Thread: Wallaby great calls for rugby ‘war cabinet’

vCash

Wallaby great calls for rugby ‘war cabinet’

Is this some action from the East at last?

Wallaby great calls for rugby ‘war cabinet’

Rugby Australia chairman Cameron Clyne is standing down

Respected former Wallaby Dick Marks is pushing for Cameron Clyne’s Rugby Australia board to be dissolved and a “war cabinet” set up to rescue the code.

Marks believes that only such a radical step can reshape the entire rugby landscape with the comprehensive review that is desperately needed.
    Australia’s former National Director of Coaching is staggered that Clyne is on the nominations committee to pick his own replacement now he has decided not to seek re-election as RA chairman in March. Marks suggested eliminating the nominations committee altogether.
    READ NEXT

Marks, 77, has taken the remarkable step of paying for an ad in today’s edition of The Australian calling for public support and ideas to ignite a #LetsFixAustralianRugby campaign.
    He said Clyne was part of the two biggest problems afflicting the code.
    Stream every match of the 2019/20 Gallagher Premiership Rugby Season Live & On-Demand on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >
    “We have declined over the last two decades because we have had the wrong people running the game,” said Marks when branding the demise of the Western Force a “fiasco.”
    Marks said the game’s “governing elite are in a state of denial” and the Wallabies’ early exit from the Rugby World Cup in Japan merely magnified a wider disillusionment.
    “Also, forget about copying New Zealand and getting their coaches, use our own template,” Marks said.
    Marks’s stance on Kiwi coaching input will put him further at odds with Clyne as New Zealander Dave Rennie is the hot favourite to become the Test coach.
    When Clyne announced on Monday that he would not be seeking re-election as chairman he outlined a busy four months which will put his fingerprints on all of rugby’s big decisions.
    “Over the next four months I, along with the rest of the board, remain committed to overseeing the delivery of a new broadcast deal, the appointment of a new Wallabies head coach and the conclusion of the legal matter involving Israel Folau,” Clyne said in a statement.
    Marks said a prominent former Wallaby was so dismayed at the state of the code they had set up a LetsFixAustralianRugby.com.au website to garner support and ideas.
    Marks said hardline action was now the only solution.
    “I would suspend the Constitution for 12 months and establish an interim (RA) board or a war cabinet, if you like, to conduct the comprehensive review of the entire rugby landscape,” Marks said.
    He advocated a subcommittee system be temporarily reconstituted in the technical, community rugby, financial and constitutional areas to shake-up the game’s health.
    New focus on elevating the coach education system was essential, Marks said.
    “My caller said, ‘What I want is something radical, revolutionary and rational instead of mere tinkering. Our weapon will be floods of urgings from the public’,” Marks said.
    The Courier-Mail

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Everyone......be like Dick

https://www.letsfixaustralianrugby.com.au/

This needs to get out there, before Cam & Co screw it up further. We're already now burdened with Dave Rennie, but there is a chance to make the changes he suggests for the greater good of rugby IMHO.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 20-11-19 at 11:50.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    I signed the petition. I would encourage every TWFer to read Dick's entire article and sign the petition.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The most encouraging things about that piece are that it is written from an honest desire for a betterment of the whole game from top to bottom; it recognises what a clusterf@ck SANZAAR has been; recognises the gross failure of stewardship that is the current dictatorial style of admin and the inequitable constitution which allows that; and last but not least that it recognises GRR as being an integral part of the way forward.

Like others of Mr Marks' ilk; Bob Dwyer, Andrew Slack, Alan Jones, Gordon Bray to name a few; his opinion can't be dismissed as the ramblings of a few wounded Sandgropers who refuse to get over it.

I also wonder if Geoff Stooke has had a hand in there somewhere. Fellows like Mr Stooke will need to have some influence on any new structure so history doesn't get to repeat.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Looking at subsequent news articles since this one it looks likely that the abovementioned linkage might be there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Looking at subsequent news articles since this one it looks likely that the abovementioned linkage might be there.
    Indeed, the below quote from an article about the appointment of the new Wallabies coach:

It was a classic Australian rugby scene. On the one hand, an administration forging ahead with yet another "rebuild" strategy and on the other a vocal group of respected but disenchanted malcontents fed up and pushing for change.
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...20-p53cfr.html

vCash
    Hehe. "Disenchanted malcontents" .

Nice redundancy there GRob.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David