Poll: Should Australia also rest players?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 22 miss Super 14 start

vCash
    Hey,

"Through the All Blacks' rotation policy we have been playing other players and we didn't go to News in respect to that. We take the view it's not a dissimilar exercise."

News Ltd, clearly, disagrees."

A lot of the media reporting about the chopping and changing of the ABs side is so that Graham Henry and his coaching team have 2 class players in each position. If that actually worked as planned how many players would they want to protect before the WRC? 30? In a hypothetical situation does NZ rugby have that much depth that they could take 30 class players out of the S14 (maybe for half of it) and get good results on the park?
    I've downloaded some of the Air NZ cup games and some of those teams have some class players but I've also noticed that they field some foreigners as well, such as Ben Gollings, Peter Playford, so-and-so Boss , the Argentine FBack, probably a few more cos I havent seen all Air NZ cup games.
    Whats the gap of time between the end of the S14 and the WRC?
    cheers
    chook

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Months.

vCash
    Months eh? Well Not all the NZ teams can be in 1st place (in the S14) as much as they would like to! Seems to me that players will get rested anyway. Maybe thats whatthey werer aiming at, try for getting all the stars rested, do a bit of negotiation and meet some happy middle ground. Seems to be a bit of a dramatic way to go about it though.
    cheers
    chook

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Henry names players

Henry names players

September 12, 2006 - 6:28am
    Story by: Sportal

All Blacks coach Graham Henry has confirmed the 22 players who will take part in a conditioning program early next year that is aimed at looking after the welfare of the country's top rugby players.

"Many of our best athletes have played several years of continuous rugby without a chance to really get their bodies right," Henry said.

"The conditioning program is important for their well-being in the long term and also important to our chances of winning the World Cup."

Fourteen fowards and eight backs have been named for the program which will be run in time to allow Super 14 franchises to plan their campaigns and bring players into their squad while their All Blacks take part.

However, Henry noted that participation in the program did not guarantee any player a place in the World Cup squad.

"We have included 22 of our leading players in the conditioning program, but there are no guarantees," he said.

"There is a long way to go before we name the World Cup squad and a large group of players are pushing for selection. The door is definitely open."

He also emphasised that the group of players would not be added to in the event of injuries suffered during the current Air New Zealand Cup or on the end-of-year All Blacks tour.

The players selected for the conditioning program are:
    Forwards: Jerry Collins (Wellington), Jason Eaton (Taranaki), Carl Hayman (Otago), Andrew Hore (Taranaki), Chris Jack (Tasman), Richie McCaw (Canterbury), Chris Masoe (Wellington), Keven Mealamu (Auckland), Anton Oliver (Otago), Greg Somerville (Canterbury), Rodney So'oialo (Wellington), Reuben Thorne (Canterbury), Ali Williams (Auckland), Tony Woodcock (North Harbour).
    Backs: Dan Carter (Canterbury), Byron Kelleher (Waikato), Leon MacDonald (Canterbury), Aaron Mauger (Canterbury), Malili Muliaina (Waikato), Josevata Rokocoko (Auckland), Sitiveni Sivivatu (Waikato), Piri Weepu (Wellington)

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    crusaders might be a bit light on in the S14 next year then, lots of canterbury players in that list
    cheers
    chook

Gigsa made me do it

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    As I have said before I don't really care if they rest the entire All Black squad for Super 14s, but I'm not paying them $664 million for them to use their "best endeavours" to field their No1 teams. At least if they rest them they will have no excuses when they fail to bring Billy home......again!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Little rest for cup-bound Wallabies

Little rest for cup-bound Wallabies

September 12, 2006

AUSTRALIA players will be rested for just one match in next season's Super 14 under a model that's in stark contrast to New Zealand's drastic World Cup plans.

The Australian Rugby Union is confident it will announce the states-friendly model in the coming days once Queensland and NSW sign off on the deal.

ARU high-performance manager Pat Wilson said leading Australia players would be forced to miss a maximum of one game and it would be at the discretion of the provinces.

"The top nominated players will only be rested from one game on a rotational basis," Wilson said.

"Around that game we will be looking at some rest from training activity as well.

"And the states can nominate which game."

The move, in far cry to the NZRU's controversial decision to rest 22 players from the opening seven rounds of the Super 14, has the blessing of Western Force and ACT Brumbies.

Queensland appears the only stumbling block with NSW chief Fraser Neill supporting the concept despite asking for minor "tweaking".

Queensland coach Eddie Jones believes his regular Australia players - full back Chris Latham and front rowers Rodney Blake and Greg Holmes - should be available for all matches, particularly his young props.

"Guys want to play more rugby. One of the reasons we have this new eight-team competition is because we're saying the guys don't play enough rugby," former Australia coach Jones said.

"If you look at our squad, young props like Holmes and Blake need as many games and scrums as they can."

New Zealand bosses raised the ire of Super 14 broadcaster News Ltd by announcing an All Blacks squad of 14 forwards and eight backs who won't be available for their provinces until round eight.

Among the players are seven Crusaders, including Richie McCaw and Dan Carter, but the importance of the World Cup is such that Crusaders coach Robbie Deans has backed the move.

"We want the All Blacks to win the World Cup and the current management panel have deemed this to be the most effective way," Deans said. "We're happy to support them to that end."

Wilson said the Australian model would be put to News Ltd after the two-month consultation process ended.

Regular Wallabies will be barred from pre-season matches and have a reduced off-season workload with the Super 14 kicking off earlier on February 3.

Wilson said an injury lay-off would count as a week off while the high-performance unit could step in during the season if a player's load became too much.

"We anticipate there won't be too many problems but if we identify a player who may need to be looked at specifically we'll do that in consultation," he said.

AAP

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Sanity from ARU. Im on Eggies side re playing our forwards as much as possible, so they can learn.I can see a hell of a lot pain heading across the ditch shortly. All warranted by the way. Whats that choking noise i can hear?

vCash
    Sanity prevails with the ARU, great to hear. Watch this space as the Kiwis are forced to make similar arragements to appease News Ltd.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I would think the obvious method would be to rest players from both teams when you play another team from your own country? ie Crusaders v Hurricanes, Brumbies v Waratahs, Bulls v Stormers etc.
    That way the standard is actually kept even if not high and neither teams chances should suffer.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think its a pretty piss-poor effort trying to buy a World Cup victory. Maybe if you are ranked 8 or 9 you might want to bump up your chances a bit but I'd be seriously disappointed if Australia followed suit with any more than 3 players rested for long stretches. If the All Blacks take their 22 for 'conditioning' I'd bet a few hundred on them not winning the world cup (you act like a bitch, you get slapped like a bitch)

vCash
    I'm with you James. And your right about the Wallabies and rest, only one week off each at the Coaches option as reported elsewhere today.

Sparko is looking for someone to give away some money to, try him for that bet!

vCash
    NO NO NO NO NO Match fitness is what it's all about. If these guys don't play and then front up for the cup, they're more likely to injure themselves in the pool games and not be available anyway. Let the provinces look after their own players, they have enough invested in them to not want them out for an extended time anyway. The only time I'd be concerned is in finals matches when the no tomorrow rule applies. but try and stop the force from playing Gits and Sharpy then!

C'mon the

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3