Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SBW fields staggering $9 million offer from Toronto Wolfpack

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    ...Look at the Storm. 22 years of financial losses, only produced one local first grader in all that time. But the most consistent winning franchise for 2 decades...
    That's just infuriating as a Western Reds fan.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I don't know whether the owner has intentions to grow the junior base to supplement the roster. Doesn't matter if the owner can afford the expenses. Look at the Storm. 22 years of financial losses, only produced one local first grader in all that time. But the most consistent winning franchise for 2 decades. Time will tell.
    They've sponsored several Rugby Union events. But as of yet. No investment in anything locally when it actually comes to the sport they play.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    That's just infuriating as a Western Reds fan.
    Truer words were never spoken. Not that I hold a grudge. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    They've sponsored several Rugby Union events. But as of yet. No investment in anything locally when it actually comes to the sport they play.
    Which is important if you want a long term foothold. That’s what differentiates British sports from American equivalents. There is no draft to tell you where are you are going to play. In North America the farm teams are in other cities and/or states. Players go through colleges and get selected by pro teams on the other side of the country.

You can’t transplant a whole team in British sports with no under age structures to produce players then build a local connection. The Rebels are a good example. When they started players with connections to Victorian Rugby didn’t sign with them so they brought in outside players with a large foreign import quota. Elsom, Ioane, Horua, Leiliifano didn’t sign with them. Leiliifano had offers but didn’t sign with them so stuck with the Brumbies.

The Wolfpack might think the NA team model can work due to being based in Canada but due to the team existing in a UK league structure I can’t see it.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2