Thread: Kearns to lead 2027 World Cup bid team

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Kearns to lead 2027 World Cup bid team

TODAY AT 7:15 AM RUGBY WORLD CUP
    by Beth Newman

Former Wallaby Phil Kearns is set to lead Rugby Australia's bid for the 2027 Rugby World Cup.

Kearns has been appointed executive director of the bid act as a link between the previously announced World Cup bid advisory board and the World Rugby member unions as the organisation pushes forward with its plans for a bid.

Starting on September 7, Kearns will answer into chairman Hamish McLennan and advisory board chairman Sir Rod Eddington.

The former Test hooker on two World Cups as a player and has gone onto have a successful corporate career with roles as CEO of Centric Wealth, managing director at InterRISK Australia and a director of a number of organisations.

Kearns has also previously been linked to the Rugby Australia CEO position, going deep into the appointment process before Raelene Castle took over the role in 2017.

McLennan said Kearns would play a vital role in Australia's work in putting together the 2027 bid.

“Phil has an impeccable international reputation both in the corporate sector and with his network of contacts throughout the rugby world," he said.

“Phil will be front and centre of Rugby World Cup bid team and will lead our international relations to put Rugby Australia in the strongest possible position to win the right to host the 2027 showpiece.

“As part of his role, Phil will be spend time overseas to be a key contact with the World Rugby Member Unions, to showcase our bid and to highlight why we would be a tremendous host in 2027."

Rugby World Cup 2027 Bid Advisory Board Chairman, Sir Rod Eddington said Kearns' experience in the game would be "instrumental" for the bid.

“I’m really pleased to welcome Phil to the bid team and know his experience will prove invaluable as we prepare over the coming months," he said.

“Phil has proven himself to be a high profile rugby leader and coupled with his history in game, will be instrumental for Rugby Australia’s bid."

Kearns said he was looking forward to the opportunity to help the organisation win the rights to host the tournament.

“I’m very proud to accept the role and want to thank Hamish and Sir Rod for their consideration as we prepare our bid to host the Rugby World Cup in Australia in 2027.

“I know what it takes to win a World Cup on the field in Wallaby Gold and now I’m enormously excited to put in the work to win the right to host a World Cup here in Australia.

“The World Cup in 2027 would be transformational for the game in this country. The financial windfall it would bring would spark the Australian economy as we rebuild from the impact of COVID-19 and then gives us the opportunity to invest back into the grassroots of the game."

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/0...utive-director

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    How are they going to get all 144 games into one stadium over six weeks in Sydney?

May the FORCE be with you!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Does this mean Kearns is taken off TV commentary?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham105 View Post
    Does this mean Kearns is taken off TV commentary?
    Doubt it

vCash
    Considering Australia is going up against Russia for the 2027 World Cup, better get Kearns' obituary dusted off and updated.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Considering Australia is going up against Russia for the 2027 World Cup, better get Kearns' obituary dusted off and updated.
    Kearns, Phillip 27/6/1967-12/8/2020, Phillip was a highly respected rugby player, administrator and commentator by Randwick Rugby Club and NSWRU, not really anywhere else. Phillips major achievements include being picked from Randwick reserves to the Wallabies and winning the World Cup, abusing refs on live television for reasonably penalising Waratahs players, providing invaluable assistance to Michael Hooper's elevation and tenure as Wallaby Captain and stuffing up rugby in any jurisdiction outside the greater Sydney region. Phillip has left a deep mark on Australian rugby which will not be able to be erased for generations.

Suffocated silently in his sleep by an Oligarch, Phillip is survived by wife Julie and some kids

Anything else required?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Kearns rules out tilt at Rugby AU CEO job, prepares to lead World Cup bid

YESTERDAY AT 1:21 PM RUGBY WORLD CUP
    by Beth Newman

Former Wallaby Phil Kearns has all but ruled out another tilt at Rugby Australia's top job after being appointed to lead the organisation's 2027 World Cup bid.

Kearns was on Wednesday announced as executive director of Rugby Australia's World Cup bid advisory board, effectively leading the bid for the 2027 World Cup.

The two-time World Cup winner has been in the mix for the Rugby AU CEO role before, finishing second to Raelene Castle in 2017, and there has been speculation he has aspired to that role in the future.

Asked what this new appointment meant for his aspirations, Kearns was frank.

"I think this will put paid to that aspiration," he said.

"I think there's a couple of really big roles in Australian rugby at the moment, this is certainly one of them.

"I guess one of the things that swayed me is just the importance of this in terms of the future financial health of our game.

"If you look at the numbers the last few World Cups, in Japan generated 7.5 million worth of economic value for Japan and when we'll be coming out of doubts and COVID, this could be a very critical boost to our economy right around the country. So, I think that's important from that perspective but also from a junior rugby perspective I think it's critical to have our game underpinned with a great financial future.

"That was really the critical piece to me, the importance of it."

Current interim CEO Rob Clarke is set to finish in his role in December and the search is underway for a long-term replacement,

Kearns said he hoped the next CEO would be someone "steeped in rugby" and preferably Australian.

"A person that is steeped in rugby," he said.

"It doesn't need to be a Wallaby by any stretch of the imagination, but it needs to be someone that has played the game for a long time that knows - we all know, you write about it every day, the politics involved in he game so you need to know who the parties are and how to get things done.

"You need someone who can connect with the grassroots and with the volunteers and junior administrators and subbies administrators and the club administrators around the country.

"It's those places that keep our game alive and to have someone that can engage with those people is really important. So, someone that's steeped in rugby, I think is the critical part of it. Preferably, an Australian, we've all talked about how we've had some kiwis in the past but it'd be great to have an Australian in there and great to have someone steeped in that rugby background.

Kearns was among a group of 10 Wallabies captains agitating for leadership change earlier this year, meeting with then chairman Paul McLean about their gripes.

The period of turmoil that Rugby Australia underwent in the early part of 2020 ultimately culminated in Castle's resignation in April.

Rugby's politics have always been a tricky beast to manoeuvre but Kearns said he had confidence there was more unity in the game moving forward.

"I think everyone put the game's interests first, that's certainly what the captains tried to do and it's certainly what the public wants to see," he said.

"The way you develop trust in an organisation is delivering on what you say you're going to do and Hamish (chairman Hamish McLennan) and Rugby Australia over the past six or eight weeks have talked about is giving back to the grassroots and the grassroots will support you if you deliver to them.

"The indication is that it's heading that way and that's why there's a sense of confidence there and it's always what the captains of the Wallabies want, to act in the best interests of the game and we've said that to Hamish and he's got our 100 per cent support."

After retiring from rugby, Kearns has worked in the corporate world and said he felt he could bring expertise to this newly-created role.

"Over the least eight years, I've run two different organisations - one in the insurance world and one in the fin planning world. Before that I was in the investment banking world and started a business unit within Investec bank, a great sponsor of the game around the world," he said.

"So, the key to the success of those roles has been around building a team and getting a team working together so to be able to build a World Cup team in Australian rugby and also combine the knowledge of that board, I think that's a really important skill in trying to get this done.

"The other thing I hopefully bring is a wide array of contacts that can help us along that journey."

Australia is currently the front runner to host the 2027 World Cup but no other nations have officially announced plans to bid aside from Russia.

The USA has also been considered a contender while Kearns also said on Wednesday that the UK could be contemplating a bid as well.

While World Rugby has not formally announced an amended timeline for the bid process, it is expected the formal applications will open in February 2021 and the host will be announced in May 2022.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/0...rns-ceo-update

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Kearns said he hoped the next CEO would be someone "steeped in rugby" and preferably Australian.......It doesn't need to be a Wallaby by any stretch of the imagination, but it needs to be someone that has played the game for a long time that knows - we all know, you write about it every day, the politics involved in he game so you need to know who the parties are and how to get things done.

Someone like Geoff Stooke or John Welborne ferinstance?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Kearns rules out tilt at Rugby AU CEO job, prepares to lead World Cup bid

YESTERDAY AT 1:21 PM RUGBY WORLD CUP
    by Beth Newman

Former Wallaby Phil Kearns has all but ruled out another tilt at Rugby Australia's top job after being appointed to lead the organisation's 2027 World Cup bid.

Kearns was on Wednesday announced as executive director of Rugby Australia's World Cup bid advisory board, effectively leading the bid for the 2027 World Cup.

The two-time World Cup winner has been in the mix for the Rugby AU CEO role before, finishing second to Raelene Castle in 2017, and there has been speculation he has aspired to that role in the future.

Asked what this new appointment meant for his aspirations, Kearns was frank.

"I think this will put paid to that aspiration," he said.

"I think there's a couple of really big roles in Australian rugby at the moment, this is certainly one of them.

"I guess one of the things that swayed me is just the importance of this in terms of the future financial health of our game.

"If you look at the numbers the last few World Cups, in Japan generated 7.5 million worth of economic value for Japan and when we'll be coming out of doubts and COVID, this could be a very critical boost to our economy right around the country. So, I think that's important from that perspective but also from a junior rugby perspective I think it's critical to have our game underpinned with a great financial future.

"That was really the critical piece to me, the importance of it."

Current interim CEO Rob Clarke is set to finish in his role in December and the search is underway for a long-term replacement,

Kearns said he hoped the next CEO would be someone "steeped in rugby" and preferably Australian.

"A person that is steeped in rugby," he said.

"It doesn't need to be a Wallaby by any stretch of the imagination, but it needs to be someone that has played the game for a long time that knows - we all know, you write about it every day, the politics involved in he game so you need to know who the parties are and how to get things done.

"You need someone who can connect with the grassroots and with the volunteers and junior administrators and subbies administrators and the club administrators around the country.

"It's those places that keep our game alive and to have someone that can engage with those people is really important. So, someone that's steeped in rugby, I think is the critical part of it. Preferably, an Australian, we've all talked about how we've had some kiwis in the past but it'd be great to have an Australian in there and great to have someone steeped in that rugby background.

Kearns was among a group of 10 Wallabies captains agitating for leadership change earlier this year, meeting with then chairman Paul McLean about their gripes.

The period of turmoil that Rugby Australia underwent in the early part of 2020 ultimately culminated in Castle's resignation in April.

Rugby's politics have always been a tricky beast to manoeuvre but Kearns said he had confidence there was more unity in the game moving forward.

"I think everyone put the game's interests first, that's certainly what the captains tried to do and it's certainly what the public wants to see," he said.

"The way you develop trust in an organisation is delivering on what you say you're going to do and Hamish (chairman Hamish McLennan) and Rugby Australia over the past six or eight weeks have talked about is giving back to the grassroots and the grassroots will support you if you deliver to them.

"The indication is that it's heading that way and that's why there's a sense of confidence there and it's always what the captains of the Wallabies want, to act in the best interests of the game and we've said that to Hamish and he's got our 100 per cent support."

After retiring from rugby, Kearns has worked in the corporate world and said he felt he could bring expertise to this newly-created role.

"Over the least eight years, I've run two different organisations - one in the insurance world and one in the fin planning world. Before that I was in the investment banking world and started a business unit within Investec bank, a great sponsor of the game around the world," he said.

"So, the key to the success of those roles has been around building a team and getting a team working together so to be able to build a World Cup team in Australian rugby and also combine the knowledge of that board, I think that's a really important skill in trying to get this done.

"The other thing I hopefully bring is a wide array of contacts that can help us along that journey."

Australia is currently the front runner to host the 2027 World Cup but no other nations have officially announced plans to bid aside from Russia.

The USA has also been considered a contender while Kearns also said on Wednesday that the UK could be contemplating a bid as well.

While World Rugby has not formally announced an amended timeline for the bid process, it is expected the formal applications will open in February 2021 and the host will be announced in May 2022.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/0...rns-ceo-update
    "If you look at the numbers the last few World Cups, in Japan generated 7.5 million worth of economic value for Japan"

I think you mean 7.5 billions Phil.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    They wouldn’t want to be just CEO, they would want the role of Chair.

I just hope this doesn’t mean Rob Clarke gets a tilt at the job permanently. Mind you, he has said having the role only on a temporary basis gives him more latitude, so.....

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I didn't realise Geoff and John played for randwick. That IS what Kearns means when he says steeped in rugby

C'mon the