Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fox Sports is set to walk away from rugby union

Senior Player
    vCash
    And, either way, the position of Rapid Rugby has it's positives!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    An interesting piece from Roy Masters. An independant opinion, as usual. The last bit is the big question for Optus/TPG/Vodafone etc....do they want to become a content producer? They have not gone down that road so far.

Much nicer photo of Mizz Castle than the ones in the Murdock Press too.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...18-p541xb.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    An interesting piece from Roy Masters. An independant opinion, as usual. The last bit is the big question for Optus/TPG/Vodafone etc....do they want to become a content producer? They have not gone down that road so far.

Much nicer photo of Mizz Castle than the ones in the Murdock Press too.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...18-p541xb.html
    Optus would like Fox Sports contract out content production . So becoming a content creator wouldn't be that big of a change.

Player
    vCash
    That is absolute bullshit according to the 9/Fairfax conglomerate. And Raelene Castle is the messiah who has saved the "grassroots".

The view from the Murdoch Empire? Raelene just is a naughty girl.

The view from Optus? Tell 'em all their dreamin.

News is what you have enough outlets to make it.

I think I'll wait for more legitimate sources than channelnews.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Optus would like Fox Sports contract out content production . So becoming a content creator wouldn't be that big of a change.
    Possibly. But that is still a new area for them to jump into. And a new cost to absorb.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Possibly. But that is still a new area for them to jump into. And a new cost to absorb.
    Why would optus need to when It’s all outsourced to companies like NEP. I thought that was common knowledge.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I think it is more that in this deal they would be expected to cover the cost if it (either directly or indirectly) whereas normally they just piggyback on the content generated by others.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I think it is more that in this deal they would be expected to cover the cost if it (either directly or indirectly) whereas normally they just piggyback on the content generated by others.
    True. But again these companies have entire production set ups that would do much of the grunt work. For the likes of Optus all they need to really do is pay them.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Agreed, it is not a technical issue, merely a cost. Their other deals for content would be seen as a bit of jam on top of someone else's deal, for this they would be seen as the anchor contract and expected to cover the costs stand alone.

vCash
    Latest piece from Pandaram in the Oz:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...3f1aaf62c9be93

Optus is favoured to become the new home of rugby, but the final deal could be disastrous for the code if the telco low-balls Rugby Australia as expected.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that three weeks after putting their broadcast package to the open market, RA has not had a single offer.

The lack of formal interest has forced them to extend their period for offers for another week.

Initially, all contract questions were to cease by next Wednesday, after which prospective buyers would have to table offers. Late on Thursday, it was confirmed this would be pushed back another week.

Current broadcast partners Fox Sports have not signed RA’s nondisclosure agreements and will not, leaving Optus as the lone digital option, despite Qatari network BeIN Sports and streaming service DAZN flouting interest.

It can also be revealed that Optus has begun talks with production companies, who they will need to film and package Super Rugby, club rugby and women’s rugby games, given they do not have the capabilities to do this in-house.

It’s estimated that these production costs will be around $10 million a year, and Optus will fold this into their offer to RA.

Knowing Fox Sports is no longer in the mix, having already had a $40 million-a-year offer rejected by RA late last year, insiders expect Optus to come in with a dramatically lower figure given the lack of options.

This would leave RA chief Raelene Castle in a major pickle.

Castle has already promised the states a larger percentage of the broadcast deal, however if the only offer received is much lower than expected, franchises will find it tougher to compete with foreign rivals.

Already, some inside club land are expressing frustration at the prolonged negotiation process because the salary cap for 2021 is unknown, meaning the make-up of their rosters is unclear at a time overseas clubs are targeting their stars.

All of the nominations for the RA chairman role and vacant board spots will be announced on Monday.

It’s now inevitable that the new chairman and board members will play an integral role in the outcome of the broadcast discussions, given they’ll be appointed at the annual general meeting on March 30, just a fortnight after any offers will be fielded.

The only interested free-to-air network for rugby rights, 10, is expected to offer $5 million a year for Wallabies Tests and one live Super Rugby match on Saturday nights.

The rest of the code’s broadcast money will need to come from a pay-TV or streaming network, but the underwhelming response since RA went to market has heightened fears the game is facing major losses.”

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Latest piece from Pandaram in the Oz:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...3f1aaf62c9be93

Optus is favoured to become the new home of rugby, but the final deal could be disastrous for the code if the telco low-balls Rugby Australia as expected.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that three weeks after putting their broadcast package to the open market, RA has not had a single offer.

The lack of formal interest has forced them to extend their period for offers for another week.

Initially, all contract questions were to cease by next Wednesday, after which prospective buyers would have to table offers. Late on Thursday, it was confirmed this would be pushed back another week.

Current broadcast partners Fox Sports have not signed RA’s nondisclosure agreements and will not, leaving Optus as the lone digital option, despite Qatari network BeIN Sports and streaming service DAZN flouting interest.

It can also be revealed that Optus has begun talks with production companies, who they will need to film and package Super Rugby, club rugby and women’s rugby games, given they do not have the capabilities to do this in-house.

It’s estimated that these production costs will be around $10 million a year, and Optus will fold this into their offer to RA.

Knowing Fox Sports is no longer in the mix, having already had a $40 million-a-year offer rejected by RA late last year, insiders expect Optus to come in with a dramatically lower figure given the lack of options.

This would leave RA chief Raelene Castle in a major pickle.

Castle has already promised the states a larger percentage of the broadcast deal, however if the only offer received is much lower than expected, franchises will find it tougher to compete with foreign rivals.

Already, some inside club land are expressing frustration at the prolonged negotiation process because the salary cap for 2021 is unknown, meaning the make-up of their rosters is unclear at a time overseas clubs are targeting their stars.

All of the nominations for the RA chairman role and vacant board spots will be announced on Monday.

It’s now inevitable that the new chairman and board members will play an integral role in the outcome of the broadcast discussions, given they’ll be appointed at the annual general meeting on March 30, just a fortnight after any offers will be fielded.

The only interested free-to-air network for rugby rights, 10, is expected to offer $5 million a year for Wallabies Tests and one live Super Rugby match on Saturday nights.

The rest of the code’s broadcast money will need to come from a pay-TV or streaming network, but the underwhelming response since RA went to market has heightened fears the game is facing major losses.”
    Extending it 1 more week is not a very good look. I guess the states reap what they sow for not ousting Clyne when they had their chances all these years back, now they are left with a rugby package that shuns one of their biggest markets in WA and supports a territory and a state that couldnt give two shits about the deal (sorry ACT but they are too small to influence the deal and Clynes team Melbourne are a complete basket case that care nothing for Rugby). Clyne, Pulver and now Raelene by being complicit in Clynes grand plan of shrinking Rugby into oblivion havr destroyed the sport and set it back decades. This is their legacy. I cant help but to laugh at the situation. Onwards and upwards for Global Rapid Rugby, thank god we left that stink behind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Extending it 1 more week is not a very good look. I guess the states reap what they sow for not ousting Clyne when they had their chances all these years back, now they are left with a rugby package that shuns one of their biggest markets in WA and supports a territory and a state that couldnt give two shits about the deal (sorry ACT but they are too small to influence the deal and Clynes team Melbourne are a complete basket case that care nothing for Rugby). Clyne, Pulver and now Raelene by being complicit in Clynes grand plan of shrinking Rugby into oblivion havr destroyed the sport and set it back decades. This is their legacy. I cant help but to laugh at the situation. Onwards and upwards for Global Rapid Rugby, thank god we left that stink behind.
    Interesting that G&G posted that the Brumbies will oppose Mortimer’s recommendation if Joe Roff is rejected in his application to join the board. The Brumbies want a say and they won’t have that if Herbert gets in ahead of Roff. If I was Twiggy, and Geoff Stooke I would push for Roff so the ex Channel Ten chief will get ahead of Mortimer.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Interesting that G&G posted that the Brumbies will oppose Mortimer’s recommendation if Joe Roff is rejected in his application to join the board. The Brumbies want a say and they won’t have that if Herbert gets in ahead of Roff. If I was Twiggy, and Geoff Stooke I would push for Roff so the ex Channel Ten chief will get ahead of Mortimer.
    You reckon the ex channel 10 guy is a better candidate? Elaborate..

Didnt Stooke want the current guy, Paul McLean, I assume he is definitely moving on then..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    You reckon the ex channel 10 guy is a better candidate? Elaborate..

Didnt Stooke want the current guy, Paul McLean, I assume he is definitely moving on then..
    The Channel 10 bloke turned around their profits at a time they were skint.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    The Channel 10 bloke turned around their profits at a time they were skint.
    Sounds like another Clyne, profits before the good of the game.

I see their is a massive backlash in the UK over 6nation rights. Apparently ITV and BBC are not allowed a joint bid, looks like Sky may take the rights, people predicting the beginning of the end for Rugby in the UK, sometimes profit over the good of the game isnt what is best for the game..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast