Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Western Force player poaching for Global Rapid Rugby ‘can’t be bad’, according to Sco

vCash
    Personally, I don’t really care whether it’s super rugby standard. I just want a Western Australian professional rugby team to support; and thanks to Andrew Forrest and Matt Hodgson, that is exactly what we have.

That said, it really pisses me off that the east coast regard us as their buckshee satellite academy.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I remember years ago back in the UK when @@@@ a certain premiership club wanted one of our players who we had had since a colt and they gave the club quite a large “gift” through the back door!
    This was before 95 and I believe that after that when looking at our juniors we had clubs giving us cash donations to get them to transfer to their development squads.
    I can’t see why the same shouldn’t apply in GRR cases.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Personally, I don’t really care whether it’s super rugby standard. I just want a Western Australian professional rugby team to support; and thanks to Andrew Forrest and Matt Hodgson, that is exactly what we have.

That said, it really pisses me off that the east coast regard us as their buckshee satellite academy.
    I can certainly understand that Ali, and suspect a lot of folks are in the same boat. But if so, we can't complain if the Force is ignored by the Wallabies selectors. If it isn't SR standard, it will always be little more than a feeder club. Whether it is also a buckshee academy depends on how much money they want to spend on improving players from the ES.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    At the start of the Fox-Sports broadcast of the Brumbies v Reds game on the weekend, Super Rugby was referred to as the Best Provincial Rugby Competition in the world. Personally I don't think that statement is true. And hasn't been true in about 8-10 years. For the record - it was Greg Clark making the outlandish statement.
    Hi Exile

I don't think anyone in Greg Clark's position has the freedom to make a statement about Super Rugby which is negative - they all know which side of their toast has the honey.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I can certainly understand that Ali, and suspect a lot of folks are in the same boat. But if so, we can't complain if the Force is ignored by the Wallabies selectors. If it isn't SR standard, it will always be little more than a feeder club. Whether it is also a buckshee academy depends on how much money they want to spend on improving players from the ES.
    Yep, you’re right. That is indeed the trade off.

But I really do object to Victoria (there, I said it!) being able to sit back and not worry about doing anything much to develop its own club rugby players because they know we/GRR will do that job for them, for free.

Players will always come and go. I know that. But the ‘player drain’ situation for us at the moment seems more orchestrated than normal.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Indeed. Something like the soccer transfer payment would seem appropriate for our time and effort in identifying young talent and training them, but rugby doesn't seem to do this (although see Snob's post above!).

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Greg Clark trying time pump up the product he commentates on.

Colour me surprised.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    And wasn't it amazing when Cam Clark was announced as possible swap for whoever it was from the Rebels late last year and then decided on some other fan dangled cash deal instead. I bet Daddy wasn't happy and told RA in no uncertain terms either.

It was the swap for Maddocks https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/01/07/maddocks-swap

Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 05-02-20 at 21:58.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I don't think there's will be much poaching without a TV deal in place

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Maybe I"m idealistic but I want to support a club who"s players actually want to play for the club, I value loyalty. Yes I know that doesn't pay the bills! I am feeling disconnected with Rugby in general and the Force in particular at the moment.There needs to be some sort of agreement with Future Force players that they can't sign with another club without seeing what the Force would offer them first. RA must be delighted that someone else is paying for these young guys development. I realise that we have signed unwanted players that other Unions have developed and they have subsequently moved on again, it is the ones who have grown up here and developed here that I am concerned about. Meanwhile I thank the players who have stood by the Force over the years

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3