Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Latu meets with integrity unit over drink-driving charge

  1. #1
    Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    West Leederville
    Dry July! Tong Master 141 Club Award TWF Contributor! TWF Competition Winner!

    Latu meets with integrity unit over drink-driving charge

    Yesterday at 9:00 PM Super Rugby
    by Emma Greenwood

    Waratahs hooker Tolu Latu met with NSW Rugby CEO Andrew Hore and Rugby Australia's integrity unit over a drink-driving charge.

    No punishment was handed down on Monday but Latu was interviewed by the integrity unit and also met with Rugby Union Players' Association representatives and Hore.

    With the Waratahs still reeling in the wake of the Israel Folau saga, the news of Latu's charge on Thursday night last week was only broken to them on Saturday afternoon by the Daily Telegraph newspaper.

    Latu was reportedly found "slumped" behind the wheel of a car on Thursday and charged with DUI after allegedly recording a blood alcohol reading of 0.135.

    The 26-year-old was dumped from the Wallabies training camp in Brisbane and sent home to Sydney for Monday's meeting in the wake of the charges, leaving his World Cup squad chances unclear.

    Reds hooker Alex Mafi was a surprise inclusion in the camp while Folau Fainga'a, Jordan Uelese and Tatafu Polota-Nau are other rakes in the mix for a spot in Japan.

    Waratahs coach Daryl Gibson and chief executive Hore confirmed they were unaware of the incident until contacted by the Daily Telegraph on Saturday afternoon, just hours before they played the Reds, and it is understood Latu did not inform Rugby Australia either.

    Latu was due to remain in Brisbane to attend the Wallabies' pre-World Cup camp but a Rugby Australia statement on Sunday said the 26-year-old had been sent back to Sydney.

    "Wallabies and Waratahs hooker Tolu Latu has today returned to Sydney and will not participate in the national training camp in Brisbane," the statement said.

    "Latu will meet with Rugby Australia’s Integrity Unit as well as New South Wales Rugby CEO Andrew Hore on Monday. The matter is still under investigation."

    Speaking on Saturday night, Hore would not say whether calls had been made to NSW police to confirm whether Latu had been charged and was facing court.

    "We were made aware today by the Telegraph around the incident and we've got to look into that and there'll be a process put in place to investigate the issue," Hore said.

    "I don't know the facts … and that's the point, we don't know the facts yet and we need to look into that.

    "At the moment, it was an article in a newspaper and we reacted."

    But Gibson was more forthcoming, saying it was disappointing he and Latu's teammates had not been informed until hours before the match.

    "I'm pretty disappointed to only learn of it so close to the game," Gibson said.

    "It's probably the disappointing aspect as a coach.

    "Having that information earlier, would have made a far better, considered decision.

    "But that's all stuff that was out of our control."

    With the team not having another hooking option in Brisbane, Latu was allowed to play, with Hore saying checks had been made with SANZAAR and Rugby Australia first.

    "We checked with SANZAAR and also Rugby Australia in and around the facts we did have and there was nothing that could clarify that it was a breach of (clause) 4.4 of the code of conduct," Hore said.

    "As far as we're aware, he's an innocent man until there's been a proper formal investigation."

    News of the incident broke in Sydney's Daily Telegraph on Saturday afternoon.

    But the reserve hooker was allowed to retain his place on the Waratahs' bench for their vital Super Rugby clash against the Reds and took the field in the 67th minute, going on to play a crucial part in the match when he helped NSW win a scrum against the feed late in the game to ensure victory.

    Gibson would not buy into whether Latu's key strike for the ball was in part to make up for letting the team down.
    "Possibly. I'm sure there's a number of things that he'll need to say to the team," Gibson said.

    Hore cautioned against trying to connect Latu's issue with Folau though.

    "You can't connect the two," he said.

    "The complexity of case A (Folau) was pretty full on, so you've got to take each hurdle as it comes."

    But he was thrilled for the players to get over the line in a close match after the difficulties of the past months.

    "That was guts out there tonight," Hore said.

    "To come off South Africa where they had two disappointing losses, it just says something about (how) those boys will play for Darryl and that means a hell of a lot.

    "We made mention the other day, by and large how much (the Folau saga) has galvanised a pretty good bunch of boys."

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

    Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

    Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

  2. #2
    Veteran valzc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Shenton Park
    Guess there's been a lot of 'disappointment'.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Similar Threads

  1. Carter 'sorry' for drink driving
    By The InnFORCEr in forum New Zealand
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-02-17, 08:22
  2. Unit for rent
    By Happy in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 20-02-13, 13:47
  3. Force player on drink drive charge
    By travelling_gerry in forum Cameron Shepherd
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 07-04-11, 18:01
  4. Ex-Wallaby faces drink-driving charge
    By The InnFORCEr in forum Public Bar
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24-11-07, 07:16
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 31-07-07, 18:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts