Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Geoff Stooke to lead discussion paper to overthrow the RA board and constitution

Champion
    vCash
    Hi Bakkies,

I was just re-reading some of the senate inquiry evidence and correspondence.

There is some wonderful stuff in our own thread right here on twf.com.au. Best source of info I could find on google.
    Thread: Terms of Reference for a Senate Inquiry into the Future of Rugby Union in Australia

In particular, I was looking for a submission made from somebody in NSW about the ARU board directors and how it was a closed shop. I cannot find it, but found the 2015 Friends of Sydney Uni list you published on here.
    Interesting list of names of like minded power brokers who control (or strangle) rugby in Australia. If Clyne goes, you have to bet the next chairman's name is on that list somewhere. Except David Vaux would not get up after giving evidence about the Clyne phone call.
    https://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=39343&page=134

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JSJ; 30-10-19 at 09:16.

vCash
    Maybe a repost/links of some of those Senate papers in various media sites might refresh people’s memories and remind everyone of the details that came to light,especially Clyne’s disgraceful behaviour at the inquiry.

Champion
    vCash
    I admire Stookie to bits, he is by far the most passionate, hardworking and dedicated Rugby Person in WA. BUT....unless NSW and QLD Rugby Communities, as a group, unite and drive the changes Rugby Union needs in this country, Stookie's efforts will struggle. During our struggle, even the Federal Minister for Sport - Greg Hunt - did nothing. Linda Reynolds's enquiry probed and opened up a bunch of suspect dealings, yet nothing of substance has come of it. Twiggy's $50 mil did not move them, Alan Jones has been relentless, so... we are stuck with these people.

vCash
    Rumours of your (online) death have been greatly exaggerated Hansie!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewM; 31-10-19 at 14:39.

Champion
    vCash
    Just saw this online. There was a smaller story in the paper today.
    Stooke a lot stronger in his views with Nick that with Wayne Smith.
    Good stuff

Former Rugby Australia director Geoff Stooke calls for sweeping changes to be made after Wallabies’ disastrous World Cup campaign

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Thursday, 31 October 2019 9:38AM

Former Rugby Australia director Geoff Stooke has called for sweeping changes to the governing body that would hand control to members.
    The push comes as pressure builds on RA chairman Cameron Clyne and chief executive Raelene Castle to resign in the wake of the Wallabies disastrous world cup campaign.
    Stooke, the only West Australian to be elected to the RA board, resigned in disgust when the Western Force was axed from Super Rugby two years ago.
    “It’s time for change. The general appetite within the rugby community right now is for change. Disenchanted members have said it has to happen,” Stooke said.
    “Voting members should not be afraid to stand up and challenge Rugby Australia. Personal relationships should be put aside for the good of the game.”
    Stooke said he has received huge support for a discussion paper sent to state unions, Super Rugby clubs and the Rugby Union Players Association.
    He has called for a special general meeting to overhaul the constitution, in particular scrapping the controversial nominations committee that holds the reins of power over board member elections.
    That committee is currently chaired by Clyne.
    Stooke said he was not positioning himself for another run at the board and pulled up short of criticising current directors.
    “I’m not going to get specific about board members. I’m saying the voting members have to decide who should be there,” he said.
    “People are not comfortable with the processes in place.
    “There is no soft way around it. The nominations committee has to go. You have to hand the power back to the voting members.”
    Three vacancies are likely to be needed to be filled at April’s annual general meeting.
    Stooke said the nominations committee was already looking for replacements and unless changes were made a future chairman could be parachuted onto the board.
    Currently, state and territory unions get one vote, those with more than 50,000 players (NSW and Qld) get a second, Super teams and RUPA also have one vote.
    Stooke supported the initial appointment of coach Michael Cheika but said providing a ‘band aid’ solution to the coaching structure following a series of poor team performances achieved little.
    "Placing a director of rugby above the Wallaby coach, after four years in the job, was disrespectful and it didn’t seem to work. In my view, the choice was to remove him or support him,” Stoke said.
    "Also, it is my view that coaches should not have an open cheque book and tenure must be tied to objectively evaluated performance."
    Stooke warned the financial problems facing RA will be compounded by the potential legal costs of Israel Folau's legal battle.
    "Looking at the current balance sheet of Rugby Australia and the financial risks, solvency could be an issue if the Folau case is lost," he said.

vCash
    Hansie good to see you post again. Wasn’t the so called independent nominations committee introduced by the credible NSW Labor hack Mark Arbib in his review? NSW Labor now that’s a highly reputable organisation right there. Uncle Cam was probably turned down as he couldn’t identify an Aldi shopping bag.

JSJ the link to the Inquiry is in my signature.

vCash
    When the chair of the nominations committee is also the chair of the board, I’d say the committee is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Much as I love what Stooke is doing, it’ll get nowhere. NSW and QLD will do a deal with RA behind closed doors; VIC and RA are blood brothers anyway so VIC will do nothing to unseat Clyne; and no-one else has enough pulling power to make any difference. Clyne will see out the remainder of his term and absolutely nothing will change.

This den of iniquity is as safe as houses.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    For what its worth - the East Coast Rugby ( I don't know the right word) Flock/public are collectively and vocally of the opinion that its time for a change of Rugby Australia Board.

There are big calls for an Independent Review.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    For what its worth - the East Coast Rugby ( I don't know the right word) Flock/public are collectively and vocally of the opinion that its time for a change of Rugby Australia Board. There are big calls for an Independent Review.
    Sorry to burst your bubble x but the public and the community have less than zero impact on the selection of any board members

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    no bubble burst here mate - well aware of that.

hope some of our readers realise it too

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble x but the public and the community have less than zero impact on the selection of any board members
    I think we should be positive that can get change and make some noise. The RA board is on the back foot right now and also want the government to fund hundreds of million for a World Cup bid.
    Time to ask the politicians to make the RA scrap the undemocratic closed shop nominations committee, if they want gov money for the WC bid.

Player
    vCash
    When you decide to do an insider review...... 1 . You’re not serious about the review or it’s results 2. There’s some fairly active skeletons in the closet that you don’t want let out ........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    When the chair of the nominations committee is also the chair of the board, I’d say the committee is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Much as I love what Stooke is doing, it’ll get nowhere. NSW and QLD will do a deal with RA behind closed doors; VIC and RA are blood brothers anyway so VIC will do nothing to unseat Clyne; and no-one else has enough pulling power to make any difference. Clyne will see out the remainder of his term and absolutely nothing will change.

This den of iniquity is as safe as houses.
    Qld have no time for the RA as well particularly over the crumbling Ballymore which the RA have done nothing to assist them in fixing. Instead the RA spent tens of millions on the Rebels, junkets and lawyers which people outside of WA are starting to realise. Ballymore is the only true asset that Rugby owns in this country and the RA have done nothing to utilise it. Old players are running their own player development camps there. They are sick of the RA neglecting it.

When the Rebels came to the Brumbies about a merger the Brumbies said to them how is it going to help us and why are you doing it as you have plenty of money.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Qld have no time for the RA as well particularly over the crumbling Ballymore which the RA have done nothing to assist them in fixing. Instead the RA spent tens of millions on the Rebels, junkets and lawyers which people outside of WA are starting to realise. Ballymore is the only true asset that Rugby owns in this country and the RA have done nothing to utilise it. Old players are running their own player development camps there. They are sick of the RA neglecting it.

When the Rebels came to the Brumbies about a merger the Brumbies said to them how is it going to help us and why are you doing it as you have plenty of money.
    I think it was QLD who scuppered the talk about a vote of no confidence before this year’s AGM. I’m afraid they - like NSW and VIC - are only in it for themselves.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Hansie good to see you post again. Wasn’t the so called independent nominations committee introduced by the credible NSW Labor hack Mark Arbib in his review? NSW Labor now that’s a highly reputable organisation right there. Uncle Cam was probably turned down as he couldn’t identify an Aldi shopping bag.

JSJ the link to the Inquiry is in my signature.
    Bakkies, similar to numerous Royal Commissions, no-one takes any notice of findings and recommendations.

Thanks for the welcome. Been hectic allowing business to get in the way of Rugby. Was at the GF up at Kingsway and super impressed with the show that Roo dogs put on. Have been chatting with AJ and PK over East, moves are afoot .....

My advice following our failure at the EGM called by RUPA was for a whole new "shadow" board to be created, a whole new Agenda and plan to make changes to the constitution. Circulate on a confidential basis to a few respected community rugby presidents ( say 3 in NSW and QLD, 2 in WA, ACT and VIC, one in SA and Tas) across Australia and once positive feedback has been gained - pull the trigger. Shadow board to include Stookie, Phil Waugh, plus Twiggy for Financial backing and - Joe Hockey - whom I understand is returning from USA - and would provide valuable Govt. Lobbying expertise.

Start the ball rolling on SANEXIT - get out of SANZAAR - either bring the FORCE back into Super Rugby or bring others into GRR.

Just look at the Stats - If a Comp was created that included 3 Japanese teams to replace Jaguares, Sunwolves and one Saffa team, build on Twiggy's teams in Singapore, Hong Kong and Fiji. Go to QANTAS and say " Are you going to stick with a comp that gets a couple hundred thousand viewers or a comp that will get 10's of millions???" If the Kiwis want to keep playing SA teams, let them fly over Australia each week and play around midnight time NZ time..and watch their ratings???

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast