Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies to face Ireland at SCG in 2020

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies to face Ireland at SCG in 2020

David Smith
    AAP
    November 1, 2019 6:14AM

Australia will play Ireland next year in the first rugby Test at the SCG in 34 years.

The Wallabies will take on the 2018 Six Nations champions in the second match of their scheduled series at the hallowed
    venue on July 11.

Australia have not competed in a Test match at the stadium since their 26-0 win over Argentina in July 1986.

With Allianz Stadium and ANZ Stadium undergoing renovations, Rugby Australia has opted for the SCG's 48,000-seat capacity in the hope of attracting a large crowd.

Australia last played Ireland there 40 years ago, with the only other battle between the two nations at the ground occurring 12 years earlier, in 1967.

"The Sydney Cricket Ground is one of the most iconic venues in Australian sport and has hosted some of the most famous Rugby Test matches ever played in this country," Rugby Australia Chief Executive, Raelene Castle said on Friday.

"Returning there in 2020 for the second Test against Ireland will be a nostalgic experience for those who watched Test matches there through the 60's, 70's and 80's and a chance to be part of history for the younger generation watching a Test at the SCG for the first time."

The first match of next year's series will take place on July 4th at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

Ireland won the series 2-1 last year.

Australia claimed the first match 18-9 at Suncorp but Ireland prevailed 26-21 at Melbourne's AAMI Park in the second Test to set up an intriguing decider.

Ireland then won 20-16 at Allianz Stadium to secure their first series success on Australian soil since 1979.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...t-ng-s-1976886

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player
    vCash
    "The Sydney Cricket Ground is one of the most iconic venues in Australian sport
    It is, Raelene ... for cricket. That's why 'Cricket Ground' is in the name.

Iconic for rugby? Not so much.

The only reason rugby gets played there is when there's nowhere else.

vCash
    Should have held it at Bankwest Stadium but I assume that:

1. That's too far for the Rugby types from the North Shore to travel
    2. Rugby Australia will be hoping for a large amount of Irish to attend the Test to fill the ground.

Senior Player
    vCash
    The Wallabies will play seven tests in Australia in 2020.

Date Who Where
    4 July Ireland Suncorp, Brisbane
    11 July Ireland SCG, Sydney
    TBA Fiji (?) TBA
    8 August New Zealand Marvel, Melbourne
    TBA South Africa TBA
    TBA Argentina TBA
    17 October New Zealand Suncorp, Brisbane

The ARU/RA may be chancing their arm in playing two Wallabies tests in Brisbane in the same year. In previous years when there have been two Wallabies tests held in Brisbane in the same year, between 45,000 and a full house (52,500) have shown up for one test but the second test sometimes is lucky to have just over half a house.
    (2019 Argentina 31599, 2018 Ireland 46273, 2018 South Africa 27849, 2017 Italy 21849, 2017 NZ 45000, 2016 England 48735, 2016 South Africa 30327, 2015 South Africa 37633, 2014 France 33718, 2014 NZ 45186, 2013 Lions 52499, 2013 South Africa 43715, 2012 Wales 43000, 2012 NZ ?).

It might also be stretching the friendship with Rugby Union supporters in Sydney to hold two tests in the same year at the SCG.

Which leads to a couple of questions from mates on the North Shore.

1. Two tests will be played in Brisbane, plus one in Sydney and one in Melbourne. Are there any hints or guesses at where the other 3 tests will be played?
    2. Apparently some of the denizens of the Moore Park bunker are warming to the idea of holding more Wallabies tests in Perth, following the success of the 2019 Bledisloe test at Optus Stadium and especially if there is another up-front payment of 5 million smackeroonies by the long suffering WA Taxpayers for the privilege of hosting a Wallabies test in Perth. Would the WA Government be stupid enough to hand over $5 million to the ARU/RA for another Wallabies test in Perth?

vCash
    "Would the WA Government be stupid enough to hand over $5 million to the ARU/RA for another Wallabies test in Perth?"

If it were another Bledisloe they probably would. But looking at what's still TBA, they would be insane to chip in a single razoo. ZA would likely see the Craypot at least half empty. Los Pumas or Fiji at HBF would probably go OK. But not worth paying to make it happen.

In any event there would likely still be plenty of resistance to contributing to the current RA administration if they have the audacity to dig in. And it looks that way ATM.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I think the government should tell them to go f*** themselves for a prepayment. If they want to roll the dice on coining it by filling Optus, good luck to them. If Melbourne wants to throw something back into the kitty they are pillaging, good luck to them. Otherwise, they should whistle.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The crowds were dismal this year and after the WC schmizzle I reckon they’ll be lucky to get 2 men and a dog(aussies that is) the crowd will as usual be made up of Irish & kiwis. RA -completely unable to learn anything. Agree, stuff em and let go further down the insolvency hole!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    That Fiji test will be played at BankWest Stadium.

Where the other two end up is anyone guess probably, I just hope our state government aren’t stupid enough to hand over cash to Rugby Australia to buy a Test.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    For a laugh, I reckon the Force should host those teams in Perth as a warm-up series instead.

Last edited by chibi; 03-11-19 at 04:07.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    It is, Raelene ... for cricket. That's why 'Cricket Ground' is in the name.

Iconic for rugby? Not so much.

The only reason rugby gets played there is when there's nowhere else.
    It actually does have a history for the likes of Rugby and League prior to the construction of the SFS.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    It actually does have a history for the likes of Rugby and League prior to the construction of the SFS.
    Lol. Do you think you are Moses bringing the Word down from on high?

Let me ask you something. Why do you think the Trust constructed the SFS?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    Sure does. This old fart can still clearly remember being there on two historic pretty days.....

One Famous, as the Mighty Bulldogs stopped 12 straight for this mob in the 1967 preliminary final.....
    Name:  1967 Dragons.jpg
Views: 2251
Size:  66.4 KB

And one infamous. Still vividly remember teachers trying in vain to stop half the senior school from leaving at lunchtime in my final year - and we weren't going to cheer the Waratahs against the Bokke.

Name:  SCG 2.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  42.3 KB

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash

Still doesn't change the fact that the code does have a history at the ground.

vCash

Well the Sydney Sports Ground was on that site before the SFS was built. The NSWRL didn’t have their own ground and Concord backfired on the NSWRU. Concord was supposed to be Australian Rugby’s answer to Lansdowne Rd, etc but instead it sent NSW broke and they were bailed out by the ARU.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Well the Sydney Sports Ground was on that site before the SFS was built.
    Not quite. The sportsground (which was originally a speedway before it was used for suburban RL) was turned into a carpark. The SFS was built on the former SCG No 2.

The NSWRL didn’t have their own ground
    No kidding. But the correct answer is that the SCG was shit for rectangular sports.

and Concord backfired on the NSWRU. Concord was supposed to be Australian Rugby’s answer to Lansdowne Rd, etc but instead it sent NSW broke and they were bailed out by the ARU.
    That didn't go belly up until after the SCG trust started the development and, indeed, after the SFS was opened.

In any event, the NSWRU was defrauded in the Concord development by their own executive director, Ken Elphick.

Nothing changes in the corrupt administration of Australian rugby, my friend. Up to three decades later rugby interests elsewhere were still being "surprised" when <ahem> financial irregularities involving property development resulted in millions of dollars transferring from the union to a third party.

Last edited by Kiap; 05-11-19 at 01:09.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast