Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Foxtel gets the shits with RA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsetal06 View Post
    Somewhere stated . Optus only want the rights to stick it to Telstra re subscription to mobile services . They don’t care about the sport or whether the rights make a loss .... good or bad ?
    No different to Foxtel wanting the rights to drive subscriptions.

Interesting that Raelene Castle said they would be going to tender "when the time is right" - The AFL and NRL announced their latest rights deals at least 2 years before they started.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Internet quality in this country needs to improve significantly before we can totally ditch TV and rely on streaming. IMO.
    That said, RA are desperate for revenue so will they forsake everything and just go with Optus because the money is better and they need every cent they can get their hands on?
    It’s all rather 11th hour for RA to be in this situation. But it’s a mess of their own making because of the way they have destroyed the product over the last decade or so.
    I ditched Foxtel a month ago after my contract expired and I got NBN in my street.
    We watch about 2 hours of free ABC and SBS streaming documentaries every night. So far streaming quality is great. No issues. Lots of the documentaries are the type of thing that I would have to pay extra to Foxtel, because they were in the History or National Geographic channels, which were not part of my bundle.
    I have not got Kayo yet and will wait until next season to see what GRR, NRC and Tests is on, where perhaps I dont have to pay at all. Certainly wont pay for Kayo to watch Super Rugby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    I have not got Kayo yet and will wait until next season to see what GRR, NRC and Tests is on, where perhaps I dont have to pay at all. Certainly wont pay for Kayo to watch Super Rugby.
    That's one other point re any deal with Optus; would they on-sell any content to FTA outside what's covered by anti-siphoning regulations? Given the focus is to drive subscriptions, I'd say doubtful. You could see an outcome where only home Tests are protected.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

Interesting that Raelene Castle said they would be going to tender "when the time is right" - The AFL and NRL announced their latest rights deals at least 2 years before they started.
    Exactly! They will have $millions to pay out in SR grants and Wallaby top ups alone from 1 Jan 2021 so I’d say we are well past the right time!

If they have nothing agreed by the end of their current financial year on 31 December, surely the Directors’ Report will need to flag the possibility of insolvency in 2021 if a sufficiently large deal is not signed in 2020??

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/8794733046

I am a big fan of KAYO - my internet speed is not a problem.

On a side topic there is a very strong rumor that NBN speeds will be increased in 2020 upto a GB/second.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Senior Player
    vCash

Rugby state chiefs in dark over TV rights rejection

By LEO SHANAHAN and STEVE JACKSON
    November 26, 2019

The heads of Australia’s state rugby unions have been blindsided by a decision by the game’s national body to reject a broadcast deal from Foxtel and instead open talks with Optus, describing the move as concerning.

As revealed by The Australian on Monday, Rugby Australia does not have a TV broadcast deal with any major provider after talks between RA and Foxtel broke down during a meeting in Japan following the World Cup. RA rejected Foxtel’s offer of about $20 million as an effective “rollover” agreement on the current arrangement.

The board is now in talks with Optus to show the Rugby Championship, Super Rugby and Wallabies tours even though the telco lacks a free-to-air TV broadcasting partner and paid $50m in 2018 for three years of the English Premier League rights.

RA chief executive Raelene Castle and chairman Cameron Clyne briefed the heads of state rugby representing Australian Super Rugby franchises the NSW Waratahs, ACT Brumbies, Queensland Reds and Melbourne Rebels at the “state of the nation” address last week.

Despite the hours-long briefing to the heads of state rugby by RA leadership, the state rugby bosses were not told of the failure of the Japan meeting and the decision to walk out on the Foxtel offer and begin negotiations with Optus.

The group “was not told any specifics of negotiations” and was told RA was still in negotiations “with both groups”. “That’s not the case and they’re talking to Optus. It’s very disappointing,” said one senior official who attended the briefing.

Senior officials on state rugby boards on Monday expressed dismay at the decision of Rugby Australia to decline Foxtel’s offer, wary about the game’s future under Optus, specifically citing fears about a lack of audience.

Concerns were also expressed as to why Optus would better the Foxtel bid if there were not competing bids for rugby rights.

Of particular concern are estimated losses for the franchises of $10m a year under a new Super Rugby home and away system.

Under the new structure beginning in 2021, Australian teams will have up to two fewer home games, resulting in an estimated revenue decline of 15 per cent, thought to be worth about $10m.

“We will suffer a major decline in revenue and someone needs to make that up or we go broke,” one insider said.

Industry executives warned any move away from traditional TV broadcasts would sound the death knell for rugby’s future as a top-tier sport in Australia and lead to an exodus of advertisers.

Qantas, the major sponsor of the Wallabies, said it was following the negotiations with interest but would not comment until a resolution was reached.

Former Nine and Seven boss David Leckie, who oversaw broadcast rights deals with both the NRL and AFL, said that the RA board overplayed its hand by demanding an “unrealistic” amount for the rights.

“I know a little bit about TV and if the rights go to Optus, it will kill the game,” he said. “If you’re an advertiser or sponsor, you’d be thinking, ‘Well, we don’t need to worry about rugby anymore’.”

Mr Leckie said the cost of covering Super Rugby outstripped ratings by so much it was no longer commercially viable for the free-to-air networks. “It’s too much of a loss-leader — and there’s zero interest in it,” he said.

“All the commercial networks care about are the Tests and, even then they only want the big ones.

“Meanwhile, you’ve got Foxtel giving them outstanding coverage of matches at all levels and doing a really wonderful job. Optus don’t have the platforms to match that, so a lot of people are going to be as pissed as hell if Rugby Australia stuffs that up.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...c57811de461426

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Insolvency is just around the corner if RA can’t afford the salary bill for next year.
    Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle. Picture: AP
    Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle. Picture: AP
    EXCLUSIVE
    By LEO SHANAHAN and STEVE JACKSON
    AN HOUR AGO NOVEMBER 26, 2019237 COMMENTS
    The heads of Australia’s state rugby unions have been blind*sided by a decision by the game’s national body to reject a broadcast deal from Foxtel and instead open talks with Optus, describing the move as concerning.

As revealed by The Australian on Monday, Rugby Australia does not have a TV broadcast deal with any major provider after talks between RA and Foxtel broke down during a meeting in Japan following the World Cup. RA rejected Foxtel’s offer of about $20 million as an effective “rollover” agreement on the current arrangement.

READ MORE: ‘Complete disaster’: David Leckie calls for Rugby Australia clear-out | Flick pass for rugby as Foxtel TV deal goes sour | ‘Neglect must end’ for rugby to thrive

READ NEXT

COMMENTARY
    CBA execs to be grilled again
    RICHARD GLUYAS
    The board is now in talks with Optus to show the Rugby Championship, Super Rugby and Wallabies tours even though the telco lacks a free-to-air TV broadcasting partner and paid $50m in 2018 for three years of the English Premier League rights.

RA chief executive Raelene Castle and chairman Cameron Clyne briefed the heads of state rugby representing Australian Super Rugby franchises the NSW Waratahs, ACT Brumbies, Queensland Reds and Melbourne Rebels at the “state of the nation” address last week.

Despite the hours-long briefing to the heads of state rugby by RA leadership, the state rugby bosses were not told of the failure of the Japan meeting and the decision to walk out on the Foxtel offer and begin negotiations with Optus.

Commercial networks are increasingly interested in Tests over Super Rugby. Picture: Getty Images
    Commercial networks are increasingly interested in Tests over Super Rugby. Picture: Getty Images
    The group “was not told any specifics of negotiations” and was told RA was still in negotiations “with both groups”. “That’s not the case and they’re talking to Optus. It’s very disappointing,” said one senior official who *attended the briefing.

Senior officials on state rugby boards on Monday expressed dismay at the decision of Rugby Australia to decline Foxtel’s offer, wary about the game’s future under Optus, specifically citing fears about a lack of audience.

Concerns were also expressed as to why Optus would better the Foxtel bid if there were not competing bids for rugby rights.

Of particular concern are estimated losses for the franchises of $10m a year under a new Super Rugby home and away system.

Under the new structure beginning in 2021, Australian teams will have up to two fewer home games, resulting in an estimated revenue decline of 15 per cent, thought to be worth about $10m.

“We will suffer a major decline in revenue and someone needs to make that up or we go broke,” one insider said.

David Leckie. Picture: AAP
    David Leckie. Picture: AAP
    Industry executives warned any move away from traditional TV broadcasts would sound the death knell for rugby’s future as a top-tier sport in Australia and lead to an exodus of advertisers.

Qantas, the major sponsor of the Wallabies, said it was following the negotiations with interest but would not comment until a resolution was reached.

Former Nine and Seven boss David Leckie, who oversaw broadcast rights deals with both the NRL and AFL, said that the RA board overplayed its hand by demanding an “unrealistic” amount for the rights.

“I know a little bit about TV and if the rights go to Optus, it will kill the game,” he said. “If you’re an advertiser or sponsor, you’d be thinking, ‘Well, we don’t need to worry about rugby anymore’.”

Mr Leckie said the cost of covering Super Rugby outstripped ratings by so much it was no longer commercially viable for the free-to-air networks. “It’s too much of a loss-leader — and there’s zero interest in it,” he said.

“All the commercial networks care about are the Tests and, even then they only want the big ones.

AAP1:46
    2020 Bledisloe Cup opener to be played in Melbourne at Marvel Stadium
    November 25, 2019. Rugby Australia Chief Executive, Raelene Castle announces that the Wallabies and Wallaroos will play a double-header at Marvel Stadium, Melbourne on Saturda...

“Meanwhile, you’ve got Foxtel giving them outstanding coverage of matches at all levels and doing a really wonderful job. Optus don’t have the platforms to match that, so a lot of people are going to be as pissed as hell if Rugby Australia stuffs that up.”

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    It's a wonder that Clyne has decided to stay and see out this mess, you would have thought this fiasco would have caused him to jump, but perhaps he just needs to stay to get the Optus deal done so when it comes crashing down around the neck of the new board he can say that he left it with plenty of $$$ and it's not his fault.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    "RA chief executive Raelene Castle and chairman Cameron Clyne briefed the heads of state rugby representing Australian Super Rugby franchises the NSW Waratahs, ACT Brumbies, Queensland Reds and Melbourne Rebels at the “state of the nation” address last week."

No mention of WA, the third biggest rugby state in this so called "state of the nation" address?

Did anybody from RugbyWA get an invite?

vCash
    Despite WA Rugby supporters being depicted as whingers who should get over it in the press and some on line forums, it seems a lot of our predictions are likely to be on the mark. Sadly.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Despite WA Rugby supporters being depicted as whingers who should get over it in the press and some on line forums, it seems a lot of our predictions are likely to be on the mark. Sadly.
    Geoff Parkes article comes with a health warning.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    "RA chief executive Raelene Castle and chairman Cameron Clyne briefed the heads of state rugby representing Australian Super Rugby franchises the NSW Waratahs, ACT Brumbies, Queensland Reds and Melbourne Rebels at the “state of the nation” address last week."

No mention of WA, the third biggest rugby state in this so called "state of the nation" address?

Queensland, NSW ACT and Victoria? THat is the entirety of Rugby in Australia, why would you give the country to the west a seat at the table?

I bet the RFU don't invite Wales to their discussions of all things relating to English Rugby.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    It's a wonder that Clyne has decided to stay and see out this mess, you would have thought this fiasco would have caused him to jump, but perhaps he just needs to stay to get the Optus deal done so when it comes crashing down around the neck of the new board he can say that he left it with plenty of $$$ and it's not his fault.
    I think he wants to ensure his friend, Tim North, gets onto the Board and that’s why he’s staying until the AGM. He controls the nominations process at the moment.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Dunno. You’d need to ask John Edwards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I don’t care what they think or say about us. We are sitting much prettier than them right now thanks to Andrew Forrest. I wouldn’t give a damn if their ships went down without a trace. They have brought it all on themselves.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast