to two in front of 7491 hardy spectators at a wet McDonald Jones Stadium, with winger Mark Telea notching a second-half hat-trick for the visitors, who notched a fifth straight win over the Waratahs.

Despite the wet weather conditions in Newcastle, today's attendance of 7491 is officially the lowest home crowd for the Waratahs in their 25-year history.

The New Zealand side never trailed and were more clinical in the rainy conditions against a Waratahs side that made some critical errors, especially at the breakdown.

Compounding the Tahs misery exciting winger Mark Nawaqanitawase went off injured just after the hour, when he landed awkwardly after athletically diving over the line to score his second try in as many Super games.

The Blues were down to 14 men in the second half when influential No.8 Hoskins Sotutu was sin-binned for a high tackle on Waratahs centre Karmichael Hunt but had already banked enough points to win.

The Blues, who also first round losers, scored two tries in the first four minutes of the second half to take control after leading just 8-7 at the break.

A try to flanker Blake Gibson and a penalty to five-eighth Stephen Perofeta set up an 8-0 lead for the Blues but the Waratahs trimmed the deficit on the stroke of halftime when centre Lalakai Foketi smashed his way over.

The Waratahs momentum disappeared almost immediately after the break, with the Blues bolting to a 20-7 lead.

Joe Marchant crossed after good work from centre partner TJ Faiane and two minutes later Telea was first to a well-judged stab kick from Sotutu.

The Waratahs woes increased in the 49th minute when captain Rob Simmons opted for a scrum close to the Blues line after the home team were awarded a penalty.

The Blues pack then drove right through their opponents in a demoralising moment for the home team

Nawaqanitawase's try offered the Tahs a sliver of hope, but they lacked the composure to threaten the Blues before Telea crossed twice in the last three minutes to earn his side a bonus point.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    #FU ARU
    "May I assure you I have just begun to fight mate" Twiggy Forrest, 05/09/17

vCash
    I suspect about 5,000 of that 7,491 were expat Kiwis supporting the Blues.

Wonder what the viewing figures were for Fox.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Ratings should be out by Tuesday I think.

It's been a while since I've looked but I think the Fox ratings are just released as a Top 50.

I assume they may have a more comprehensive list somewhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I suspect about 5,000 of that 7,491 were expat Kiwis supporting the Blues.

Wonder what the viewing figures were for Fox.
    I'm surprised the attendance figures were released at all, on past performance. Which probably points to the real number being even more dire.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    The comment was made elsewhere that the Tah's average attendance of ~13,500 in 2019 was the highest of all Australian SR franchises.

This average arises from not publishing about 4 crowds which were obviously below that number.

Super Rugby and its band of complicit journalists are in total denial about the level of crowd support.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post

Super Rugby and its band of complicit journalists are in total denial

This effort from Geerob seems to promote RS's spin on the rights deal too. Don't know for sure how these things work. But does the fact that someone sends you an invite mean that you are necessarily interested? Even so, I hope Castle and Mattiske can pull a rabbit out of the hat somehow.......

As reported in the Herald's media section on Monday, Rugby Australia will this week send out non-disclosure agreements to Foxtel, Optus, Amazon, Rugby Pass and Australia's three commercial free-to-air networks.......That Foxtel is on that list gives the lie to five days of furious speculation that the majority News Corp-owned pay television provider has walked away from the game it helped champion for the past 25 years.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...09-p53z5u.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Ratings should be out by Tuesday I think.

It's been a while since I've looked but I think the Fox ratings are just released as a Top 50.

I assume they may have a more comprehensive list somewhere.
    Drew 61k on TV. As for the crowd. Hardly surprising considering it had been raining non-stop along the east coast here from Thursday until early this morning. The roof doesn't provide a lot of cover at McDonald Jones Stadium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Drew 61k on TV. As for the crowd. Hardly surprising considering it had been raining non-stop along the east coast here from Thursday until early this morning. The roof doesn't provide a lot of cover at McDonald Jones Stadium.
    Pretty average TV ratings given there isn't much else on.

Agreed on the crowd though, they've had about 40 bajillion mm of rain since Thursday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Pretty average TV ratings given there isn't much else on.

Agreed on the crowd though, they've had about 40 bajillion mm of rain since Thursday.
    A bajillion means 10?

(Sydney had 391 mm of rain over 4 days. Admittedly, some areas may have had more.)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    A bajillion means 10?

(Sydney had 391 mm of rain over 4 days. Admittedly, some areas may have had more.)
    Bloody climate change up to its tricks again or did just too many people pray for rain at Xmas....

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Bloody climate change up to its tricks again or did just too many people pray for rain at Xmas....
    Climate change is a giant hoax. All the experts agree - D.Trump, B.Joyce, R.Katter, P.Hanson and the member for Metro Manila. Case Closed.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    A bajillion means 10?

It has been a tad moist the last couple of days

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    It has been a tad moist the last couple of days
    Are we talking about the Weather, my jocks or both?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Snow here in Trondheim!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    Snow here in Trondheim!
    Make sure you catch a performance the Trondheim Hammer Dance. It's performed every 25 minutes so you should be right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast