Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Rugby 2019: England hit with fine over haka hi-jinks

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

World Cup Rugby 2019: England hit with fine over haka hi-jinks

PerthNow
    October 30, 2019 8:24AM

England has been fined and reprimanded for its V-formation response to the All Blacks haka in the lead up to their World Cup semi-final victory.

The team has reportedly been fined a four figure sum for breaching World Rugby regulations. Protocol dictates that teams must stay beyond the halfway line, but at least six players advanced beyond that point.

At the two tips of England’s V-shape Joe Marler, Billy Vunipola, Mark Wilson, Elliot Daly, Luke Cowan‑Dickie and Ben Youngs all appeared to be standing in the All Blacks’ half.

After the game Mako Vunipola admitted that “we knew it would rile them up” while the captain, Owen Farrell, who was captured smirking during the haka, said: “We wanted not to just stand there and let them come at us.”

Vunipola said it was more a matter of confusion rather than disrespect.

“[Joe Marler] said he got confused,” Mako Vunipola said.

“He thought he was supposed to go all the way around it and go to their 10. But because of that, he’s the one who has to pay the fine.

“He dishes it out a lot so the boys would be more than happy if he has to pay it.”

The governing body introduced cultural ritual protocols after France formed an arrow shape and advance on the All Blacks as they performed the haka.

It is unlikely the fine will bother England who went on to beat the All Blacks 19-7 and are due to take on the Springboks in the World Cup grand final on Saturday.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...ng-b881367322z

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    if it works consistently all teams will add it to their annual budget

C'mon the

vCash
    The NZ haka is less to do with culture and more to do with psychology these days.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Pathetic! Should be allowed to face it as you like. It’s not like they turned their backs they went forward and accepted the challenge.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Player
    vCash
    Should the Scots be allowed to use their traditional and culturally appropriate Braveheart response by baring their arses?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If this is a breach of "cultural ritual protocols" surely the All Blacks would have to stay their own side of halfway while the Wallabies sink a carton and talk shit over snaggers on a basrbie?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    I think almost everyone respects cultural traditions. But when this challenge morphs into new ones over time, sometimes at the whim of the players to include other cultures, and incorporating threatening gestures like throat slitting (no matter how that's explained away); is it still a cultural "tradition"? If it is, well fine. But getting all offended when another team changes their manner of accepting is a little precious.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I think almost everyone respects cultural traditions. But when this challenge morphs into new ones over time, sometimes at the whim of the players to include other cultures, and incorporating threatening gestures like throat slitting (no matter how that's explained away); is it still a cultural "tradition"? If it is, well fine. But getting all offended when another team changes their manner of accepting is a little precious.
    True Shasta - Ka Mate is a "traditional" challenge, Kapa o Pango was created in 2005 specifically for the All Blacks.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWA View Post
    Should the Scots be allowed to use their traditional and culturally appropriate Braveheart response by baring their arses?
    And who can forget the Wobblies attempt at cultural pre-match events with the crowd being serenaded by a walking guitarist belting out Waltzing Matilda?!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I reckon the poms should do a morris dance

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    And who can forget the Wobblies attempt at cultural pre-match events with the crowd being serenaded by a walking guitarist belting out Waltzing Matilda?!
    When Australia were on top of the world, oh so long ago, and the crowd belted out Waltzing Matilda, it was one of the best things I'd ever heard.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    I reckon the poms should do a morris dance
    Been saying that for years! Terrible I start giggling just thinking of it!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    When Australia were on top of the world, oh so long ago, and the crowd belted out Waltzing Matilda, it was one of the best things I'd ever heard.
    Too true.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    True Shasta - Ka Mate is a "traditional" challenge, Kapa o Pango was created in 2005 specifically for the All Blacks.
    Further to that, one kiwi journo wants to throw the baby out after 1 big loss. The included quote from Aaron Smuth gives an insight into what many people have always thought to be intent of the Haka in the players minds too.....“I was looking at the guy straight opposite me and that was Owen Farrell. He was giving me a few winks so I was trying to scare him as much as I could.” - as ridiculous as that sounds.

New Zealand Herald sports writer Chris Rattue has made a sensational call for the All Blacks to drop the haka after England was fined for its response in the World Cup semi-final.

In a piece that is sure to rattle the cage of many Kiwis, Rattue argued that rather than giving the All Blacks a mental edge it was actually hurting them, saying it stole their “initial focus and proper concentration of energy”.

The ceremonial dance, which originated from Maori culture, has been a trademark of New Zealand rugby since the All Blacks introduced the ritual in 1905. But Rattue indicated the modern game had moved past it.

“I would argue that in this age of highly professional analysis and preparation, the haka is a ridiculous way to prepare when emotions can be easily overcharged anyway,” Rattue wrote.

“The All Blacks go on to the field to win Test matches, not conduct de facto advertising campaigns or make cultural statements,” he added.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...ced6c5a1f5aa8b

vCash
    Wow, that quote from Smith. What he's talking about is not really sportsmanship, nor is it in the spirit of the game. And this coming from someone who was a fan of all of the traditional pre-match challenges; with the siva tau being my favourite. I do miss the days when we could just quickly line up and do the challenge, then get on with the game. I don't like that they've all developed (with the probable exception of the Fijian Cibi) into something too big before the match, too much ceremony, and too much preciousness around them. We even have a pre-challenge before the challenge, that the players have to stand there and wait through. Thankfully they've gotten rid of the throat-slitting from the New Zealand one, but even then, there's too much going on around the Kiwi, Samoan and Tongan challenges nowadays. And the idea of fining teams for a response is beyond ridiculous. I mean, there's even a political correctness movement in some sectors around it, saying that issuing a response is racist and disrespectful to Polynesian people; when that starts creeping in, it's gotten out of hand already. Case in point, the Irish fans were being chastised all over social media for singing "Fields of Athenry" during the pre-match challenge in the quarter-final. Give me strength.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast