Thread: What the ruck? Kiwi ref’s bizarre low-five in Fiji try celebration against Wallabies

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

What the ruck? Kiwi ref’s bizarre low-five in Fiji try celebration against Wallabies

September 23, 2019 3:59AM

New Zealand referee Ben O’Keeffe committed the cardinal sin as an official during the Wallabies’ World Cup opening 39-21 victory over Fiji in Sapporo by giving a player a low five.

Immediately after Fiji went further ahead with their second try which took them to a 21-12 lead over the Wallabies, fullback Kini Murimurivalu walks back from beneath the goal posts and towards O’Keefe.

As the fullback gets closer to O’Keeffe, the New Zealand referee extends his right arm and reaches out for a low-five where the Fijian obliges.

Regardless of his intensions or the motivations behind the gesture, it just shouldn’t happen.

The gesture leaves O’Keeffe open to come under attack.

It also comes at a time when referees are under intense scrutiny when the stakes are at their highest at the World Cup.

Following the match Wallabies coach Michael Cheika questioned why his star back-rower David Pocock was blown off the park at the breakdown by O’Keeffe, who penalised him three times after fetching the ball.

“The stuff on the ground, I’m not quite sure what’s going on but the team of three were talking about David Pocock from the first minute of the game,” Cheika said.

“I’m not sure what (Pocock’s) done but there was some severe focus on him.

“I heard his name mentioned between them on the commentary at least half a dozen times in their own chat when he hadn’t even been involved in the ruck.”

On Sunday evening, too, Wallabies winger Reece Hodge was cited for a “dangerous tackle” on Fiji flanker Peceli Yato.

The incident saw Yato concussed and ultimately play no further part in the match.

But the incident has divided the rugby community over whether or not Hodge used arms in the tackle.

Wallabies legend Phil Kearns savaged World Rugby for their citing of Hodge — accusing the governing body of being influenced by the media reaction.

“It is the biggest load of tripe that we have seen in world rugby for a long time,” Kearns said on Fox Sports.

“That is just rubbish that has been brought on by the press, there’s no doubt about it.

“Reece didn’t have time to get his arms up properly.

“He was trying, you can actually see it in the action, and look who gets poleaxed more than anyone — Reece Hodge.

“That’s embarrassing for World Rugby that they’d even consider that.

“We just saw an incident in the Ireland-Scotland game — the Irish bloke at the end of the game nearly ripped the head off the Scottish guy and not a word.”

World Rugby said Hodge will attend a disciplinary hearing in Tokyo on a date to be decided.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...80686a8cb21fa0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    That's it! No more Kiwi refs in Australia games!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    It's a cover up. Maskirovska.

The ref handed the tier 1 nation the win against spirited minnows with the yellow card when things were dire. Result two forwards tries and mission accomplished. NZ $A Au$ and Blighty in the $emi$ = profit$

Last edited by sittingbison; 26-09-19 at 13:23.
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Player
    vCash
    How about Japan $$$$$ !