Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Western Force player poaching for Global Rapid Rugby ‘can’t be bad’, according to Sco

Champion
    vCash

Western Force player poaching for Global Rapid Rugby ‘can’t be bad’, according to Sco

Why am I not surprised by this

Western Force player poaching for Global Rapid Rugby ‘can’t be bad’, according to Scott Johnson
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Friday, 31 January 2020 4:44PM

Rugby Australia director of rugby Scott Johnson is happy to see Western Force players poached by Super Rugby clubs.
    Johnson said Global Rapid Rugby has an important role to play in Australian rugby and was not surprised how quickly the Force re-invented itself after being controversially axed ahead of the Melbourne Rebels.
    “At the moment there is not a place for the Force in Super Rugby, we are seeing players transferring into Super Rugby and it’s important that we keep relationships with them,” Johnson said.
    “The west has certainly got on the front foot.
    “Anything that encourages growth and is done properly can’t be bad for the sport.”
    Force players are eligible for the Wallabies but the club faces a challenge holding onto them.
    Six Force players were lost to Super clubs and overseas at the end of last GRR Showcase Series. The Rebels have two of them among 12 ex-Force players in their squad for today’s Super clash with the Sunwolves.
    Johnson was in Perth with former Force captain and Wallaby Nathan Sharpe for the announcement that Optus Stadium would host Wallabies Tests against the Springboks and All Blacks in the next two years.
    “It’s no secret that Australian rugby is going through a tough time and to see the Force creating their own ecosystem and building something that contributes to Australian ruby is a real positive,” Sharpe said.
    “The landscape is changing pretty quickly in Australia. The broadcast deal is up in the air.”
    GRR is the brainchild of mining magnate Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest, who was angered when RA axed axing the Force and rejected his $70 million offer to keep the club alive.
    The Force will play China Lions, Malaysian Valke, Fijian Latui, Manuma Samoa and Hong-King’s South China Tigers in the $1m GRR debut season that kicks off next month.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Let's hope they will be just as happy if GRR manages to find its feet and the flow reverses...

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Let's hope they will be just as happy if GRR manages to find its feet and the flow reverses...
    .......to a point that sees ambitious young players once again relocate to WA Premiership clubs in a bid to win a Force contract!!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    My take on Scott Johnson’s comments: ‘we (RA) aren’t going to do a thing to help you with the professional side of the game in WA but we are very eager to pick off the cream of the crop you are cultivating because that’s good for Australian rugby (and me as the Wallaby coach).’ ��

I love that we still have a pathway for WA kids to become professional rugby players. I also love that we, as fans, have a professional team to support. But what I hate is that the national governing body appears happy to stand by and let us do it all on our own (apart from the money it gives to support the HP coaching that goes into the Future Force Foundation, which is itself funded by WA people) and then just pick off what it wants when it wants.

I also hate that WA is now, in effect, a feeder for Victoria. The whole point of admitting Victoria into super rugby (apart from the personal financial and egotistical gain of a few men in Victoria and at the ARU) was to grow the game of rugby union in Victoria. It seems clear to me that what is actually happening is that they aren’t bothered about growing the game in Victoria anymore (it’s just too hard), so long as WA is continuing to produce quality players that they can take when we have got them to the right standard.

Hopefully, in time, GRR will grow to the point where young players are queuing up to join the Western Force more as a destination rather than a stepping stone for a place in an east coast professional franchise.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post

I also hate that WA is now, in effect, a feeder for Victoria.
    .......and see those players from a cohesive happy team turned into a culture deprived rabble. See they couldn't even hold out a cobbled together at the last minute Sunwolves today.
    Thinking of becoming a Sunwolf supporter for the season and watching their matches. Got a little kindred spirit feeling happening for them ATM.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I'm quite happy for the force to showcase the wares of young WA boys to higher paying contracts. That is one of the reasons the force exists and it worked for 6 players from last years squad.

Probably none of them would have received a contract but for the force

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    My take on Scott Johnson’s comments: ‘we (RA) aren’t going to do a thing to help you with the professional side of the game in WA but we are very eager to pick off the cream of the crop you are cultivating because that’s good for Australian rugby (and me as the Wallaby coach).’ ��

I love that we still have a pathway for WA kids to become professional rugby players. I also love that we, as fans, have a professional team to support. But what I hate is that the national governing body appears happy to stand by and let us do it all on our own (apart from the money it gives to support the HP coaching that goes into the Future Force Foundation, which is itself funded by WA people) and then just pick off what it wants when it wants.

I also hate that WA is now, in effect, a feeder for Victoria. The whole point of admitting Victoria into super rugby (apart from the personal financial and egotistical gain of a few men in Victoria and at the ARU) was to grow the game of rugby union in Victoria. It seems clear to me that what is actually happening is that they aren’t bothered about growing the game in Victoria anymore (it’s just too hard), so long as WA is continuing to produce quality players that they can take when we have got them to the right standard.

Hopefully, in time, GRR will grow to the point where young players are queuing up to join the Western Force more as a destination rather than a stepping stone for a place in an east coast professional franchise.
    Absolutely

👍

vCash
    Deegan must be appalled at the level of rugby the Rebels played against the Sunwolves. At least he was to be able to straighten the ship somewhat when he came on, but there seemed to be little or no game plan apart from”give the ball to Koriobete!”

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'm quite happy for the force to showcase the wares of young WA boys to higher paying contracts. That is one of the reasons the force exists and it worked for 6 players from last years squad.

Probably none of them would have received a contract but for the force
    Its hardly sustainable for the Force to keep losing 6 players a season to the Eastern States

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Why am I not surprised by this

Western Force player poaching for Global Rapid Rugby ‘can’t be bad’, according to Scott Johnson
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Friday, 31 January 2020 4:44PM

Rugby Australia director of rugby Scott Johnson is happy to see Western Force players poached by Super Rugby clubs.
    Johnson said Global Rapid Rugby has an important role to play in Australian rugby and was not surprised how quickly the Force re-invented itself after being controversially axed ahead of the Melbourne Rebels.
    “At the moment there is not a place for the Force in Super Rugby, we are seeing players transferring into Super Rugby and it’s important that we keep relationships with them,” Johnson said.
    “The west has certainly got on the front foot.
    “Anything that encourages growth and is done properly can’t be bad for the sport.”
    Force players are eligible for the Wallabies but the club faces a challenge holding onto them.
    Six Force players were lost to Super clubs and overseas at the end of last GRR Showcase Series. The Rebels have two of them among 12 ex-Force players in their squad for today’s Super clash with the Sunwolves.
    Johnson was in Perth with former Force captain and Wallaby Nathan Sharpe for the announcement that Optus Stadium would host Wallabies Tests against the Springboks and All Blacks in the next two years.
    “It’s no secret that Australian rugby is going through a tough time and to see the Force creating their own ecosystem and building something that contributes to Australian ruby is a real positive,” Sharpe said.
    “The landscape is changing pretty quickly in Australia. The broadcast deal is up in the air.”
    GRR is the brainchild of mining magnate Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest, who was angered when RA axed axing the Force and rejected his $70 million offer to keep the club alive.
    The Force will play China Lions, Malaysian Valke, Fijian Latui, Manuma Samoa and Hong-King’s South China Tigers in the $1m GRR debut season that kicks off next month.
    RA seems happy to have a one way relationship with WA in that they are happy to sign our players that the Force has brought up to scratch and they are happy to pocket 5 mill a year from the State Gov.to keep Eastern States rugby going a bit longer!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth Girl View Post
    Its hardly sustainable for the Force to keep losing 6 players a season to the Eastern States
    What do you mean? Are you saying that developing 6 players a year to the point where they can earn a higher paying contract and a genuine chance of representing their country isn't providing a good pathway or are you saying that yhe recruiting team that built a pretty handy entire team in 5 months can't find 6 replacements a year? Neither statement seems particularly well thought through to me, could you explain it?

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I kinda get what PG is saying. It might be a good pathway, but any team having to replace 6 of its best players every year is going to struggle...that is a lot of leadership and IP to be losing each time. No problem if that is the only reason for the team, if GRR really is just a shadow NRC, or even if RA were kicking in a bunch of cash for the service, but otherwise it is a little parasitic. That said, if the Force were specifically focusing on WA talent instead of paying to do what the ES systems have failed to...

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Not "if", but when the flow reverses at the highest level.

Right now we dont seem to have any problem recruiting young guys like Deegan and Fines to spend a couple of years with Force on a paid contract.
    As the other GRR teams take off in strength and build their squads, the Force and other GRR sides will have to pay bigger amounts to their stars to attract and keep them and remain top dogs in GRR. Bigger contracts that cash strapped Super sides and the RA wont be able to compete with. Then top players from Super and elsewhere will be banging on the doors of GRR sides.

vCash
    Just saw an interview Deegan gave after coming off the field following the loss to the Sunwolves. The interviewer was either from the Rebels or RA as it had the rugby.au logo at the bottom of the screen. Anyway, the interviewer asked him how he had found the step up from club rugby to super rugby. How bloody insulting. To Deegan as well as the Force!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Just saw an interview Deegan gave after coming off the field following the loss to the Sunwolves. The interviewer was either from the Rebels or RA as it had the rugby.au logo at the bottom of the screen. Anyway, the interviewer asked him how he had found the step up from club rugby to super rugby. How bloody insulting. To Deegan as well as the Force!!
    Yes, what a joke. Anyway I will be supporting the Sunwolves this year. What a dream if they could make the Super finals and then get booted out by stupid Sanzaar and join GRR.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast